Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Shooting bags or bipod for 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Shooting bags or bipod for 10/22

I added a 3-9x40 scope to my 10/22 yesterday and had it bore sighted, but haven't been out to shoot yet. My question is, should I get a bipod or shooting bags? I have the standard wood stock carbine and I don know enough yet to be able to decide on my own. I'm guessing it'll be a personal choice issue, but I'd like to hear some pros/cons for each option.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #2

Liked 342 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadiloroadkil
I added a 3-9x40 scope to my 10/22 yesterday and had it bore sighted, but haven't been out to shoot yet. My question is, should I get a bipod or shooting bags? I have the standard wood stock carbine and I don know enough yet to be able to decide on my own. I'm guessing it'll be a personal choice issue, but I'd like to hear some pros/cons for each option.
Personally, I would go with a Bi-pod. I've been shooting off of sand bags at my range with my mossy since I've had it (not even a month yet) and the bags are a little bit of a pain to move around.

If you plan on getting your own set a bags, it would just mean more weight to carry with you to the range, however far/close that may be. With a bi-pod, you basically grab your rifle and your set. You also have more control over the hight with a bi-pod then you do with using sand bags.

But like you said, it's also a personal choice too, so someone might take the bags over the pod.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #3

Liked 206 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I don't like a bi-pods as they have a limited height adjustment . Never used front sand bags much in general. I have used one adjustable front rifle rest for 30 years when shooting for accuracy. http://www.integrityoutdoorbrands.com/product/bench-rest.htm Looks like this but orange in color. But I understand how a Bi-pod would be use in a field setting for critter shooting.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use this --> http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Shooting-Photography-Tactical-Tripod/dp/B003ITG5UE/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1328557033&sr=1-6 Adjusts quite high if needed (such as standing) or low (such as kneeling).

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1647 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Fill some bags with air soft pellets. Light weight and works. You could also use rice but it is a little heavier. Sand weighs too much. You can find zipper bags at an office supply or try to get a couple of cash bags from your bank. You can get a new front band with an integral short rail and attach a bipod to it. Easy on and off. You could also screw a scope mount to the bottom of your stock for a bipod.

ruger-1.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #6

I prefer a bipod because it's always ready for use. I don't usually carry a sand bag with me.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I use CAA Bipods on three of my Rifles, and they work great. Their adjustable height, and easy set-up, make for a great day at the Range.

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. All those ideas and rigs are great and allot of good ideas also . Sand bags are better to get dialed in and shooting tightest groups possible with what ever ammo your gun likes.A bi-pod will let shots go a little high so sight in with it do to the bounce on recoil were sand bags let it move strait back like i said depends on what you are going to do . For field use I would use a bi-bod don't want to carry bags around and it is lite and easy to deploy. good luck