Sig 522, plinker heaven
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Sig 522, plinker heaven

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sig 522, plinker heaven

Sold my HK91 the other day and decided to get another "Fun Gun" that didnt cost so much to shoot. I went to sportsmans warehouse to pick up a GSG-5 and saw a tag that said SIG 522! I hadnt seen nor heard of it but I picked it up and fell in love at first touch. Sure, it cost $500 but the mags are easy to find online and it was an all aluminum upper. The S&W and Ruger both seemed a lil excessive. If I am going to spend that much on an AR lookalike, Id just as soon buy an AR for a couple hundred more.

I noticed it didnt have any iron sights but I can do with a red dot for now. I will invest in irons at some point. This thing has also got me looking hard into a sig 556.

First day at the range, it was -10. I lubed it up, loaded the mag and blew through 200 rounds with not a single malfunction. I had a BSA red dot lieing around so I threw it on, it sighted in in 5 shots, and I was getting 1.5" groups offhand at 50 yards and the same on bench at 100. I was shooting all CCI mini mag ammo.

I tried to fold the stock and it was a Pain in the butt. I finally got it to snap into the forgrip tab but it took some doing. I'm sure it will get smoother as the time goes. I ordered 4 more mags and a rail set from sig to go on it as well. Should be a lot of fun when it gets warmer. I would like to see whats up with the lil storage tube where the 556's gas tube is located.

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Veeerryyy nice, Zac. Looks plain next to the AK in .223...I'm just sayin.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #3

Its only just begun... I have some plans for it... a lighter red dot for starters

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 01-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Look up JoshX3Magazine. He loves his, and I just drooled on my keyboard. So thanks.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great looking rimfire!

I just ordered my daughter a Umarex M4 OPS.

I look forward to your range report.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Great looking rimfire!

I just ordered my daughter a Umarex M4 OPS.

I look forward to your range report.
Can you adopt me, Cane? I'm housebroken...

Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Can you adopt me, Cane? I'm housebroken...
Can you shoot a Colt with a pink hand grip?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Can you shoot a Colt with a pink hand grip?
Pink is my favorite color...

Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds like an excellent rifle. Congrats!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #10

Took mine out to the rang on Saturday last. I installed a BSA RGB dot sight on it. I was shooting 3 types of ammo: CCI Minimags, Federal bulk HV, and Winchester Xpert HV bulk.

After zeroing the gun and firing 400+ rounds, I had 1 failure to fire from the CCI, 1 failure to fire from the Winchester and no failures of any kind with the Federal bulk. Using the smallest blue dot, I got 1-1.5 inch groups at 25 yards. The end result was a ragged hole in the target and none out of the 9 ring. So far, this rifle feels the best of all my "black rifle" .22s. The rifle feels more solid than my GSG-5 or Colt M4 .22. Tear down for cleaning is a snap. The take down pins are captured so there is no fear of losing the pins. Be careful though and make sure the bolt is completely forward during take down. I found out the hard way and had the whole recoil spring/buffer assembly shoot out the back of the rifle. the recoil spring is held to the guide rod by a very small washer that is itself retained by a very small e-clip. I was able to find the e-clip but not the washer. SIG is sending me out 3 of the washers at no cost. In any case, rifle is really easy to clean provided you make sure the bolt is fully forward when you break the gun down. I have not shot the S&W MP 15-22 but, I doubt it will surpass the SG522 in quality or performance. IMHO, this is by far the best of the "black rifle" .22s I currently own.