should I get a .22 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > should I get a .22

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon
you can have pistol grips, AFG/VFG, etc but youd have to use a bullet button to make the magazine fixed by removing it with a tool such as a bullet or screw driver.

.22 rimfires arent subjected to these CA AW laws so theres no need for a bullet button and you can have all the evil features you want except for the SBR, silencer, full auto, grenade launcher, etc

i have an AR15 and i plan to buy that .22 CMMG conversion kit and will take off my bullet button when i shoot it

Can you get a mag that holds more then 10 bullets

Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. All around great gun in my opinion. The smith&wesson ar15 22 is also nice if your looking for ar style 22.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd have to disagree that the Mossberg 715T is not a good choice if this is going to be the first AR style .22. I have one and it is a lot of fun.

It is not a true AR style, but it is fun to shoot, and is as reliable as you allow it to be.
If you plan to never clean your gun, or to shoot crap ammo, do yourself a favor and get something else.

If you are OK with spending a negligible amount of money to get better .22 LR ammo, and are able to clean your gun every 250 rounds, I would recommend this gun.

For plinking/target shooting, you can easily product sub 1" clusters from 50 yards regularly. This is the absolute cheapest setup that I own and others love to shoot it. I have put ~2500 rounds through it with only a handful of issues. Mainly it is the failure to fully eject with cheap/dirty ammo (Walmart Winchester 22LR 550 pack, Remington Hollow Points/Rim Mag, or Federal Lightning).

Just remember, you are purchasing a 702 Plinkster with a plastic AR look clamshell. Here is mine, works great.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #24

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just want to know one thing - why? Why buy a gun that is more complex, not nearly as accurate, doesn't hold as many rounds and makes a lot of people look at you like they figure you're just trying to cook up a reason to shoot a bunch of people. Everyone has the right to do what they want of course and I sure ain't one to spoil anyone's fun but I just don't see any fun in it. To each his own I guess but I do try to remember that we are in a public relations war and having real guns designed to look like human killers makes a lot of people go "hmmm...". I see reasons to have real human killers. Sometimes we do have to defend ourselves. I just don't see the appeal of owning what is essentially a wannabe human killer. And yes I know they will kill. That doesn't make it better. It makes things worse IMO. Are you aware that people think you're using them to kill helpless animals and they wonder if you're warming up to killing humans? They see those weapons portrayed as man killers on tv and they wonder why a person wants a less powerful version. They aren't good for self defense. They aren't good for much of anything except looking like something they aren't.

Yeah it's just my opinion but a lot of people share it. They don't say so on these boards because - well just hide and watch and you'll see why.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #25

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What makes an ar platform rifle a human killer? You upgraded your tv's to flat screen right? Technology has changed and firearms have modernized. .22 is a very common caliber for varmint/small game hunting and why not do it with a modern rifle that will hold more rounds if needed? Just cause the firearm doesn't have wood on it doesn't make it a human killer, it makes it a lighter more modern rifle. Folks that portray these firearms as "human killers" are obviously scared of them and that's their right..but I'm also scared of those people because when SHTF they are the weak links looking for food,shelter and protection. Just cause it's not a bolt action rifle doesn't make it less effective.

End rant.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #26

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh and it's alot cheaper to practice with something like that then shooting off 5.56 or any other caliber that "human killers" use.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
I just want to know one thing - why? Why buy a gun that is more complex, not nearly as accurate, doesn't hold as many rounds and makes a lot of people look at you like they figure you're just trying to cook up a reason to shoot a bunch of people. Everyone has the right to do what they want of course and I sure ain't one to spoil anyone's fun but I just don't see any fun in it. To each his own I guess but I do try to remember that we are in a public relations war and having real guns designed to look like human killers makes a lot of people go "hmmm...". I see reasons to have real human killers. Sometimes we do have to defend ourselves. I just don't see the appeal of owning what is essentially a wannabe human killer. And yes I know they will kill. That doesn't make it better. It makes things worse IMO. Are you aware that people think you're using them to kill helpless animals and they wonder if you're warming up to killing humans? They see those weapons portrayed as man killers on tv and they wonder why a person wants a less powerful version. They aren't good for self defense. They aren't good for much of anything except looking like something they aren't.

Yeah it's just my opinion but a lot of people share it. They don't say so on these boards because - well just hide and watch and you'll see why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesbassin View Post
What makes an ar platform rifle a human killer? You upgraded your tv's to flat screen right? Technology has changed and firearms have modernized. .22 is a very common caliber for varmint/small game hunting and why not do it with a modern rifle that will hold more rounds if needed? Just cause the firearm doesn't have wood on it doesn't make it a human killer, it makes it a lighter more modern rifle. Folks that portray these firearms as "human killers" are obviously scared of them and that's their right..but I'm also scared of those people because when SHTF they are the weak links looking for food,shelter and protection. Just cause it's not a bolt action rifle doesn't make it less effective.

End rant.
i'm sorry Jeff, but i have to agree with Glades on this. just because a 22 looks like an AR doesn't make it a "human killer". any firearm is capable of killing another human being. the firearm isn't the problem, but the person who uses it and how they use it. your description of a 22 that looks like an AR is a very liberal mindset one, and i have to disagree with that description. if people view an AR platform firearm as a "human killer", then they are the ones with issues, not the owner of the firearm.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2271 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post

Wow. Somebody has been drinking some bad kool-aid.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #29

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56

You can call any gun a "human killer". You can call any weapon a "human killer". You can call a pencil a "human killer". If you have that mentality, you might want to get on a different forum.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #30

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Now you see why no one ever mentions this. I didn't say an AR was a human killer. I said it "looks like" a human killer. It isn't a modernized version of anything. It's a Halloween gun dressed up to be something it ain't. Kool Aid? Here I thought it was the "TactiKool" people that were doing that. There's zero reason for a .22 to look like an AR folks except that people like to pretend. I like guns, not toys. And I've been shooting .22's for 50 years so don't bother explaining to me what they will do. Sure they're cheaper to shoot than the real thing. A Marlin 60 is even cheaper. So is a 10/22. And all of them will shoot about the same speed except the Ruger and the Marlin won't jam as much and both will be more accurate.

Not one of you addressed the issue. Do you not look at people dressed like Goths and wonder if they have a screw loose? Think about it. You really think people don't believe that about AR .22's. They've seen how many shootings on their tv screens. Grown men having a toy version of AR's make people think you have a screw loose friends. I'm not trying to insult you. I'm trying to get you to realize we need to win the hearts and minds of people or they will take guns away from us. And having what amounts to a cheap version of a real man killing machine makes people wonder what you're thinking whether you like it or not.

They aren't accurate, they're way overpriced, they aren't reliable, and they don't hold any more ammo than other .22's (like Ruger 10/22's). All people can think to say is that one model is easy to clean. So is my Marlin 60 but it costs about a third of what that M&P15-22 costs. It shoots just as fast and a lot more accurate. And that M&P15-22 is about the best version of the AR wannabe's that you can find. My friend bought a different model that won't shoot a foot pattern at 10 yards. No joke. You can't kill many varmints with a gun like that. And BTW a M&P15-22 weighs the same as a Marlin 795.

I told you people would jump all over me for saying my piece. Well here goes again. If you want to win the hearts and minds of people who vote on gun issues then it's best you don't look like a grown man playing with a dangerous toy and one that replicates rifles that people use to go on a murderous rampage. I can see a lot more reason to own the real thing. You might need one for protection some day. But I see zero reason to own a .22 that looks like an AR other than they look "tacticool". I stopped being impressed by what's cool when I was 12. I remember when things like drugs and free love were considered cool. Being cool really did great things for the world - not. And just what would you think if you saw a group of Arab men carrying around AR looking rifles? Do you not realize that many people think the same thing about anyone that might shoot up a mall or a school?

So what real advantage does one of those rifles actually give you except being "cool"? If you can name just one I'll be impressed. If you want to shoot .22 ammo there are much cheaper and/or better rifles to do it with. I really don't get it at all. And I'm willing to let you all be mad at me for saying my piece because I really believe those rifles do real damage to our image. And if didn't care about image why would you want a fake AR? Only the image I'm talking about causes people to vote for gun grabbers. Sure that isn't fair but it's true. I'd rather win the war than stand up for a principle that won't help win the war one bit.

If you want a real AR then great. There are real reasons for owning those. But a toy version of an AR? I gotta tell you people think you're a little off for wanting those. It's like you're a mass killer in training in their eyes. It isn't fair or right but it's true.

Last edited by Jeff56; 09-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Closed Thread