Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Sig mosquito??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig mosquito??

How is it? I shot it and loved it but I hear that its not the most reliable gun out there. I know its picky, (cci minni mags only) but that dosnt really bother me too much.
The one I shot was a rental (an exeptionaly dirty one) and shot 100 cci minni mags with no malfunctions. I just hear all kinds of mixed opinions on this gun and from what iv experianced, my opinion is that its a great gun! Anyone who owns one and has alot of trigger time on it leave a comment, Im currios as to why there are such mixed opinions on this gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #2

Liked 500 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 106

It appears to me they have QC issues. Good friend has one and she absolutely loves it. But with so many people complaining about them... my wife ended up with a buckmark instead. Kinda like our P22 that I bought used. I should have been on special alert when the guy took my low ball offer. Found the gun has ALL of the typical P22 problems. I've started working on it, and it's doing much better now and will typically feed everything except the first round. So, you take your chances, it may be good, or it may not.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #3

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

If it wasnt for the gods aweful triggers and four zillion ill thought out safety mechinisms they would be good guns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #4

Howdy,
I had one for a short while. Key word, short while!!!!! It was the most malfunction prone .22 I ever had. I traded it in on a Ruger MKlll and never regretted it. I have a friend with one and his was having malfunctions so he sent it back to Sig for warranty work on the problems. He got it back and it still is a crap shoot as to whether it will function. Not worth the time and effort for my opinion. Have a goodun!!!!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I've had mine for almost a year. I really have no complaints about it. I know from what I've read, the earlier ones had several issues. I know it has to be clean and wet and I've only run CCI mini-mags through it.

But I'll say I do like the gun.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #6

I do agree with you now that i look back jonm, I never liked the safety, but at the range, there is no need to use it(just keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times that its loaded). the trigger was heavy but that was one thing I liked about it. Especialy the double action trigger, its great revolver practice at a much lower price for ammo. If you can connect with that trigger, you can connect with most guns IMO. Another thing I liked was that the smaller and lighter designe gave the gun a good amount of muzzle blast and recoil. (at least compared to some of the larger .22s Iv shot, like the ruger mkIII) making it a little more fun to shoot at the range. Its a shame about the CQ problems you guys mentioned. That alone, is reason to reconsider my plans on buying one.

Last edited by gunkid9mm; 11-26-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

Liked 258 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i don't own one but have put a few down range with a couple different ones. first one i shot i was quite impressed with, trigger pull seemed a bit long but it was accurate & functioned well.

the second one i shot was a completely different gun. a guy & his wife had a pink one at the range, neither one of them had anything good to say about it. when they bought it the guy at the gun store said "this is what you need to shoot in it" & gave them a box of CCI 22 longs, not stingers, mini mags, or even long rifles...plain old .22 long. so needless to say they had nothing but problems with cycling. not the guns fault really, i suppose the guy just assumed anything CCI must be high velocity i gave them some of my federal bulks & it worked pretty well.

when i shot it, i noticed this one needed a different front sight because it shot nearly a foot low at 15 or so yards. a LOT of creep in the trigger, i kept squeezing it waiting for the tension & it just kept on going. compared to my Ruger Standard it seemed like it travelled forever. they were fed up & disgusted with it & i tried to convince them to give it a few rounds to break in & also take it back to the store they bought it from & get a different front sight but they seemed determined to return it & ask for their money back.

on a side note, i let her shoot my ruger & she loved it, said she wanted one of those instead

Old 11-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #8

dont dry fire or it wont shoot or thats what mine did anyway. stick with the ruger mark iii if want the good stuff

Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've dealt with two Mosquitos now. I owned one for about 2 years and my nephew has one. Both worked flawlessly with CCI mini mags but nothing else. I sold mine and plan on replacing it with a ruger mkIII hunter. Besides not eating any bulk ammo, it was an ok gun.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #10

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Some of the early (2005) Mosquitos were real crap! I know, I owned one. My wife got me one for a gift when they first hit the market. The gun failed to ............ just about everything. Sent it back twice and Sig's customer service folks replaced it with another pistol. That one still had issues, but not as many. It took several emails with Sig CS, before I learned they really like to be lubed. There is a lube channel drilled in the slide to lube the extractor often. Once I found that out, it performed much better. Perhaps it just needs a good break-in, but still needs to be cleaned every 200 rds or so. Now an occasional fail to feed when dirty, but otherwise is a very accurate little plinker.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved