Savage Custom Shop - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Savage Custom Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I have run about 40 rounds through it. All from the same box, I plan to check later if another brand/type does better. I used the CCI 40GR HP. The LGS bosesighting was very close. I only shot it from a measured 200 FEET, and the biggest 5 shot group I got was 3 1/4", smallest was about 1 1/2". I was shooting at a piece of computer paper on which I drew a big fat cross with a sharpie. My eyes suck, I was having trouble seeing even those lines. Maybe if I used a better target.....Overall, out of the box, with almost no setup, I think the gun did pretty good. I bet I can get those groups down some, I think mostly it just depends on me seeing the target well.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #22

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 36

clr8ter are you useing a receiver site-open sights?

I don't except savage to build "custom" rifles but I have two plan ole mkII's that are great shooting after a couple hundred rounds with a 100 yard groups of an inch very real, but with 24 power scopes. No eyes ether anymore.

I have also seen a couple of savage model 12 rifles,a LRP and F/tr owned by the same guy that were beyound what should be expected from a custom from some builders. I was done shooting and just sat down to watch this guy shot. The LPR 243 was shooting 1/2" groups at 200 yards, that gets my vote. The f/tr was brand new and the shooter was still working on break-in with some federal match ammo. Bang, clean,bang,clean , but with a 200 yard groups of 1". It has possibilities.

Those 17hmr's are impressive with many seeming to shoot MOA or better with enought scope on them and not haveing the ammo choice's that 22lr shooters have to do it with.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #23

hardluk, I'm using a Simmonds 22 Mag 3-9 X32 scope. If I could SEE the target at 200 yards, I'd be happy......To be fair, like I said , this was directly out of the box, no real setup done, except for bore sighting. I expect that some time with it will improve things. I also felt kind of dumb. When I shot it, for some reason, it did not cross my mind to FOCUS the scope.......

And, I use the term custom, only because my exact rifle doesn't have a model # in the Savage catalog. All they really did was take an action and put a barrel on it that they choose not to as a standard item. No gunsmithing, even.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #24

Also, I went to that open house today, and talked to the Savage rep. He said there was no reason I should not bring the gun back if not totally satisfied. He suggested I drive it over there in person. Having said that, he was somewhat ambivalent about the whole thing. "I'm just a salesman.", he says. OK. So I'll drive it over there.

Really, the biggest things now are, (And feel free to speak up if they're not), the barrel appears to be free floating in the front of the stock. On one side. You cannot pass a dollar bill down between the barrel and the stock. It's obvious that there is plenty of clearance on one side, but not the other. And, the mag is sloppy in the mag well. Doesn't seem to want to lock in easily and positively, and seems to be causing some feeding problems. (the very similar rifle he had with him had a much nicer magazine fit.) If these 2 things could get cleared up, I'd be happy......

As a side note, he also said they they will be making 10 round mags this year. He did not specify whether it was only the 93's, or the entire line, but they will come in blue & stainless. AWESOME!

Last edited by clr8ter; 06-02-2012 at 09:03 PM.