Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > S&W AR15-22 Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Default S&W AR15-22 Ammo

I have found my AR15-22 to be a little finicky about what it will eat. I'm pleased to report that the rifle digested Winchester 555 bulk quite well today. This was the first time I've tried that ammo. CCI Mini-Mags work well. Blazers work well. Forget Remington, although the Vipers moved with only a few hiccups. Federal was probably the worst.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I have found my AR15-22 to be a little finicky about what it will eat. I'm pleased to report that the rifle digested Winchester 555 bulk quite well today. This was the first time I've tried that ammo. CCI Mini-Mags work well. Blazers work well. Forget Remington, although the Vipers moved with only a few hiccups. Federal was probably the worst.
Ive had mine abuot 3 months, gone through 2 boxes of that walmart 555 rd box, hollow point for 25$ a box, no problems at all. Not sure what brand it is, federal sounds right.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronil View Post
Ive had mine abuot 3 months, gone through 2 boxes of that walmart 555 rd box, hollow point for 25$ a box, no problems at all. Not sure what brand it is, federal sounds right.
If it's the red 555 they sell at Walmart, then that's the Winchester.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
If it's the red 555 they sell at Walmart, then that's the Winchester.
Yep thats what i meant to say, winchester...posted before first cup of coffee.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Odd how different guns like different ammo. My 15-22 loves Federal bulk pack and Winchester 333 from Walmart. My experience is to forget Remington Golden in any type semi auto, long or hand.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

My Colt M4 .22LR is pretty much the same, gobbles up the bulk Federal and Winchester at Walmart but occasionally FTF with Remington Golden Bullet. And wouldn't you know over the years I've accumulated a lot of GB! Oh well, my Ruger Mark II has no problem with GB.

What's interesting is it's real hard to chamber the first round of GB in the Colt but once it does and fires the others in the mag are more prone to chamber. I've found that in a pinch I can put a Federal as the top round in the mag and then maybe 10 GBs will chamber before one finally sticks. Doesn't make sense but it happens so I guess operating the action fast slams the round in better than me dropping the bolt hard, maybe the charging handle going forward when you manually chamber adds a little drag, too.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Kostriker

Liked 1404 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 2863

I have been firing Blazer CCI .22 LR for day one, initially had some Remington ammo, just misfires and the extractor (spring, extractor and retainig pin) came apart due to remington crap ammo. Re-installed the extractor. Did contact S&W for a Fedex shipping label, came late. After fre-assembly and firing 600 rounds and no misfires from Blazer CCI .22LR ammo.

I am not a salesman; but, Blazer works!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 AM   #8

I normally get CCI standard, 40gr. Only fired a couple hundred rounds or it, but didnt have a single problem. I do however want to find a bulk pack that works. I was considering the Federals, but I think I will look for the Winchester now.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Federal bulk stuff is the only bulk ammo I've got to work in all my 22's (two pistol - two rifles) without any issues.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #10

Well at about $20 for a pack, it couldnt hurt to try right? I guess I will give both Federal and Winchester a shot.