Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Shooter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/shooter-22097/)

bigtiller 01-12-2010 05:55 PM

Shooter

I watched a movie the other day titled "Shooter" staring Mark Wahlberg. In this movie he duct tapped a plastic mountian dew bottle to the end of the barrel and used it as a silencer. Does this work, or is there a lot more to it that the movie did not show?

Jo da Plumbr 01-12-2010 06:26 PM

It's called a ghetto silencer.
I've tried it; didnít work very well.
I even tried filling the bottle with steel wool and drilling some extra air relief holes. Still very loud.
But it sure works great in the movies.

CA357 01-12-2010 07:08 PM

It only works with Dr. Pepper bottles.

Mack Bolan 01-12-2010 08:20 PM

i just caught that movie the other day as well....found it entertaining.

reminded me of an earlier flick called "the package" with dennis franz and gene hackman.....similar set up/framing type plot....

that was one bad ass girlfriend his partner had too.....

stalkingbear 01-12-2010 09:48 PM

It only works in the movies. Even if it did work you wouldn't have any kind of accuracy.

c3shooter 01-13-2010 12:17 AM

If by "Does it work?", you mean "Can it get you 10 years in a Federal prison?", well, yes, it works quite well. If you attach ANYTHING to a firearm that reduces the noise evenly slightly, you have an unlicensed suppressor, and can get to meet the folks in cheap suits with bulges.

If by "Does it work?" you mean "Is it an effective suppressor?", then no, it is not. If that really worked, folks would not be paying Yankee Hill Machine $350 for a suppressor- we'd all be down rooting thru the recycling bins.

And I really don't mean this as a slam- but have been hearing that one for years- along with "pull the nipple of a baby bottle over the muzzle" and "Stick a potato on the muzzle." (Irish, Sweet, Baked or mashed??) And my favorite "Dad said they used to put a rubber over the muzzle." Yes- if Dad was in a landing craft- you did that to keep water and crap out of the bore.

PART of the sound of a weapon firing is the muzzle blast- which a suppressor helps tame. The action cycling also makes noise- as does the KERACK! of a bullet breaking the sound barrier- suppressor do nothing for those two.

However, you might search the term Silent Without a Suppressor. Yes, legal. Yes, limited but effective. I use CCI CB Longs in a Remington 550-1. Limited range and power- BUT- quiet enuff you hear bullet hit target- and that 550 will cycle them as a semi-auto. No suppressor, no ATF paperwork, and no "Bubba" for a roommate for the next 10 years.

bigtiller 01-13-2010 01:28 AM

I wasn't thinking about the legal aspect when I asked the question. I thought if it worked even marginally it would be fun to play with this summer in my back yard. Just a few months ago there was 30 acres of 8 foot tall corn back there. Sadly, this year it will be planted in beans. They are only waist high. We really like the "green" fence but we enjoy the short beens also.

Highpower 01-13-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 211940)

And I really don't mean this as a slam- but have been hearing that one for years- along with "pull the nipple of a baby bottle over the muzzle" and "Stick a potato on the muzzle." (Irish, Sweet, Baked or mashed??) And my favorite "Dad said they used to put a rubber over the muzzle." Yes- if Dad was in a landing craft- you did that to keep water and crap out of the bore.

You forgot holding a pillow in front of the muzzle..... :p

Dillinger 01-13-2010 02:18 AM

Well, I think this has been asked and answered.

Not the type of thread for our open forums....

JD