Sent in the paperwork for a suppressor/silencer today - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Sent in the paperwork for a suppressor/silencer today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 432 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Got mine recently. It took 10 months and I submitted it as a trust. Best thing is to just forget that you've even applied. The wait is terrible.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default The Wait

I've been submitting NFA paperwork off and on since the late 80's when I got my MP5. Over the last several years I've been submitting paper on suppressors and it used to be about three to four months before Obama (BO). I had paperwork in the works during and just after the regime change and was talking to a NFA agent on the phone during the wait and asked what the "normal" wait time was. He said, very slowly, "normal left the building in November." I had to laugh even though it meant that my wait was going to be long, long, long. I recently talked to my Class 3 dealer friend who said that in our area it is averaging 10 to 13 months with some going to 15 months, trust or individual. I agree that the best thing is to forget the paperwork and just go on without thinking about it because it is such a nice surprise when they call and tell you to come get your transfer. There is no sense in worrying about it or it will drive you to try and do something and there is nothing you can do, except call and make a pest of yourself. That does not help. Examiners are human and don't like being bothered. They lost a few examiners some time back and were slow in replacing them but now seem to be handling the transfers much better - the backlog is huge though. As they explained to me, if there is anything wrong with your paperwork, it will be sent back to be fixed and you go to the back of the line when it is returned to them. So, sit back and enjoy the wait!
“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh
Old 05-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
What changed in 2000? Transfers to trusts is written into the original NFA law. That is why it would take an act of congress to get rid of trust transfers and our POTUS can't wave his pen and make them disappear.

I mailed a form 4 in June 2013 and got the stamp last April. So 10 months average right now but the ATF claims they have boosted staff and cut the backlog from 90k to 70k. I'm sending a form 1 in very soon. I guess I'll be waiting 6+ months to find out since e-file is down

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Revocable Living Trusts were not written into the NFA as an acceptable transferee. Corporations and LLCs and some other legal entities are. It took an ATF decision to add them.