Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > S&W 15/22- Vortex StrikeFire Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default S&W 15/22- Vortex StrikeFire Problem

I Need some help and advice. I have a S&W 15/22 with a Vortex StrikeFire red dot scope. I am trying to zero the scope in and it is driving me nuts. I am shooting off a table and a Caldwell Matrix rest at 20 yrds. I will shoot let's say, high and to the left 5 in. I move the scope low and to the right. It brings it down, low and to the right, but not as far as it needs to go. So I move it just 2-3 click it the correct direction to try to zero. Next thing I know, its shooting low and to the right 6 inches. I know it shouldn't move that drastically with 2-3 clicks. I shot 100+ rounds and it would never stay consistent. I have tightened the scope mount to the rail. Groups are good with each adjustment, it's just always in a different area. HELP!!!!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Likes Given: 5

I tried just a cheap Bushnell red dot on my 15-22. Could not get that thing to shoot within 4 inches of each shot. Frustrated I pulled the scope off and put on a quick detach NC Star with hard cross hairs and mill dots. Will shoot 1 inch steady all day now...not sure why. I even asked how your supposed to site with a red dot... Mine did not like em. I wish you luck. This little 22 is my favorite rifle

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I gave $150.00 for the scope. I know it's not an eotech, but for $150.00, it should be able to be zeroed.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Look into a sight mark. They're only about 100 or so. I had one on my m&p15 for awhile before I changed uppers and it shot decently for how cheap it was. Kept a solid 1.5" group with it and it help the zero. I'm sure it could be better if it was in the hands of a better shooter

Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Im not really wanting to get another scope. I would like to get this one working. I just don't understand what would cause this problem. Could the dot be moving? Seems to me that something is moving around on the scope or it would not do what its doing.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

Liked 673 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 681

OK, lets make it simple. Fire a few shots. With the rifle locked in the rest. Adjust the dot so it comes in line w/ the strikes. You will be on target.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've got three Strike Fires, and have never had a problem with them. If you're unable to resolve this issue, I'd suggest sending it back to Vortex. They'll either Repair it or Replace it. I've had one on my 15-22 before, and switched it to another rifle, and it still works just fine.

They are generally very good Scopes.

Curious, but do you happen to have yours on a Riser, or just the 15-22's Picatinny Rail? Can you provide a pic?

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718
I've got three Strike Fires, and have never had a problem with them. If you're unable to resolve this issue, I'd suggest sending it back to Vortex. They'll either Repair it or Replace it. I've had one on my 15-22 before, and switched it to another rifle, and it still works just fine.

They are generally very good Scopes.

Curious, but do you happen to have yours on a Riser, or just the 15-22's Picatinny Rail? Can you provide a pic?

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
It is on the riser that comes with the AR version of the scope. I will post a pic later.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I just called Vortex optics, and the guy told me that that scope is not made to be set in at less than 50 yards. I don't understand that!! If I can't shoot a .22 at 20 yrds, then I don't want/need the scope. He told me I might have to set it in for 50 yrds, and just know that I will have to compensate up closer. That's just not going to work. I guess I'll have to take it back and try another one.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by larich29 View Post
I just called Vortex optics, and the guy told me that that scope is not made to be set in at less than 50 yards. I don't understand that!! If I can't shoot a .22 at 20 yrds, then I don't want/need the scope. He told me I might have to set it in for 50 yrds, and just know that I will have to compensate up closer. That's just not going to work. I guess I'll have to take it back and try another one.
Hmmmm! That doesn't sound right either. I've got one Scope set for 50 yds, however, my other two are set at 25 yds, and they work just fine. That's the first I've heard, that they are not made to be set less than 50 yds. I wonder if he's referring to the Parallax-Free at 50 yds..... Here is an excerpt from the StrikeFire Owners Manual:

"Shooting the StrikeFire
The key thing to remember when shooting with the StrikeFire
red dot scope is to keep both your eyes open! Shooting
with both eyes open allows you to take full advantage of the
StrikeFire’s ability to get on target very quickly.
Note: When using the add-on magnifi er for distance shooting, you
may fi nd it easier to shoot with one eye closed due to the increased
magnifi cation.
The StrikeFire is parallax free beyond 50 yards and has less
than 1 inch of parallax inside of 50 yards. This means that
eye placement is not critical—as long as you can see the dot,
you’ll hit your target!"

I'd call back sometime this week, and see if you get another Rep, that either confirms that, or tells you something different. Does he realize it's only a 1X Scope? Another... hmmmmm!

Please let us know what else you find out, if you make a follow-up call.

Thanks!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"