Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Santa Left a 10/22 Under the Tree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Santa Left a 10/22 Under the Tree

I woke up this morning to find that the fat man left me a brand-spanking new 10/22 under the tree. I didn't think I'd been good enough this year. Go figure.

It's box stock, blued, birch stock, so I won't bother positing pictures. But, if I were a soda can or a plastic milk jug, I'd be nervous right now. The GWP (Great White Plinker) is on the prowl

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Congrats on your present! Now you'll catch the fever to modify it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #3

No, I think it will stay pretty much stock for a while. Although.......the trigger leaves a little to be desired, and I need a scope.

Speaking of scopes, I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to optics, mounts, and rings. I figure I'll just get a cheap Bushnell 3-9 x 32 from Midway. But I'm thoroughly confused about mounts and rings. Anyone have any specific recommendations on economical (er....cheap) 1 piece mounts and rings? Do I need "low", "medium", or "high" rings? Will any rings that are referred to as "Weaver style" work with any mount that is likewise classified?

Keep in mind that, for the time being anyway, this is purely a recreational rifle, so I probably don't need anything too elaborate.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations. 10/22's are addicting. As far as the trigger goes, Stalkingbear is the man to see for a trigger job. Enjoy that rascal.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The 10/22's are real nice. Fun and cheap to shoot. Enjoy.

OC

"magbum"

Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

I got one, too, but it was no real surprise. Got the all-weather in stainless with synthetic stock, which I'm sure I'll change out.

Took it out to the north forty with an old scope I put on it and couldn't hit the broad side. Too cold to spend the time to properly sight in, but I just had to shoot the little dude.

I'm looking forward to spending a lot of days tinkering and customizing....and just shooting the living daylights out of her.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Congratulations. 10/22's are addicting. As far as the trigger goes, Stalkingbear is the man to see for a trigger job. Enjoy that rascal.
I was gonna recommend the same thing. I've got a stock 10/22 that I plan on leaving that way. But at some point, I'm going to get another with a bull barrel for some target shooting, and the trigger group will go to Bear for a good working over.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post

Took it out to the north forty with an old scope I put on it and couldn't hit the broad side. Too cold to spend the time to properly sight in, but I just had to shoot the little dude.
I wish I had a north forty to take mine out to. I'm going to have to wait for a weekend and some decent weather to take it out to a range.

What made me think I wanted a house in the 'burbs?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

Believe me, living in the country is great in many ways, but I miss the 'burbs often.....

Old 12-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #10

Congrats on the new rifle's folks. I'm sure you'll enjoy those 10/22's as much as everyone else enjoys theirs.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA