Scopes and sighting a rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Scopes and sighting a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scopes and sighting a rifle

Hello all, I have another noob question for you, well actually two questions in one.

I have a Marlin Model 60 .22 long rifle and I am wanting to buy a scope for as I am a lager guy and getting my fat head down to the built in sights while still properly holding my gun and trying to be comfortable is a bit of a task.

My question is what scope would be good for this gun?
As usual, I am looking for a bang for the buck type of deal. It doesn't have to be the best of the best but I don't want junk either. Somewhere down the middle where the money spent was well worth it.

My second question is how far away from my target should I be when sighting it in? I have been trying to read around the internet but there is no clear answer. From what I have discovered 50 yards seems to be the answer but I wanted to make sure.

I will primarily be using my gun for target practice/target shooting.

Thanks in advance.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ah bro - you are way too broad in this request for info, the answers are going to be all over the board. LOL

There are no less than three threads that I know of discussing optics, so you might want to peruse those and see what you think. Scopes are a matter of taste, some people love ones I hate and some people wouldn't pay for the ones I love.

There is a fine line in the optics department - spend too little, and you get crap, find the happy middle and you are looking at probably 10 or 15 brands, then you can get a scope that is maybe 10% better, but at twice the price.

I like Leupold, while they aren't cheap, I would put them in the definite upper middle of the pack for value versus performace. They are made in the US and they have a lifetime warranty though, so once you buy one, it will last for a lifetime unless you sell it. For a .22, you probably don't need anything more than a 10x max, but that will be disputed here in a few posts.. LOL I prefer to get tactical knobs, which can be added to almost any scope, because then adjustments are by hand and you don't need a small screwdriver or a dime from your pocket on the range.

As for range to site in, it depends on who does your scope mounting. If you have a collimeter, you can dial it in within, probably, an inch at 100 yards pretty easy. If you have a big enough sheet of paper to shoot at, you could site in as far as your optics allow you to see, but with a .22 starting and 50 yards and moving back to 100 for a field zero should be just fine.

In the future, try to narrow your info requests a bit to one category, it will get you replies faster.

Hope that helps!

JD

Old 05-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I have one scoped rifle which I hardly ever shoot. I bought it from a coworker. It's a Savage 110 package rifle and it came with what I suppose is a "eh" type scope. Looking around the internet, I found people who say you should start at 25 yards and work back from there.

I've heard one way to set up a bolt scope is to "boresight" it first with the bolt removed. Look down the barrel and place the muzzle on the bull of the target, then adjust your scope to put the crosshairs on the middle of the bull. Shoot and adjust from there. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it works. Anyone else use or don't use this method?

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips guys. I have no idea of what "boresighting" is...

I am going to go check out Leupold scopes in the 10X ramge, look for tactical knobs to put on it, (if it doesn't come with them already) and try to find out what a collimeter is.
Thanks again,

-Dave

Edit: Ok I found some Leupold scopes and the cheapest ones were $200.00. I was thinking more around $50.00 or so. I would definitely like to keep it under $60-$70 if that is possible. I am sure those are great scopes and I appreciate the tip, I am just too poor to spend $200.00 on a scope.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited by painted_klown; 05-17-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Dave,

Boresighting is taking out the bolt of a bolt gun and looking from the breech down the inside of the barrel and aiming the barrel at the bull.

WalMart.com has a tasco scope - internet sales only - for $55.

Looks like you'll need mounting equipment elsewhere though....

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

OK guys, the man said a Marlin 60. That is a 22 auto. Don't confuse him with suggestions to "remove the bolt". Yes, you are correct. But for a Model 60? Come on, now.

For a 22 that is NOT a precision target rifle, would suggest you check out a lower price scope- something like a TASCO. 4 power- or even a 3-9 power variable. You will need mounts/rings, which for YOUR rifle attach to the twin grooves on top of the reciever. As much as I hate to say this, you can even check at better WalMarts everywhere, and get what you need. Yes, that is a fairly cheap scope. But while not dissing your rifle, it is not a 1000 meter competition rifle, either.

For a hunting grade 22, 50 yards is fine, but would start at 25 yards to get it on the paper. Fire 3 shots from a supported position (bench or prone), and adjust the scope. Once it is centered left-to-right, then move to 50 yds for elevation. 100 yards is pushing limit of accuracy for your rifle (others will disagree) Be sure that mounting screws are snug, and EVENLY tightened.

When looking at scopes, first number will be magnification. Next number is size of the front lens in milimeters. IN GENERAL, bigger lens= brighter image (quality of lenses, coating will affect it, but I SAID in general) so a 4x40 is 4 power, 40 milimeter lens. 3-9x40 is a 3 to 9 power variable, 40 mm. Stay away from the 4x15- the typical skinny little 22 scope. Dim, small field of view. More power is NOT better. I DO shoot one 24X scope- but that is used for groundhogs at 500 meters.

Now go shoot something!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #7

Thank you for all of the input everyone.
Well, I have now purchased a scope for my Marlin.
I was in the local gun shop today just hanging out and talking to the owner about guns, and whatnot and I happened to mention I needed a scope and asked him for a recommendation. He showed me a BSA model and said that it was the same one he used on his 22 rifle. He told that for my gun and my use (just target practice for now) it would do the trick. So anyway I ended up up getting a BSA Huntsman 3-9X40. Not sure what all that means, he gave me a quick overview but it sort of flew past me.

Ok, now for the cool part. I took my marlin out shooting twice today. I ended up shooting around 500 rounds of Remington 22 golden bullets through it today and it (the gun) didn't even break a sweat. No problems, no issues, nothing. It shot like a champ all day long. I know that sounds like a "fishing tale" but it's true. Really made me super happy with my purchase and have a nice feeling of pride for my first little plinker.

And to make a long post even longer...I was also very pleased with my scope purchase. I know its no Leupold (and he had some in stock) but for me it worked great and I was hitting small targets from a pretty good distance. I actually felt like I could shoot pretty good by the time I had the scope set up. Well, it was way better that the first day I went out with it anyway.

Thank you to everyone once again, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9157 Times on 3954 Posts
Likes Given: 1433

congrats- I'm headed for the range this afternoon w/ granddaughter, and a bunch of 22s (watch the kid, and DON'T offer to bet money with her- kid is 11, and hustling other shooters! Think she said something about buying a Gameboy or something....)

Make it a practice to check the security of the mounting screws for your scope now and again, IF they get loose, you can use a drop of Loc-Tite on he threads (altho have been known to use clear nail polish as a field expedient) Keep the glass of your scope clean- no, not the filthy tail of your T-shirt, man! Keep the lens covers on when in storage. Use a lens cloth or lens paper to GENTLY wipe lens if it needs it.

If you enjoy target shooting, start looking around for a high accuracy 22. Some are expensive, but not all are. I shoot a vintage 1943 Mossberg 44US (bolt action target rifle) paid less than $200, and it will put 5 in one hole at 25 meters if I do my part. Now go shoot something!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
congrats- I'm headed for the range this afternoon w/ granddaughter, and a bunch of 22s (watch the kid, and DON'T offer to bet money with her- kid is 11, and hustling other shooters! Think she said something about buying a Gameboy or something....)

Make it a practice to check the security of the mounting screws for your scope now and again, IF they get loose, you can use a drop of Loc-Tite on he threads (altho have been known to use clear nail polish as a field expedient) Keep the glass of your scope clean- no, not the filthy tail of your T-shirt, man! Keep the lens covers on when in storage. Use a lens cloth or lens paper to GENTLY wipe lens if it needs it.

If you enjoy target shooting, start looking around for a high accuracy 22. Some are expensive, but not all are. I shoot a vintage 1943 Mossberg 44US (bolt action target rifle) paid less than $200, and it will put 5 in one hole at 25 meters if I do my part. Now go shoot something!
HAHHA!!! I really wish I would have read this post before I went out shooting today. I kept missing everything and I was getting frustrated and wondering why, then a friend noticed that my scope had actually slid back and the back part had fallen off the little rail that you put the mounting rings on. (please excuse my ignorance as I do not know the proper names for gun pieces)
Had a really fun time out today. It seems like suddenly EVERYONE is out getting guns and joining our group to go shooting. I loaned one friend the money to pick up a Mossberg .22 rifle and a scope. (same scope I have)
Another friend and I were talking as we were leaving church this morning and I asked him if he wanted to go shooting with us today and he actually went to the local shop and picked up a Marlin Model 60. (that's three of us now that have picked one up this week) The local guy has used ones cheap. ($80.00, seems like a good deal to all of us) Anyway, I am just excited as our little group had grown from just John (Jables on here) and myself going out to now include Ben, (the guy who bought the Mossberg) Ben's girlfriend, (she doesn't have her own gun yet but she just uses ours) Jason, and Marshall. (two more friends from my church) Bob (yet another friend from church) even went out with us today. He doesn't own a gun but we just shared ours with him. I am thinking both him and Monica will probably be getting something soon.

Ok, sorry about the long posts and boring stories but it's an exciting time around here regarding guns and friends. Thanks for reading all.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #10

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

I bought a BSA .22 Special 3-9x32mm that I mounted on a Marlin 60. Great 75 yard rifle. My 11 year old is very impressive w/ it. The rifle is 14 years old and has this scope mounted for 6 years. I mounted an old BSA Contender 6-24 42mmAO on a new Marlin 917V .17HMR That will drive tacks from 35 to 135 yards w/ 20gr ammo. I also have a Bushnell 3-9x40mm on a Browning A-bolt .22WMR that is outstanding. 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards w/ CCI Maxi mags.
Just make sure the glass is clear! The .22 Special is a great scope, around $30.00 I believe. Here is a good $35.00 scope. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=887219

Edit: I use my wifes clear nail polish to lock the screws!!

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 05-20-2008 at 12:52 AM.