Ruger SR22P
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger SR22P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Ruger SR22P

So I took my new Ruger SR22 home last night and I gotta say, I am not overly impressed. One of the magazines is missing a part. The gun was actually dripping in oil and it took me 25 minutes to clean it up. The feel of the gun is smaller than I expected. Even with the install of the larger grip, it still feels like a kiddie gun (my LCP feels more comfortable). The action is not tight as you would expect with a brand new gun, and even though it's only a plinker, the spring and guide rod are cheapo crap. I am hoping my thoughts change after I fire a couple hundred rounds through it, but for now....I am giving this gun a 3 out of 10 rating. Will re-rate after my shooting experience should I feel this is too much of a knee jerk reaction.

Anybody else have issues with this gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's a $300 pistol, so don't expect a $900 shooter.

I enjoy shooting the SR22P. It is a great plinker and cheap to shoot range gun. IMO, I delivers good value for the price paid.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I was considering getting one for my mom .It's between sr22 and a Walther may go ahed and get the Walther

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

My wife has one and I've shot it and shoots great for a .22. No problems here. You did hold it at the store, right?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

I bought it online & picked it up @ the local. The manager and I were both amazed at how much oil was dripping off that thing. I hear Ruger might be upgrading their clips. That would be wise. I just loaded them up & as expected, they suck. Can't wait to plink with it tomorrow. Hope their gun out shoots all their cheap stuff. I have a Ruger 380 and it is a flawless weapon. I used to have a P89 and it was awesome. This is clearly not up to their standard.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #6

Agree, it's an inexpensive alternative to a pricey shooter. Still fun stuff though.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love the SR22P. Bought two of them and shoot them a lot. Quite accurate with that fixed barrel, and never jams. My SR22Ps have had not a single jam in over 3000 rounds. Sometimes Ruger does lay on the packing grease, but really the SR22P breaks down so simply and easily it should be possible to have it ready for the range in around 5-7 minutes. For what it is the SR22P is about as good as it gets IMHO. I'll take it over the SIG or Walther any day.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

i have a sr22. waited intentionally for it to come out because the walther has a wierd mag eject. and also the sr22 has a decocker. i think the sr22 is of way better quality than the walther. so the gun came oiled.. hmm wierd. oh wait its a new gun. in my house new guns get cleaned as much before shooting as old guns. so your point? they just didnt want it to rust on ya. so back to the gun. its pretty accurate for a small plinker. you will not get bullseye accuracy but can keep all the shots on paper. if we were going for accuracy you should have bought a mk 2 or 3. whats missing from the magazine? the extended floor plate? it should be in the box and can be easily swapped out. the large grip is more comfy in my hands but it is still a small pistol. my wife prefers the smaller grip. overall for the price. you cant beat the quality of this pistol.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #9

Went to the range yesterday. Big mistake on weekends! Will have to get it in sometime after work this week. Really hope performs as advertised. Anybody shooting CCI Stingers through this gun?

Last edited by danolator; 06-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Went to the range yesterday. Big mistake on weekends! Will have to get it in sometime after work this week. Really hope performs as advertised. Anybody shooting CCI Stingers through this gun?
ive fed mine cci mini mags, and federal bulk packs with no issues. no stingers though
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.