Savage 93r17 Stock
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Savage 93r17 Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage 93r17 Stock

I have the Savage 93 with heavy barrel and i noticed it is very frint heavy. Granted it is a sythetic stock but is there a way to balance it by putting an epoxy,lead, or some kind of filling in the cavity of the stock?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #2

Default savage 93 front end heavy

one thing i did to combat this was unscrew but plate take the shot out of several shotgun shells and mix with modeiing clay put in ziploc bag put into stock and replace butplate it is cheap and easy , and if you dont like it take it out also get a nice bipod ,also you may have the heavy barreled 93 o well thats a good thing

Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagenodland
I have the Savage 93 with heavy barrel and i noticed it is very frint heavy. Granted it is a sythetic stock but is there a way to balance it by putting an epoxy,lead, or some kind of filling in the cavity of the stock?
Try a thumb hole stock from Boyd's Gun Stocks. They are $100. Well worth the money and they'll change the feel of your 93. Part #437251Y-1C- (whatever color pattern you want.)

Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have one of the pre-Accutrigger M93r17's that i bought many years ago. it has the heavy barrel and laminated stocks were not available then. my biggest issue with the rifle was the too short LOP. a couple of years ago, i decided to try out a Boyd's Rimfire hunter in nutmeg laminate. made all the difference in the world. LOp is much better now and the stock is much stiffer.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9811&cat=1216

Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Savage 93R17 GV stock replacement help

I am very new to forums in general please forgive any noob mistake I might make. I have a savage 93R17 GV with a regular wood stock and bull barrel. I would like to upgrade it with a thumb hole stock. I know Boyd's is the place to go but they do not have any in stock in will be 2-3 weeks. I purchased my rifle last Saturday. I don't like the stock! I found a couple of stocks for sale by private party's online pages that have some nice looking stocks all off of savage 93R17 BTVS rifles with accu triggers. Does anyone know if I can use a BTVS stock on my GV rifle? If so does it drop in with my original screws and trigger gaurd? Or will it require modifications and new hardware? Thank you for your help in advance!

~Semper Fi~

Old 02-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick254tx View Post
I am very new to forums in general please forgive any noob mistake I might make. I have a savage 93R17 GV with a regular wood stock and bull barrel. I would like to upgrade it with a thumb hole stock. I know Boyd's is the place to go but they do not have any in stock in will be 2-3 weeks. I purchased my rifle last Saturday. I don't like the stock! I found a couple of stocks for sale by private party's online pages that have some nice looking stocks all off of savage 93R17 BTVS rifles with accu triggers. Does anyone know if I can use a BTVS stock on my GV rifle? If so does it drop in with my original screws and trigger gaurd? Or will it require modifications and new hardware? Thank you for your help in advance!

~Semper Fi~
i am pretty sure the stock will work with no modifications. usually the letters are indicative of the stock and features of the rifle. beings you already have a wood stock, the triggerguard and screws should work. the only thing i am not certain of are the screws though. i know when i replaced my synthetic stock with a Boyd's laminated stock i had to order a triggerguard and new longer action screws.

but the actions are all the same. the biggest difference are the barrel diameters.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thank you Axe55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i am pretty sure the stock will work with no modifications. usually the letters are indicative of the stock and features of the rifle. beings you already have a wood stock, the triggerguard and screws should work. the only thing i am not certain of are the screws though. i know when i replaced my synthetic stock with a Boyd's laminated stock i had to order a triggerguard and new longer action screws.

but the actions are all the same. the biggest difference are the barrel diameters.
Thanks a ton sir! I don't want to pass on either one of these stocks they are laminate an look great plus cheaper than Boyd's granted they are used. Appreciate your help!

~Semper Fi~
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

rick254tx - I have three (3) Savage 93R17 Stainless Rifles. I replaced the stocks on all three, with the Boyd's Thumb Hole Stocks. They dropped right in, with no problems. I did have to purchase the Boyd's Trigger Guards & the Boyd's Magazine Plates. This hardware came with the extra screws for each set. You'll need these, if you have a synthetic stock. I'm guessing you won't need these, if your rifle came with a wood stock.

My advice is to wait for the Boyd's Stocks are available. They are very inexpensive and great quality. There is also several colors / patterns to choose from.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thank you jmborge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmborge View Post
rick254tx - I have three (3) Savage 93R17 Stainless Rifles. I replaced the stocks on all three, with the Boyd's Thumb Hole Stocks. They dropped right in, with no problems. I did have to purchase the Boyd's Trigger Guards & the Boyd's Magazine Plates. This hardware came with the extra screws for each set. You'll need these, if you have a synthetic stock. I'm guessing you won't need these, if your rifle came with a wood stock.

My advice is to wait for the Boyd's Stocks are available. They are very inexpensive and great quality. There is also several colors / patterns to choose from.
Appreciate the advice guys! One more thing I failed to mention my 93R17 GV is a NON accu trigger rifle. Made in 2004 labeled a NON E receiver. From what savage told me. From what I understand from Boyd's website is that I may require Some fitting when using there stocks. Due to the difference in receiver lengths? Guess we will see sooner or later.

~Semper Fi~

Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick254tx View Post
Appreciate the advice guys! One more thing I failed to mention my 93R17 GV is a NON accu trigger rifle. Made in 2004 labeled a NON E receiver. From what savage told me. From what I understand from Boyd's website is that I may require Some fitting when using there stocks. Due to the difference in receiver lengths? Guess we will see sooner or later.

~Semper Fi~
i bought mine in 2003 and it's a non-AccuTrigger model. yes i had to relieve mine around the safety lever just a little bit. but Boyd's also mentions this on their website. i had to trim just a little on my other Boyd's stock as well. nothing a little time, a sharp knife and some sandpaper didn't fix.

IIRC, they list the same stocks for both types of the model 93.
misc.-006-100.jpg