Savage in 17HMR - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Savage in 17HMR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can't go wrong with the Nikon scope. Good choice for that rifle.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #12

I have a Savage 17 HMR and a 204. Both are excellent rifles with very little recoil and the accu-triger which would be good for teaching new shooters the feel of a trigger. Also, my Savages are most accurate with Hornady ammo.

You can't buy accuracy.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Is that the scope they sell with most of their rifles? I've heard so many good reviews on the Nikkon scopes lately that I have to give them a try.
BSA makes scopes that match the ballistics of certain rounds. The BSA sweet 17 scope is to be zeroed at 100 yards and from there you can adjust distance on scope and it should match bullet travel. They also make scopes for 22 cal and possibly others. They are good scopes just not as clear as they could be.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #14

While looking for a plinking/practice and sometimes field gun, the Savage rimfires rose to the top of the list. The issue became which model would suit me best. After a lot of research, some basic math, and a gut feel, I bought a .22lr MkII FSS. This is a stainless and synthetic gun. After figuring how much I would like to use it for practice, and the cost of ammo, the scope was paid for with the difference in ammo expense.

The .17 cal rounds are excellent field guns. Accurate beyond rimfire standards. For me the .22 fit better. The gun is incredibly accurate (there is a $40 Simmons scope on it,) with good ammo. It is 'hunting accurate' with nearly any ammo.

I have right at $260 in this rifle. Three new shooters have used it to gain an understanding of firearms safety, basic shooting skills, and range etiquette. For that alone, it was worth the money.

The Savage rimfires are great deal. Caliber probably won't matter for accuracy.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have the Savage with the Gray laminated stock. It's got a pretty cheap Simmons Pro-sport 3x9x40 scope on it. Came with the rifle when I got it. It does pretty well but I'd like to get some betyter glass for it at some point. But really it does well enough as it is. I'm just not the biggest fan of Simmons optics. Really fun rifle to shoot but I don't get it out much anymore. I had one with a synthetic stock before. My wife like it better she says. I guess because it was a little lighter. I'm thinking that it was a bit shorter too but I can't remember. Great crow killer though

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #16

A few of you guys have offered up the idea of a 22. This is a great round and I will be buying a lever action in it eventually. Right now my Dad has a 22 semi-auto so he has that niche covered for me and leaves me able to move on to something with a little more distance and accuracy in it.

I think I'll be heading up to a couple gun shops in the area next week to check out where I want to buy. Looks like Bud's has a good deal on the scope I want if I can't find it for less up here. Thanks for everybody's help, it is very much appreciated.