Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Savage Mark II F (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/savage-mark-ii-f-19100/)

Biohazurd 10-13-2009 03:31 PM

Savage Mark II F

Was glancing around at the guns at walmart the other day and saw a interesting looking Bolt .22 which would be the Savage Mark II F. It listed for only $127.00, and ive been looking for a bolt .22 to plink around with. The thing is i dont believe that this particular gun has the well known Accu-trigger. What im trying to ask is how is the non accu-trigger model Mark II F In terms of trigger quality and weight? Also what type of scope mounts will this model accept?

Biohazurd 10-15-2009 12:32 AM

Nothing? No one has any input on this subject?

p3cwst 10-15-2009 08:32 PM

I've seen several Savage Mk II's at the range. I have no other experience with them BUT I'm VERY impressed with their accuracy. One fellow I know has the target version single shot and it'll shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards and consistently less than an inch at 100 yards. He has done no modifications to it.

Biohazurd 10-21-2009 04:33 AM

Well im going to buy the gun but was curious to what scope mounts it used...

tallguy130 10-22-2009 12:03 AM

I have a Savage 64 (semi auto 22) without the accu-trigger and a Mark II with it. I assume the trigger on the Mark II minus the accu-trigger would be simmiler to the 64.

Its like night and day. The accu-trigger is great and makes me a far better shot then I really am. Is it worth the $200 a accu-trigger Mark II would cost? Maybe. I doubt I will have the 64 10 years from now but I know I'll have the Mark II.

Just my 2 cents

Joe M 10-31-2009 02:07 PM

I bought a Savage MK II-FVT last year which I shot with the peep sights then replaced them with a 20 MOA Scope Base and mounted a 6-24x42mm Mil-Dot Tasco Varmint Scope on it. Accuracy with both set ups is very impressive, and the rifle's accu-trigger is great! I'd recommend the MK II-F to anyone looking for a quality bolt action .22 rimfire.:)

mjt74436 01-29-2011 09:01 PM

Mark II F Trigger

I recently bought the same gun from Wal-Mart. I think it is a great deal for the money and a great overall .22 if you don't mind a little light work.
I used weaver 48024 scope bases that I ordered from Amazon for $5 each (need 2). They fit perfectly w/no mods, out of the package.
The trigger feels like dragging an 8lb cinder block through gravel out of the box. I pulled it apart on day one and made some serious improvement by polishing the contact points on the trigger and sear with a piece of Scotchbrite. I also noticed that the contact points were dry, other than the thin film of preservative oil from the factory and used a toothpick to dab a touch of Slick50 grease on each friction point. Lastly, I shimmed the backside of the trigger with a doubled over soda can (bout .010", everyone says to go to .020"-.025"). That got me down to a much smoother and roughly 3lb pull.
The trigger still has quite a bit of side wobble and it is still 1 1/2lb too stiff for my taste. I got some stainless flat washers at Lowes to shim the gap between sides of the trigger and the housing (some suggest just squeezing the housing in a vice but I'm not big on that Idea myself). I'm also looking for a lighter return spring and planning to chamfer the hole the spring sits in, in the trigger (I can feel the coils catching a little on the edge of the hole). I'll post again and let you know how all that works.
Overall, I like the gun enough that I bought a Tac-Driver, Thumbhole stock from Richard's Microstocks for it and I plan to keep tuning the trigger and use it for my go-to target rifle.
If anyone knows the right part number(s) for the available metal trigger guard and magazine bottom plate kits, please post. I will need them when my new stock gets here.
Please let me know what you learn too. The parts are all out there but it is difficult to wade through the sea of misinformation to find them.

LYPNELSON 02-01-2011 01:53 PM

:D WE'VE USED OURS SO MUCH, WE HAD TO REPLACE THE MAGAZINE. THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS ALREADY!! SHOOTS STRAIGHT & LIGHT ENUF FOR THE KIDS TO USE. I'V BEEN THINKING OF GETTING ANOTHER ONE WE LIKE IT SO MUCH.NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY .22's:D:D

rifleman55 02-01-2011 03:58 PM

Any of the current Savae 22's shoot excellent. I'd save just a little more and get the low end model with the accutrigger. They are decent stock, and you can re work them to be excellent. Mine breaks at 10 OZ like glass. Well worth the extra $$$. If you buy an aftermarket trigger for that rifle, it will cost the better part of $100.
I have a BRJ tat I had accurized and it shoots in the .1's at 50 yards, my best being exactly a .1", 5 shots @ 50.
They are fantastic rifles and if you have a problem, Savage service is great.

John K

MemphisJim1 02-18-2011 03:13 AM

I have a Savage MkII. It's a Mako version (a special run for a distributor several years ago) with heavy barrel and Accutrigger. At the moment I have a BSA "Sweet 22" scope on it and would have no hesitation about shooting rimfire benchrest matches with it. Usually I shoot CCI MiniMag 40 gr. solids in all my rimfires but lately I've been experimenting with Wolf Target Match and Match Extra with exceptionally good results. Because of its weight, I wouldn't regard it as much of a plinker but I'll sure have no hesitation about buying a lighter MkII for field use. I happily recommend them highly.