Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Score This Target Please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Score This Target Please!

Hello,

I need this target scored please:

Five shots.

I am not scoring it myself for a couple reasons. First, I'm not sure I can be 100% objective. Second, I fired five rounds, almost certain that I hit with all five rounds, but I cannot find the fifth round.

I think it went through the same hole as another, as one looks slightly elongated, but I do not want to make that call. If you see it, please tell me which one it is.

I'm leaving the pic full sized; please click on the thumbnail to view the full sized pic.

The center is 0.5" across the black.

Please let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

Josh

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 AM   #2

Liked 1628 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

That lowest round does look a little larger than the others to me.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Hi Folks,

I want to thank you.

Here is a screen capture of what I'm looking at:

(click the pic)

I have this posted on at least 10 boards, and there is a 50/50 split between opinions as to whether the double is at 6 o'clock or 1 o'clock. I initially thought it was at 1, but I agree now that it was at 6.

I'm also learning new terms. What is a "plug"? What is a "moving backer"?

I'm just a po' ol' squirrel hunter who is trying to make bulk ammo take squirrel at 100yds.

The bullets were reshaped first into a consistent roundnose configuration, then into a flatpoint, using D Rock's tool. This is why the target looks to have been hit with wadcutters.

The idea is to have a killing bullet, but one that is also accurate, and that means that, since for the majority of the way the bullet would be travelling subsonic (after 30yds or so), that it needed a shape better tailored to subsonic speeds. I also figured that getting there soon would be best, and the flat point is sort of a brake most noticable at supersonic speeds.

Also, this is really part of my attempt to get 1MOA with bulk HP.

Looks like I am shooting 1.048MOA or so.

Maybe this stuff just isn't capable of MOA accuracy? I do not know. I do know that this group was relatively easy after firing hundreds upon hundreds sorted by weight - only to have it recommended to me that I try sorting by case head thickness. That seems to have done it. I actually watched that bottom hole appear, and I wondered if I had hit it twice as I could see the white plastic backing through the hole as the woods were getting dark.

There were no other shooters; this is my private range. It maxes out at 110 yards or so, but is only really usable out to 100yds.

Thanks again, and additional comments are most welcome.

Josh

Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #4

take the target turn it over work out side of holes push in if the bullet went in it should have torn the paper it should be easy to see i dont think you mist the target

let no talents go unused

Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like you hit it 4 times!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2609 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Go to Walmart and buy a document protector.
Cut a couple of squares out.
Using the mouth of a spent shell as a leather awl, make an impression in one corner of each piece (this lets you use the rest of the square as a "handle").
When you overlay them on the target, try to match the rings (using the lead marks from the slug) over a slug hole.
If they don't match up, then you have two slugs in one. If they match, then only one slug.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Last edited by danf_fl; 07-20-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #7

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Without actually having the target in hand, it looks to me that the bottom hole is a double. Looked at it with a large magnifier. From what I can see, I would score it as a 48/0X. The bottom hole has not completely cut the ten ring line and the center hole has not completely cut the X-ring line. Sorry, just what I see without target in hand..........Nice 100 yard group though.................What rifle did you use??

Jim.........

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-20-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I agree, looks like a two in one, I would have thought a wadcutter, modified or not, would have left a clearer cut.

Screw it, take it out and try again.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1714 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

Default two in one?

Good group @ 100 yds, My guess is that you had One Zinger. Only because you said you Modified the rounds. Iv'e shot 40 gr. @ 100 yds. with a marlin Mod. 881 and put bullets all most in the same hole. Still that is good shooting.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Good group @ 100 yds, My guess is that you had One Zinger. Only because you said you Modified the rounds. Iv'e shot 40 gr. @ 100 yds. with a marlin Mod. 881 and put bullets all most in the same hole. Still that is good shooting.
With supersonic bulk?

I'm a little nutty, and I'm determined to make this stuff shoot MOA at 100yds.

Right now I'm sitting at right around 1.048MOA.

Josh