S&W 15/22- Vortex StrikeFire Problem - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > S&W 15/22- Vortex StrikeFire Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

they are parralex free at 50+ yards. the varience at less than 50 yards is less than 2". mine is zeroed at 25yards and drills one hole groups from 10-25 yards. what that means is if your eye relief is extreme up/down or left/right or a combo of both your shots will drift in a 2" circle around your poa.

i tested it out on mine the last range session and you gotta be way outside the eye relief for it to matter. i want to take it out rabbit hunting and wnted to see how much the parrelex affects the poi and its extremely minimal.

if it was a life and deeath shtf type application i would have sprung for a acog eotech or aimpoint.

its a non issue for a recreational 22lr
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Like the company rep said, 20 yds is probably too close for practical use with a scope on your gun, especially if there's over an inch or so between the height of the scope and the center of the barrel. You may have noticed that most scopes designed for a .22 sit very low on the receiver/barrel. However, the height of an optic on a 15-22 is usually a good bit more due to it's AR style design. If you think you really need a scope assist at that distance, I have no good reply for you. Instead, I'd recommend using the iron factory sight for close (less than 100 feet or so) shots and optics for longer ranges. I have the red dot and a laser on my 15-22 set so I see the iron sight through the red dot and they all zero/converge at about 30 yards. A friend has a similar setup to mine on his gun but has the laser set to zero in at 75 yards.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders
Like the company rep said, 20 yds is probably too close for practical use with a scope on your gun, especially if there's over an inch or so between the height of the scope and the center of the barrel. You may have noticed that most scopes designed for a .22 sit very low on the receiver/barrel. However, the height of an optic on a 15-22 is usually a good bit more due to it's AR style design. If you think you really need a scope assist at that distance, I have no good reply for you. Instead, I'd recommend using the iron factory sight for close (less than 100 feet or so) shots and optics for longer ranges. I have the red dot and a laser on my 15-22 set so I see the iron sight through the red dot and they all zero/converge at about 30 yards. A friend has a similar setup to mine on his gun but has the laser set to zero in at 75 yards.
If 20-25 yards is too close, then I don't need this scope. For me, 20-30 yards Is about where I like to shoot. Whether it be at a squirrel or a rabbit or a tin can or paper targets. I just truly don't understand why a scope can't be set to the desired distance. I understand that if I set it for 20 yards there will be some dropping issues when I back up, but I think it should be able to be set in at 20 yards. Ivan afraid I got a lemon scope.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #14

Howdy,
I also think the problem is the distance between the dot and the barrel bore. Your dot is a straight line. Your bullet trajectory is an arc. You can really have pinpoint accuracy at 2 distances of that arc. I also noticed that on mine with the red dot. The red dot is mounted too high over the bore to be really accurate except at the distance that you set it for. Have a goodun!!!!