Sent in the paperwork for a suppressor/silencer today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Sent in the paperwork for a suppressor/silencer today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default Sent in the paperwork for a suppressor/silencer today

I sent in my paperwork to the ATF for a Gemtech GM-22 suppressor today for my M&P 15-22. Got a decent price ($325, MSRP $395) and the local dealer provided all the paperwork other than taking photo's for the Form 4. Got the pictures taken last weekend and had the local police chief sign off on it a few days ago. Since I'm a police volunteer, he was happy to do it and is considering one for a hog rifle himself. He asked how long it's taking these days and I said I'm not sure but if it's like the SBR I built a few years back, probably 7-9 months. Since I also submitted the SBR paperwork in May and received the stamp just after Christmas, we'll see whether this stamp takes less time or more.

Anyway, has anyone recently received a stamp for a suppressor/silencer and how long did it take the BATF to return the paperwork?

Last edited by rachilders; 05-09-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3283 Times on 2233 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Could not tell ya because I have only started the process for FFL recently

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I'm on the fence right now about getting one for my 22/45 that I bought a couple of months ago, where I live I was told about a 9 to 10 month wait ..... I really should get off my butt and do it though

Old 05-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Boy View Post
I really should get off my butt and do it though
yes you should!! the 22/45 is the best suppressor host in 22lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
I sent in my paperwork to the ATF for a Gemtech GM-22 suppressor today for my M&P 15-22. Got a decent price ($325, MSRP $395) and the local dealer provided all the paperwork other than taking photo's for the Form 4. Got the pictures taken last weekend and had the local police chief sign off on it a few days ago. Since I'm a police volunteer, he was happy to do it and is considering one for a hog rifle himself. He asked how long it's taking these days and I said I'm not sure but if it's like the SBR I built a few years back, probably 7-9 months. Since I also submitted the SBR paperwork in May and received the stamp just after Christmas, we'll see whether this stamp takes less time or more.

Anyway, has anyone recently received a stamp for a suppressor/silencer and how long did it take the BATF to return the paperwork?
you not going to like it on a mp15-22. the long barrel keeps the rounds supersonic 90% of the sound of a 22lr firing is the super sonic crack. there is little diff on long guns. if you use subsonic or 22long it wont cycle

ive got a silencerco sparrow ss and a mp15-22 along with other 22lr. best hosts are pistols and bolt guns that can handle slower speed rounds

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-11-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for that push to get going on that JonM... I read an article on my phone CNN Money app that was saying that suppressor sales have increased in applications by around 100,000 a year in the last few years, I read that about a couple weeks ago, plus an article in Gun Tests magazine that I subscribe to had a review of 3 pistols with suppressors and the Ruger was the best choice to go with ( Walther, S & W MP .22, and the Ruger 22/45 Lite).

Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #6

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

It is absolutely ridiculous that you can buy a handgun a shotgun rifle in five minutes walk out of that store but yet you have to apply and it takes 10 months read Dick you list!!! With that said I have a 22 silencer for my 2245 and it's sitting in my safe I don't shoot it as much as I'd like to but when I do I don't hear much. I've been to a lawyer and were working on the gun trust we just haven't finalized. And why again are they so expensive?
Tex

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

expensive because the market is relatively small. if there was not a hoplophobic paranoia by the elected leadership and you could get them at walmart and not have stupid 9 month wait for a device that aids in hearing safety the economy of scale would have them a LOT cheaper.

but since there are relatively few people willing to go through the hassle they have to be expensive to make them worth selling as a business.

the vast majority of suppressors are sold on the civilian market not miltary and police.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Suppressors have been NFA since 1934. There is nothing new about that. The $200 tax back then was equal to over $3000 in today's dollars. Up until 2000 or 2001, trusts were not acceptable. You had to have a CLEO willing to sign.

Suppressors are more accessible than they have been in the last 80 years.

Last edited by mboylan; 05-12-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #9

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
Suppressors have been NFA since 1934. There is nothing new about that. The $200 tax back then was equal to over $3000 in today's dollars. Up until 2000 or 2001, trusts were not acceptable. You had to have a CLEO willing to sign.

Suppressors are more accessible than they have been in the last 80 years.

What changed in 2000? Transfers to trusts is written into the original NFA law. That is why it would take an act of congress to get rid of trust transfers and our POTUS can't wave his pen and make them disappear.

I mailed a form 4 in June 2013 and got the stamp last April. So 10 months average right now but the ATF claims they have boosted staff and cut the backlog from 90k to 70k. I'm sending a form 1 in very soon. I guess I'll be waiting 6+ months to find out since e-file is down

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3283 Times on 2233 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Checked into it a bit. They say as little as 6-9 months with a trust, a little longer without...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...