Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Savage 64 TRR-SR vs Ruger 1022 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/savage-64-trr-sr-vs-ruger-1022-a-62458/)

testarija 04-13-2012 03:20 PM

Savage 64 TRR-SR vs Ruger 1022

I recently purchased the Savage 64 TRR-SR... mounted a muzzle brake and scope and I'm really happy with its performance. At 75 yards, it performs about 3 inch groupings. It was between this rifle or the Ruger 1022.

I would really appreciate to hear from others who own the Savage 64 TRR-SR and what their opinions are about it's performance. More so, I would love to hear from those who own or have fired both rifles (Savage and Ruger) and their comparisons.

Thanks guys.

JTJ 04-13-2012 04:50 PM

I have shot many 10-22's and other 22 rifles but not the Savage 64. I have shot Savage MKII rifles. I am waiting on an MKII FVSR which is the bolt equivalent of your rifle. 3" @ 75 yards is sub par for a good 22 rifle. Try some different brands of ammo and some standard velocity. 22's are finicky and like different brands. Mini mags are usually pretty good in most rifles. Try shooting it without the muzzle brake. It could be misaligned.

testarija 04-13-2012 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. I hear a lot of good things about the mini mags. I'll try to pick some up for this weekends range visit. You mentioned something about the muzzle brake. Does this affect the accuracy? My muzzle brake has holes on the side. here's a pic of my savage. And suggestions?

dks7895 04-13-2012 06:59 PM

IMO your scope is mounted too high. I think it would be hard to get a good cheek weld with it that high. But that's just me. Try other ammo as suggested and look at improving the trigger. That rifle is capable of better. Keep us posted.

Triumphman 04-13-2012 07:44 PM

Like was said, think scope is mounted too high(both rifles), but if shoot well and you like it--don't let us deter you on your scope mount. What I do notice that could be problem with scope, is that the "Illuminating knob" appears mounted in a off-center cant. All illuminating knobs I've seen, have been perfectly lined up with the elevation knob on the top side of scope. Also that muzzle break should be perfectly fine, as long as it's squared up with barrel. If canted in any direction, it will deflect the gases incorrectly and deflect the bullet ever so slightly, but it will be enough. I like both your rifles, and I also own both a 10/22(1-stock and 1-custom target) and a Savage(MKII) and a Marlin (917VRX) which is from the new XT series, but only the 10/22's are semiauto. Surprisingly, all my 22's like CCI Mini Mags, BUT in different grain weights, so no 2 rifles will shoot the same ammo, so you need to try different grains and ammo Manufacturers to get full potential.
Del

testarija 04-13-2012 07:49 PM

thanks guys. hahaha. I forgot to mention, that this is an old picture and I've already changed the mount to be lower and also replaced it with a better scope on just the Savage. On the AR15, the scope illuminate knob is made that way. I know; most i've seen is how you described it. thanks for the ammo tips... trying the mini mag tomorrow. so far, the Savage hates hollow points....

JTJ 04-13-2012 08:02 PM

Some scopes have the illuminating knob set at 45 degrees. The muzzle brake can affect accuracy if it is not properly aligned. Put a cleaning rod in the barrel and make sure it is not touching the brake. It should also be timed so the holes are in the correct position. That is done with shims. Try sandbagging the rear of the stock to take any shake out while you are sighting in. I use bags with rice in them instead of sand. They squeeze better for adjustment and are a lot lighter.

hardluk1 04-13-2012 10:10 PM

Take the muzzle brake off. May hurt more than help. Have you tried some wolf or sk ammo or federal match ammo.,cci green and standard. If you can't get to group around 1 1/2" to 2" something sounds off. Is the scope your useing made to work with a rimfire or centerfire. Parilux could be a problem. if you have a typical high power rifle scope thats your problem. I did get to help a buddy tune his savage 64, he had a centerpoint 4-16 scope that parilux would focus down to 10 yards. His 64 would shoot 2" at 100 yards with wolf/sk. Stock ruger 10/22 are not great ether but can be upgraded to shoot 100 yard groups of less than 1". Our two are not stock.

testarija 04-13-2012 10:42 PM

I think I will take the muzzle brake off this weekend. It looks cool but if it causes any minut affect on accuracy, then it's coming off perminently. I actually never shot it without the muzzle. i'm trying a lot of ammo this weekend, some of what you mentioned in your list. Thanks

hardluk1 04-14-2012 01:04 PM

Just besure to give your rifle ,maybe 10m rounds between ammo changes before desideing if its any good. Takes a while to wear off the lube from the "other ammo". You could shoot some wolf and then a cheap federal and it shoot better for a mag worth of rounds then go back to shooting as good or bad as it can.