Scopes and sighting a rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Scopes and sighting a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. I have no idea of what "boresighting" is...

I am going to go check out Leupold scopes in the 10X ramge, look for tactical knobs to put on it, (if it doesn't come with them already) and try to find out what a collimeter is.
Thanks again,

-Dave

Edit: Ok I found some Leupold scopes and the cheapest ones were $200.00. I was thinking more around $50.00 or so. I would definitely like to keep it under $60-$70 if that is possible. I am sure those are great scopes and I appreciate the tip, I am just too poor to spend $200.00 on a scope.

Hey Painted_Klown - Boresighting is a device and method which allows you to pre-sight your rifle close enough where your first shot will be on the target. don't waste your money on an expensive scope for a .22 - go to WalMArt and for under $20 you can get a BSA 2-7 power wide field scope. I have several and they work great on a .22 - forget the boresighting and collimator too - you're shooting the cheapest ammo made! Mount your scope and get back about 10 yds. Take a shot and see where it hits the target - adjust your scope accordingly to hit about 2" high and dead center. Now you can go out to 50 yds. and see where it hits. Horizontally you should be fine if you zeroed it at the shorter range, now you just need to zero the elevation for the range you'll be shooting at. .22 ammo is cheap so you don't have to worry about how many shots it takes to zero! If you were shooting a centerfire rifle that costs $1.00 per round, I'd suggest and expensive scope and a boresighter, although with a bolt action a boresighter is not necessary to put your first shot on the paper - for a bolt action rifle just put the rifle on the rest, remove the bolt and look through the barrel until you find the bullseye of the target, center it as close as possible within the bore. Being very careful not to move the gun, look through the scope and see where the crosshairs are in relation to the bullsyeye. Make the necessary adjustments to the scope turrets to zero the crosshair on the bullseye. This will put you on the paper with your first shot! Of course you cannot do this with a semi-automatic Marlin Mod.60 because you can't look through the barrel!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-20-2008 at 02:56 AM.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 AM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

You can get a boresighter. The BSA model is rather low cost. This should come with arbors and fit in the barrel then you just look threw the scope and adjust the scope to line up with the bore sighter.

I have a BSA 6-18x40mm on my 22lr and a Weaver KT-15 15x40mm scope on the other. The BSA was on sale at Midway USA for something like $40 it works great for a 22lr I would not mount a BSA on any centerfire at all. The weaver I had in the safe and taking up space when I got my new 22 rifle so it went in a set of Millet rings and on to it. I need to get it out and sight it in.

As for distance 50 yards is the normal sight in distance for a 22lr rifle. 100 yards is about the max range to shoot at something with a 22lr.

You could always get a Red Dot them are really fun on rimfires. I have one on my Neos.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #13

Thanks for the tips all. I had my scope set just about perfect one day. It was a long and drawn out process but fun all the same. It was all good until the next time I went out and the scope rattled its way off the "scope mounting rail" (or whatever it's called) So, now I have remounted it and I put clear fingernail polish on the "mounting rail" part, and on the screws used to tighten the scope on to it. I haven't yet had the opportunity to go out shooting and set my scope up once again but I am definitely going to try some of these ideas. It should shorten the process by quite a bit and get me ready to practice my marksmanship.

Another question if you gentlemen don't mind. How big should the target/bullseye be when setting up my scope and working on my shooting skills?

By the way, I do not seem to be able to hold the gun perfectly still while just standing there aiming for a target. I seem to slowly go in a small circular motion (the only way I can think to describe it) around the bullseye.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you go to Wally World you will see targets that are sized appropriately for different ranges and different calibers (Centerfire, rimfire, large bore, small bore) If you want to make your own, for 50 yds. I would draw a 6" circle and place a 1" bullseye in the center. As far as shooting freehand, that is a skill that is developed over many thousands of rounds! Correct stance and breathing take practice to develop. When sighting in, use a bench and a sandbag rest to eliminate all variables! That way when you shoot off hand and can't hit anything, you know it's not the gun..lol

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"