should I get a .22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > should I get a .22

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheHunter100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 190
Default should I get a .22

I'm thinking of getting a .22 I saw at big 5 it was only $300 it was an ar 15. I would like to have one just for target shooting because I can't take my shotgun or 30-30 to the range. What should I look for in a .22?

__________________
TheHunter100 is offline  
 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

yes by all means get a 22! the cheapest fun you can have shooting. now which one you pick is all about personal preference. some like a bolt action, some like the SA's, some like a lever and so on. depending on which rifle you choose and the brand of ammo used, some are every bit as accurate as a centerfire rifle, but much cheaper to shoot.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,323
Liked 263 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

.22's are great for keeping in tune for hunting season and you can shoot in rimfire matchs that can humble a good hunter. But the AR type .22s are really more of a fun gun only. You can buy a Marlin 60 or 795 and feel your freezer with rabbits and tree rat and still out shoot perhaps all the AR type 22s for half the money or buy a Savage or CZ bolt rifle for the price of different ARs and make some some interesting small groups. And I mean shooting moa or less with good ammo of your rifles choice at 100 yards. .

__________________
hardluk1 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
.22's are great for keeping in tune for hunting season and you can shoot in rimfire matchs that can humble a good hunter. But the AR type .22s are really more of a fun gun only. You can buy a Marlin 60 or 795 and feel your freezer with rabbits and tree rat and still out shoot perhaps all the AR type 22s for half the money or buy a Savage or CZ bolt rifle for the price of different ARs and make some some interesting small groups. And I mean shooting moa or less with good ammo of your rifles choice at 100 yards. .
Hardluk, very good points and advice there. yes the AR type 22's are going to be more fun, but a good semi auto or bolt action is much better for honing you rifle shooting skills on and are much better for hunting.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheHunter100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Hardluk, very good points and advice there. yes the AR type 22's are going to be more fun, but a good semi auto or bolt action is much better for honing you rifle shooting skills on and are much better for hunting.
I live in California so its a semi auto ar type 22
__________________
TheHunter100 is offline  
 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

Ever check out the ruger 10/22 takedown ?

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
tshoot91 Likes This 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheHunter100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Ever check out the ruger 10/22 takedown ?
Looking for an ar style 22
__________________
TheHunter100 is offline  
 
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

I guess none of us understand your question. You asked 'what should I look for in a .22?' Right?
What it appears you meant was 'what's the best AR style .22 in the $300 price range?'

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheHunter100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I guess none of us understand your question. You asked 'what should I look for in a .22?' Right?
What it appears you meant was 'what's the best AR style .22 in the $300 price range?'
Ya my fault I could of sworn I added that. And its a 22lr if that means anything
__________________
TheHunter100 is offline  
 
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,872
Liked 2220 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Default

Let's see... should you buy a .22?

Does a bear... well you get the point.

I have a Smith & Wesson AR15-22 and love it. Since it is a true two-piece AR design, it is dirt simple to clean and maintain. And you can accessorize it with any after-market AR furniture.

As far as shooting it, it is my more fun than a barrel of monkeys gun. Anytime I've taken it out with friends to shoot, it is the gun everyone wants to get their hands on.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads