scope for a .22 rascal
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > scope for a .22 rascal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scope for a .22 rascal

Hello--

So--I bought this savage .22 rascal rifle for my 10yo daughter for her 4-H project this year. I found the peep sight to be junk and it would loosen after every 5-6 shots or so. Anyway--it was recommended by the shooting instructors that we just put a cheap scope on it. I had a couple of old 4x scopes laying around so I mounted them to the rifle with no problems. Both scopes are just normal scopes--not .22 scopes. However, my daughter has to hold her head about 1/4" off the stock in order to see through the sight accurately. I know the eye relief is about 5" for both scopes.

So my questions is: is her not being able to see through the scope an eye relief problem or is it due to the height of the scope rings. I have seen some low profile ones around--do you think that would help?? Would an actual .22 scope help fix the problem--I have found a couple with 3" eye relief. Anyway--I have never encountered this problem and even with research I could not find the answer. Thanks in advance for your help and have a good day.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #2

Liked 1147 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 2031

NO, NO, NO .not yet . Kids need to learn to shoot with open sights . Get some locktite or something to keep that peep in place .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 06-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22107 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, any instructor teaching the fundamentals of shooting to a beginner should be telling them to learn open sights first. scope usage later after learning the fundamentals of shooting.

personally, i'd be looking for a new instructor.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is right that scope usage should be learn after learning all aspects of firearm. Good instructors cover material in a thorough, step-by-step manner. Students should begin with the basics and build upon the lessons learned as they progress into more advanced lessons.