Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > scope for a .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1105 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Default scope for a .22

so i went to a gun show today and my friend bought a 3x9x40 barska scope for a .22. now this got me to thinking... i know barska is known as a cheaper no name company. however for a small .22 not shooting more than 50yds. the scope seemed clear enough for me. is it worth the cheap price or would it be better to pay another 30 bucks for a decent bushnell or simmons? just curious as to what you think as this was already purchased.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Would you care to share what .22, and what you are DOING with it? Is it a Marlin 81 that you are popping squirrels with, or a CZ target rifle, and you are trying to shrink that group below .25 inches?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Would you care to share what .22, and what you are DOING with it? Is it a Marlin 81 that you are popping squirrels with, or a CZ target rifle, and you are trying to shrink that group below .25 inches?
its 99.9 percent gonna be somthing to look at with the other .1 being target shooting. my friend tends to collect and not fire.it is an older rifle, remington nylon 66. but its just me that wants to know if he wants to shoot a bullseye that he stands an okay chance

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
its 99.9 percent gonna be somthing to look at with the other .1 being target shooting. my friend tends to collect and not fire.it is an older rifle, remington nylon 66. but its just me that wants to know if he wants to shoot a bullseye that he stands an okay chance
Some inexpensive scopes are very pretty so your friend is covered 99.9% of the time... Problems with cheapo scopes are lens clarity, distortion at high mag, course or inaccurate windage and elevation adjustments, dim reticle, inability to hold zero and falling apart (generally not a problem on a rimfire .22). Generally they will let you hit the POA, within limits, so unless you are planning to shoot competitively or use the rifle for hunting you should be ok. Just don't expect the scope to hold zero for every range trip, the ride home may knock it out of alignment requiring a rezeroing on the next trip.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Some inexpensive scopes are very pretty so your friend is covered 99.9% of the time... Problems with cheapo scopes are lens clarity, distortion at high mag, course or inaccurate windage and elevation adjustments, dim reticle, inability to hold zero and falling apart (generally not a problem on a rimfire .22). Generally they will let you hit the POA, within limits, so unless you are planning to shoot competitively or use the rifle for hunting you should be ok. Just don't expect the scope to hold zero for every range trip, the ride home may knock it out of alignment requiring a rezeroing on the next trip.
cool. looks to be just fine then.. so far ive talked him down the path of buying 4 weapons, none of which he has shot yet. or asked me to shoot yet. lol

Old 08-14-2011, 02:44 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
cool. looks to be just fine then.. so far ive talked him down the path of buying 4 weapons, none of which he has shot yet. or asked me to shoot yet. lol
Have you tried steering him into another hobby and selling those guns to a friend...cheap?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Have you tried steering him into another hobby and selling those guns to a friend...cheap?
not yet, just hoping to end up inhis will lol

Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #8

I have looked at the Barska 3-9x32 Plinkster, as it's pretty cheap and it seems to be well reviewed.

There was another thread here that is pretty old now but I think one of the posters there also highly recommended that scope. Seems that for plinking it would be pretty ideal, though I am not an expert I am just pretty much relating hearsay.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #9

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

I picked up a bushnell .22 rimfire 4x32 scope up at wally world for like 25 bucks, it is a very good scope for under 30 bucks, really clear and a real nice reticle in it, decent in low light conditions as well, I have been taking squirrels with mine and love it nice crisp and clean.

Gersty

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Default My two cents on .22 scopes

I've got a Barska on Glenfield Marlin 60 (1981) and a Bushnell on a Remington 597 (2011). I like them both and for the money, I think the Barska does a great job... I wouldn't hesitate recommending either one. I'll probably try to pick up a used Barska to put on my Marlin 795.

Know when to hold 'em...and know when to fold 'em.