Savage Custom Shop - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Savage Custom Shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Update to the Savage saga!! A savage rifle showed up at my FFL yesterday, but certainly not what I orderd, a staggering 18 weeks ago. The rifle has the wrong barrel, it is flutted, which I did not order, and it does not have any threads at all.....and I ordered it with 5/8-24 threads. Guess another 45 minute wait on hold to talk to Effie and start the process of returning the gun and asking for a full refund plus shipping cost. Wonder how long it is going to take to get my money.....so I can buy a Remington like I should have in the first place, send it to Hart for a custom barrel job and be a happy satisfied customer in a few months.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #12

Well. just got off the phone with Savage, by passed Effie and asked for someone else higher up, was transfered to Joe Desanti? no sure, left a message on his voice mail at 0800, now 1000 2 hours and no reply.... Hum,....I got Savaged by Savage!! Guess only option is to ask for, better yet, demand a refund. What do you all think I should do?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #13

By the way, I posted earlier but it is not showing... the rifle showed up yesterday, wrong barrell, had flutes, not ordered and was not threaded at all!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #14

Stiller action ordered,hart or shillen or lilja or krieger barrel....to be decided and ordered soon, Mcmillan stock to be orderd later on today.. I have learned my lesson! No more Savages in my cave :-)

Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #15

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Well, my gun showed up at 1 day under 10 weeks. It had one Weaver rail loose, I wrong screw that was too small to even cut threads in the hole in the stock, and the paperwork didn't reflect what they did to it, like I asked, and was assured of. (Paperwork said it was a "Custom Rifle") It took several more calls and a couple weeks to get better, (not perfect) paperwork. Gun shop owner took care of the rail & incorrect screw. Also, the box it came in has a factory note on it - "Bolt & ?CLIP? enclosed" The "Clip", by the way, rattles around in the mag well.......

REALLY? Effie told me this gun was assembled by a "Master Gunsmith" I doubt it. Unless that means something different in Canada, EH.

Overall, though, it's a nice gun that should be awesome once I get the little things I shouldn't have to take care of taken care of.

Would you like to know what I'm going to do? Next weekend, another gun shop is going to have an open house. I believe Savage will be there. They were last year. That rep is going to hear all about this problem in front of a bunch of people.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
Well, my gun showed up at 1 day under 10 weeks. It had one Weaver rail loose, I wrong screw that was too small to even cut threads in the hole in the stock, and the paperwork didn't reflect what they did to it, like I asked, and was assured of. (Paperwork said it was a "Custom Rifle") It took several more calls and a couple weeks to get better, (not perfect) paperwork. Gun shop owner took care of the rail & incorrect screw. Also, the box it came in has a factory note on it - "Bolt & ?CLIP? enclosed" The "Clip", by the way, rattles around in the mag well.......

REALLY? Effie told me this gun was assembled by a "Master Gunsmith" I doubt it. Unless that means something different in Canada, EH.

Overall, though, it's a nice gun that should be awesome once I get the little things I shouldn't have to take care of taken care of.

Would you like to know what I'm going to do? Next weekend, another gun shop is going to have an open house. I believe Savage will be there. They were last year. That rep is going to hear all about this problem in front of a bunch of people.
Good for you. Nail them to the wall.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #17

Had a lengthy conference call with Joe and Effie. Some of the issues we discussed were the fact that there is no written confirmation of an order placed with Effie, which they say they will change either via e-mail or regular mail so the customer has some written copy of his exact order and avoid the "he said, she said" issues. Second, the website describes the model 12LRPV as having a High luster stainless finish...no mention of flutes, which they will be addressing and correcting ASAP. Third, they agrred with me that they should make an effort to communicate with the person placing a custom order if there are issues which are going to delay the delivery date beyond the 10 week period ( It took 19 weeks for mine). Last but not least, Savage is paying to have my gun shipped to Cole's Gun shop in Clearwater Florida, about 90 miles from my residence, they are going to thread my barrel and then ship it back to my FFL so I should have it back next week. I have decided to keep the Savage, however the Stiller/Lilja custom is on order and should be ready in about 8 weeks.
I have learned from this experience, custom rifles should be bought from custom rifle makers which are dedicated to do just that, and production rifles should be purchased from production manufacturers. Each is good at what they do. Just like purchasing a scope...dont ever skimp on the quality and cost of a scope, you really get what you pay for. If you must have a production rifle altered, you are likely better off purchasing a stock model and then sending to a gunsmith for customizing. I could have purchased a standard 12 LRPV in 6.5 Norma BR for around 875.00, then have Shilen or Lilja build a stainless barrel in the caliber and twist of my choice for around 450.00 and end up with a nice switch barrel combo gun for a few hundred dollars less than what I spent for the one I got. I have a feeling the Stiller/Lilja will outshoot the 12LRPV so, it might be available for sale in a few months :-)

Old 05-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #18

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Marlinman, "Nail them to the wall" sounds a little harsh. Really, I just want them to know that this part of their business needs work. I have heard overall good things about them, and they are in my neck of the woods. (I could be there in under 1 1/2 hours.)

flyoteslayer, I hear you, going to a gunsmith sounds like a good option, but around here my experiences with "gunsmiths" had been less than positive. I also think that a manufacturer having a custom shop is a good idea, too. They just need to either do it right or not at all. Can't really be that hard.....1/2 the battle is just communication, (customer service), and the other big thing is dedicated people to the effort. In my case, the cost for the custom part was $95. I couldn't have hit that number if I had had it done it myself, and I would have ended up with a barrel I didn't need......

Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #19

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
Marlinman, "Nail them to the wall" sounds a little harsh. Really, I just want them to know that this part of their business needs work. I have heard overall good things about them, and they are in my neck of the woods. (I could be there in under 1 1/2 hours.)

flyoteslayer, I hear you, going to a gunsmith sounds like a good option, but around here my experiences with "gunsmiths" had been less than positive. I also think that a manufacturer having a custom shop is a good idea, too. They just need to either do it right or not at all. Can't really be that hard.....1/2 the battle is just communication, (customer service), and the other big thing is dedicated people to the effort. In my case, the cost for the custom part was $95. I couldn't have hit that number if I had had it done it myself, and I would have ended up with a barrel I didn't need......
By nail them to the wall I ment publicly rip them a new one

Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #20

clr8ter, I totally understand you experience with local gunsmiths. There is one about 90 miles from me an he is excellent, however when it comes to building a gun ground up I take full advantage of the internet to locate the right smith and use UPS ground for shipping. My friends have had great luck with the likes of Georgia Precicion Rifles and Borden Custom rifles, but these are rather hi end guns. Good luck with your rifle and let us know how it shoots. I get to test my savage later on next week.