Shooter
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Shooter

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shooter

I watched a movie the other day titled "Shooter" staring Mark Wahlberg. In this movie he duct tapped a plastic mountian dew bottle to the end of the barrel and used it as a silencer. Does this work, or is there a lot more to it that the movie did not show?

HAVE FUN

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

It's called a ghetto silencer.
I've tried it; didn’t work very well.
I even tried filling the bottle with steel wool and drilling some extra air relief holes. Still very loud.
But it sure works great in the movies.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It only works with Dr. Pepper bottles.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #4

Liked 134 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 241

i just caught that movie the other day as well....found it entertaining.

reminded me of an earlier flick called "the package" with dennis franz and gene hackman.....similar set up/framing type plot....

that was one bad ass girlfriend his partner had too.....

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It only works in the movies. Even if it did work you wouldn't have any kind of accuracy.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9206 Times on 3972 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

If by "Does it work?", you mean "Can it get you 10 years in a Federal prison?", well, yes, it works quite well. If you attach ANYTHING to a firearm that reduces the noise evenly slightly, you have an unlicensed suppressor, and can get to meet the folks in cheap suits with bulges.

If by "Does it work?" you mean "Is it an effective suppressor?", then no, it is not. If that really worked, folks would not be paying Yankee Hill Machine $350 for a suppressor- we'd all be down rooting thru the recycling bins.

And I really don't mean this as a slam- but have been hearing that one for years- along with "pull the nipple of a baby bottle over the muzzle" and "Stick a potato on the muzzle." (Irish, Sweet, Baked or mashed??) And my favorite "Dad said they used to put a rubber over the muzzle." Yes- if Dad was in a landing craft- you did that to keep water and crap out of the bore.

PART of the sound of a weapon firing is the muzzle blast- which a suppressor helps tame. The action cycling also makes noise- as does the KERACK! of a bullet breaking the sound barrier- suppressor do nothing for those two.

However, you might search the term Silent Without a Suppressor. Yes, legal. Yes, limited but effective. I use CCI CB Longs in a Remington 550-1. Limited range and power- BUT- quiet enuff you hear bullet hit target- and that 550 will cycle them as a semi-auto. No suppressor, no ATF paperwork, and no "Bubba" for a roommate for the next 10 years.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wasn't thinking about the legal aspect when I asked the question. I thought if it worked even marginally it would be fun to play with this summer in my back yard. Just a few months ago there was 30 acres of 8 foot tall corn back there. Sadly, this year it will be planted in beans. They are only waist high. We really like the "green" fence but we enjoy the short beens also.

HAVE FUN

Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #8

Liked 356 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

And I really don't mean this as a slam- but have been hearing that one for years- along with "pull the nipple of a baby bottle over the muzzle" and "Stick a potato on the muzzle." (Irish, Sweet, Baked or mashed??) And my favorite "Dad said they used to put a rubber over the muzzle." Yes- if Dad was in a landing craft- you did that to keep water and crap out of the bore.
You forgot holding a pillow in front of the muzzle.....

Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I think this has been asked and answered.

Not the type of thread for our open forums....

JD

Closed Thread