Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   S&W AR15-22 Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/s-w-ar15-22-ammo-29397/)

ScottA 07-17-2010 12:40 AM

S&W AR15-22 Ammo
 
I have found my AR15-22 to be a little finicky about what it will eat. I'm pleased to report that the rifle digested Winchester 555 bulk quite well today. This was the first time I've tried that ammo. CCI Mini-Mags work well. Blazers work well. Forget Remington, although the Vipers moved with only a few hiccups. Federal was probably the worst.

metronil 07-20-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 316120)
I have found my AR15-22 to be a little finicky about what it will eat. I'm pleased to report that the rifle digested Winchester 555 bulk quite well today. This was the first time I've tried that ammo. CCI Mini-Mags work well. Blazers work well. Forget Remington, although the Vipers moved with only a few hiccups. Federal was probably the worst.

Ive had mine abuot 3 months, gone through 2 boxes of that walmart 555 rd box, hollow point for 25$ a box, no problems at all. Not sure what brand it is, federal sounds right.

ScottA 07-20-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metronil (Post 317712)
Ive had mine abuot 3 months, gone through 2 boxes of that walmart 555 rd box, hollow point for 25$ a box, no problems at all. Not sure what brand it is, federal sounds right.

If it's the red 555 they sell at Walmart, then that's the Winchester.

metronil 07-20-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 317798)
If it's the red 555 they sell at Walmart, then that's the Winchester.

Yep thats what i meant to say, winchester...posted before first cup of coffee.

raveneap 07-24-2010 02:39 PM

Odd how different guns like different ammo. My 15-22 loves Federal bulk pack and Winchester 333 from Walmart. My experience is to forget Remington Golden in any type semi auto, long or hand.

Quentin 07-24-2010 07:36 PM

My Colt M4 .22LR is pretty much the same, gobbles up the bulk Federal and Winchester at Walmart but occasionally FTF with Remington Golden Bullet. And wouldn't you know over the years I've accumulated a lot of GB! :eek: Oh well, my Ruger Mark II has no problem with GB.

What's interesting is it's real hard to chamber the first round of GB in the Colt but once it does and fires the others in the mag are more prone to chamber. I've found that in a pinch I can put a Federal as the top round in the mag and then maybe 10 GBs will chamber before one finally sticks. Doesn't make sense but it happens so I guess operating the action fast slams the round in better than me dropping the bolt hard, maybe the charging handle going forward when you manually chamber adds a little drag, too.

Bigcountry02 07-25-2010 04:49 AM

I have been firing Blazer CCI .22 LR for day one, initially had some Remington ammo, just misfires and the extractor (spring, extractor and retainig pin) came apart due to remington crap ammo. Re-installed the extractor. Did contact S&W for a Fedex shipping label, came late. After fre-assembly and firing 600 rounds and no misfires from Blazer CCI .22LR ammo.

I am not a salesman; but, Blazer works!

vjf915 08-12-2010 05:29 AM

I normally get CCI standard, 40gr. Only fired a couple hundred rounds or it, but didnt have a single problem. I do however want to find a bulk pack that works. I was considering the Federals, but I think I will look for the Winchester now.

DrumJunkie 08-12-2010 05:50 AM

Federal bulk stuff is the only bulk ammo I've got to work in all my 22's (two pistol - two rifles) without any issues.

vjf915 08-12-2010 02:45 PM

Well at about $20 for a pack, it couldnt hurt to try right? I guess I will give both Federal and Winchester a shot.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.