Savage 93 bolt issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Savage 93 bolt issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Savage 93 bolt issue

Calling all gunsmiths, amateur or otherwise:

I have a Savage 93R17 BV. If you know this model you know it comes with a pretty small bolt handle. So I had Savage send me the more robust part that comes on the TR model.

I knew that I was going to have to check the headspacing once I got the new handle affixed to the actual bolt but here's the issue I encountered:

I inserted the bolt, new handle and all. It cocks, I can dry fire but the handle doesn't fully seat downward. Not sure what the issue is, unless that's the headspacing that needs adjustment. It appears that aside from a larger knob the two handles, small and new tactical, are the same size.

Any advise/expertise/solutions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBourbon View Post
Calling all gunsmiths, amateur or otherwise:

I have a Savage 93R17 BV. If you know this model you know it comes with a pretty small bolt handle. So I had Savage send me the more robust part that comes on the TR model.

I knew that I was going to have to check the headspacing once I got the new handle affixed to the actual bolt but here's the issue I encountered:

I inserted the bolt, new handle and all. It cocks, I can dry fire but the handle doesn't fully seat downward. Not sure what the issue is, unless that's the headspacing that needs adjustment. It appears that aside from a larger knob the two handles, small and new tactical, are the same size.

Any advise/expertise/solutions?
Yea, don't dry fire a rimfire!! There are very few rimfires that you can safely dry fire.

But as far as your question, can you provide any pictures or possibly a more detailed explanation? It would help a lot if we could see it like you do.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So the only part you replaced was the bolt handle? You need to explain more so we can understand and can help.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #4

thanks for the replies fellas. sorry for the delay. deadlines at the workhouse. anyway. take a look. the one on the right is the new handle attached to the bolt. obviously the one on the left was what got replaced. same thing, different knob. second pic shows how far down the handle will seat. the bolt is as far forward in the receiver as it'll go. that handle should be waaay farther down.

bolts.jpg   bolt2.jpg  

Last edited by BillyBourbon; 02-22-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #5

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBourbon
thanks for the replies fellas. sorry for the delay. deadlines at the workhouse. anyway. take a look. the one on the right is the new handle attached to the bolt. obviously the one on the left was what got replaced. same thing, different knob. second pic shows how far down the handle will seat. the bolt is as far forward in the receiver as it'll go. that handle should be waaay farther down.
On the old one, is that threading or a spring?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda

On the old one, is that threading or a spring?
Actually that's a spring. There are threads just inward of the handle that couple the assembly together.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9149 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

IIRC, on that rifle, as with most rimfires, there are no locking lugs on the bolt- lock is obtained from the section at the base of the bolt handle engaging the notch in the frame of the firearm.

If you have not changed the bolt, headspace would be unlikely to be changed, HOWEVER- a dimensional difference in the square section at the base of the bolt handle WILL affect lockup. If the new handle has a larger base, it will not engage the notch in the same way.

Take a mike and measure both new and old, see what you get.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #8

here I'll reveal my ignorance. what's a mike?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBourbon View Post
here I'll reveal my ignorance. what's a mike?
Micrometer. If you reload you can use a caliper also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Aha! MICROMETER.
I have some precision calipers I use in cabinetmaking and finish carpentry. Gets down to the 100ths. So I'm measuring the length of the two handles to see if there's any minute discrepancies between the two?
I pride myself on my mechanical aptitude as a builder and carpenter. Rifles are a relatively new undertaking and gun smithing is a skill I'd like to take up so I can maintain and modify my toys myself. Obviously they're nothing to f@~k around with so all the patient feedback is greatly appreciated. A gunsmith will be doing all the tinkering until I gain the confidence to do this stuff myself.
Thanks, folks.