Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > should I get a .22

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Sorry OP for de-railing your thread...

My answer is an emphatic YES!!! A .22 is a must have for any shooter. The platform matters none, they are inexpensive to shoot, great training tools and just plain fuuuuuunnnn!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #52

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56
Boy it's impossible to get a point across without people distorting what you say. I said the AR .22's "look like" human killers, which like it or not is what an AR was designed to do. Sure they can be used to hunt or target shoot but you don't need 30 rounds to kill a deer guys. At least I don't.

The military uses AR's because they are very effective at killing humans. That's my point. They are designed for that purpose just as a Thompson is. I don't see anything that makes me think otherwise. The fact no one listed an actual reason for an AR .22 proves that point. They mimic guns designed to kill people. There's no denying that.

And gladesbassin, you aren't jumping all over me but you're calling me close minded and other things that most people would see as insulting. Read your post again then tell me why saying that isn't jumping on me. I said what I said because it's true pal. You did just what libs do. You attacked me and didn't address the issue. Again, what does an AR do that other .22's can't do BETTER. It has nothing to do with the rifle being "modern". I have very similar rifles myself only I have the real deal, not a toy version. There's no good reason for a .22 looking like that except personal preference. That's a legitimate reason of course but it's also legit to think people who own them might be mass killer wannabes. Again if you saw a group of Arabs with similar rifles what would you think? Address the issue of winning the hearts and minds of the gun grabbers please or don't expect a reply in the future.

Again there is nothing wrong with wanting a gun like that. Heck you can paint your gun pink with purple polka dots if you like. But you create an image when you do these things and that image contributes to us losing our gun rights. And for what? To have a gun that "looks cool"? Not to me they don't. I think they hurt our image for no good reason. If you had a good reason it would be different. But they have no advantage over other .22's.

I've explained my position. I'm done. I've seen nothing to make me change my view that playing dress up with a .22 only makes things worse for all gun owners. IMO buying a .22 because it looks like a battle carbine is a fad that will die soon. But it could cause damage to the rights of gun owners of this country before it's over. I just don't ignore the image they create like some do. Sure you have the right to buy one. For now. I hope to continue to have the right to own firearms. I certainly don't support any ban on buying any .22 or any gun up to the level of a grenade launcher. But I'll believe until I die that dressing up a .22 to look like a battle carbine makes people wonder what's going on in your head. If you saw an Arab with a .22 that looked like an AK I'll bet you would wonder why he had it even if you knew it was a .22. Does he dream of owning the real thing but just can't afford it? And again, I can see lots of reasons for owning the real thing. I don't see many for owning a dressed up .22.

It's like looking at a Goth. You know it's just some kid inside all that stuff. But you wonder why they dressed up like a demon. Well maybe you don't but you can bet a lot of people think that. It's the same human but why do they want to look that way?
You say the AR and Thompson were designed to "kill humans". If you use that mentality you can say that John Browning, Samuel Colt, and Gaston Glocks inventions are all "human killers", since they make weapons for military. Correct? Another thing you are using kids dressed in Goth look like "demons", really? I would think "demons" would look a lot more scary!!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2686 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 261

What's wrong with "Human Killers?" I don't hunt bears or deer or other cute fuzzy Disney characters.
The argument has been made on occasion that all hanguns are made to kill people. I have a decent collection of handguns. My AR, my SKS and my CX4 were not purchased for hunting game animals, they are primarily designed for anti-personnel use. So what? If for some reason a human in my general vicinity needs a lawful killing, then I have some useful tools for the job.
To the anti gunners a 12 yo on his family's land with a 10/22 and a brick of ammo is a problem that requires more laws. These are the same people to whom 2 or more firearms is an "arsenal," regardless of caliber. As for an AR looking .22 LR, if someone likes them, great. I've no actual use for one, but I get the attraction. If someone get their panties in a bunch over how menacing some gun looks, well they just need to grow the hell up. If they can't, well then, tough $h^t! The world needs to stop accommodating these idiots.
The second amendment wasn't about cute, pleasant looking firearms, it's about a constitutional right of self defense. Self defense generally means against other "Humans" and may actually come down to "Killing." So be it.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #54

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
not everyone can afford to spend the money on a real AR and they want one very badly, so they buy a rimfire 22 AR lookalike, and i see nothing wrong with that. a lot of people put 22 rimfire conversions on their AR's for practice, and i see nothing wrong with that either. the way we win hearts and minds, is not with our choices of firearms, but by our actions and deeds, by being safe and responible gun owners.
Believe it or not I understand all that. And I agree with it. But there is something to what I say even if no one actually even reads what I said. I'm still trying to counter stuff I never said. No matter how many times I say I never said a particular thing no one seems to notice. For example I never called a .22 a "human killer". I also don't think there's anything wrong with a human killer. I have several myself. I'm tired of telling people that so this is my last post.

I'll say it one more time. People are better off with traditional .22's whether they know it or not. I'm not trying to limit what they can buy. I'm only talking about what many people think when they see a .22 that's made to look like an AR. Just like the boards that kick you off if you use the word "sniper" there's something to keeping the gun grabbers from thinking we're all wannabe killers and like it or not seeing a .22 dressed up to look like an AR makes them think you are just like those guys who want a sniper rifle even though they aren't snipers.

People aren't afraid to say it's a bad idea to use the word "sniper". Why should they fear saying .22 AR's make you look like a kook? And that's the bottom line. I don't think that but I sure know people who do. It makes a LOT more sense to own a real AR IMO. They have a really good reason to exist. But a .22 AR looks an awful lot like a wannabe rifle. And knowing what I know - that they aren't accurate, they're overly complex, they don't really help you deal with a real AR or shoot an AR, and they cost far more than other, better rifles - I think the bad impressions they create outweighs the fantasy stuff that motivates people to buy them. Sorry but that's what I think. There's nothing wrong with fantasy btw.

Last edited by Jeff56; 09-13-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #55

Quote:
..."Human Killers?" ...AR... SKS and ...CX4 ...are primarily designed for anti-personnel use.
Have you even read the second amendment? Why do you want to take our guns away? Why do you think there's something wrong with human killers? Gee whiz guy. We have to defend ourselves. I don't understand people like you that want to take our guns away.

Last edited by Jeff56; 09-13-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #56

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The thing is that those anti gunners can't and won't Differentiate between the caliber. They are all ar's to them. You can tell, I can tell most firearm enthusiasts can tell but they don't care. Why do they sell a .22 conversion kit for ar-15's then if it's not cheaper and almost the same thing to practice with? I can understand your case to a certain extent but I know ALOT of ar-15 owners who also own either the conversion kit or a .22 in the same platform. I also know some folks who can put bullets on target at 100 yds, what else would you need?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #57
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I just want to know one thing - why? Why buy a gun that is more complex, not nearly as accurate, doesn't hold as many rounds and makes a lot of people look at you like they figure you're just trying to cook up a reason to shoot a bunch of people. Everyone has the right to do what they want of course and I sure ain't one to spoil anyone's fun but I just don't see any fun in it. To each his own I guess but I do try to remember that we are in a public relations war and having real guns designed to look like human killers makes a lot of people go "hmmm...". I see reasons to have real human killers. Sometimes we do have to defend ourselves. I just don't see the appeal of owning what is essentially a wannabe human killer. And yes I know they will kill. That doesn't make it better. It makes things worse IMO. Are you aware that people think you're using them to kill helpless animals and they wonder if you're warming up to killing humans? They see those weapons portrayed as man killers on tv and they wonder why a person wants a less powerful version. They aren't good for self defense. They aren't good for much of anything except looking like something they aren't.

Yeah it's just my opinion but a lot of people share it. They don't say so on these boards because - well just hide and watch and you'll see why.
thats like saying looking at a female in public is warm up for committing rape...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #58
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20860 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
Believe it or not I understand all that. And I agree with it. But there is something to what I say even if no one actually even reads what I said. I'm still trying to counter stuff I never said. No matter how many times I say I never said a particular thing no one seems to notice. For example I never called a .22 a "human killer". I also don't think there's anything wrong with a human killer. I have several myself. I'm tired of telling people that so this is my last post.

I'll say it one more time. People are better off with traditional .22's whether they know it or not. I'm not trying to limit what they can buy. I'm only talking about what many people think when they see a .22 that's made to look like an AR. Just like the boards that kick you off if you use the word "sniper" there's something to keeping the gun grabbers from thinking we're all wannabe killers and like it or not seeing a .22 dressed up to look like an AR makes them think you are just like those guys who want a sniper rifle even though they aren't snipers.

People aren't afraid to say it's a bad idea to use the word "sniper". Why should they fear saying .22 AR's make you look like a kook? And that's the bottom line. I don't think that but I sure know people who do. It makes a LOT more sense to own a real AR IMO. They have a really good reason to exist. But a .22 AR looks an awful lot like a wannabe rifle. And knowing what I know - that they aren't accurate, they're overly complex, they don't really help you deal with a real AR or shoot an AR, and they cost far more than other, better rifles - I think the bad impressions they create outweighs the fantasy stuff that motivates people to buy them. Sorry but that's what I think. There's nothing wrong with fantasy btw.
Jeff, let's put this in logical terms. anti-gunners don't care what firearm we have, or what it looks like, because they already have their minds made up as to what they think about us. most of them think only LE or the military should have firearms to begin with and put their safety in the hands of others.

manufacterers build what sells and there are several rimfire AR's on the market that sell pretty well. i asked you this before, what is the difference in owning a rimfire 22 that looks like an AR or owning an AR? and fron a distance of say 20-25 feet, do you think someone that doesn't know about guns can tell the difference between them? there are a couple on the market, even i would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them!

and what bad impressions do they create? just because someone owns and shoots a rimfire AR vs. a real AR? i'm sorry this just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
vincent Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #59

Quote:
Why do they sell a .22 conversion kit for ar-15's then if it's not cheaper and almost the same thing to practice with?
Those conversion kits are more expensive than most .22's that come complete and they don't shoot well. Practicing with a rifle that hit what you aim at is not a very god way to practice either.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #60

Quote:
and what bad impressions do they create? just because someone owns and shoots a rimfire AR vs. a real AR? i'm sorry this just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
I'm sorry you can't comprehend the obvious friend. They create the impression that people that own them are kooks. You want it straight. There it is. It's just like the person who wants to buy a cheap sniper rifle. I've seen lots of those posts. I've seen lots of moderators close those threads because it makes people look like kooks. In the case of sniper rifles it looks like someone who gets on top of a building and shoots at random students on a campus. In the case of AR's it's people who take battle carbines and shoot up a school or a theater. If you don't know that's happening you aren't paying attention.

Closed Thread