Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Scope for 10/22 Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I use a vortex 3x9 power scope its very nice i like it

Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #32

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller
I used to guide in Montana for moose, mt. goats mule deer etc.......... You will find that the guides carry beat up old rifles but have great glass which includes scopes and binocs. Garadex you obviously don't have a clue. A good glass will move as advertised when you sight it in. It will give a way better picture when looking through it. Plus he said in a post he could go $150. I'm far from a scope snob as most of my scopes on a 100 or so guns are $300 or less but the cheap garbage scopes are just that, garbage.
The OP said they were going to use the scope for casual target shooting, a cheap scope on a .22 will work for that. I'm sorry but I missed where he gave an actual number for his budget.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #33

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are limited in what you can spend for a scope, there are indeed a few in the $50 range that aren't bad and can get the job done. The fact is though that you generally get what you pay for and a $150 scope is going to be better in almost every way than a $50 one. It's going to be brighter and clearer, the settings will be more accurate and the zero more stable and it will probably be more durable and reliable.

Many people routinely spend almost as much for their scope as the do for the rifle they put it on. If you have the money, I just don't see any reason not to get the better scope.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #34

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Heres a strange response, you are all correct. Optics are one of the few things where you really do get what you pay for. But, there's always a but, be careful about using price as the sole determinant of quality. A $150 scope will generally be better than a $50 scope if the extra money means higher quality lenses, tube construction and turret mechanics. If the extra cost is just for superficial gadgets like range finder reticles, bullet drop compensators, etc then not so much. In other words a basic $50 scope can be a better deal than a more expensive one trying to be something it is never going to be, just be sure you are making an apples to apples comparison then pick the one that suits your budget and intended use. Just my humble opinion.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1347 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 456

If I buy a cheap scope I get fixed power scope. The lenses are as clear and bright as any scope. Most of the time the tube is one piece construction. There isn't much to go wrong with a fixed power scope. I even have a fixed power scope on my 270. I have a plain jane 4x 32 mm on the 270. I don't shoot targets with it. The rifle is for hunting. 4x is plenty to see a deer at 300 yards. 90% of the time I saw the deer with my naked eye before I even considered taking a look with a scope.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #36

Default Got Scope

Well I want to thank all for the good info about scope. I bought a Mueller APV for $130. I got Game Reaper aluminum mounts to match the stainless steel gun. It makes a very good looking package. Took it to the range yesterday and zeroed it in at 25yds. Next time I will work at 50 yards. Really like the scope. Again Thanks.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #37

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave
Well I want to thank all for the good info about scope. I bought a Mueller APV for $130. I got Game Reaper aluminum mounts to match the stainless steel gun. It makes a very good looking package. Took it to the range yesterday and zeroed it in at 25yds. Next time I will work at 50 yards. Really like the scope. Again Thanks.
Haven't heard of Mueller but we need a range report and pictures.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #38
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2698 Times on 1852 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Today I finally purchased 2 "scopes"(sights) for my 10/22 that I gave to my wife and the Mossberg 702.

We got the TruGlo 2X42 multi rectile Red/Green dot sight(2). Had I been buying for a big bore gun, I most probably would have bought something much more expensive, but considering that I(we) doubt we're aiming at anything beyond 100 yds. with 22LR's, the TruGlo's will be more then enough. As soon as they are mounted,..pics & range report.
Oh the Price! because we bought 2 as part of a larger purchase(that included 2 more 22LR bricks) we got $5 off each sight(list $120-sale $105 + $5 off each)...$200 for both.
That being said, I did learn a lot by researching. Next we'll try to mount an optic on one of the shotguns.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*