Ruger Single Six Owners - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger Single Six Owners

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,915
Liked 321 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

Single six was my first handgun and I shot it as much as I could. The gun was more accurate w the 22 mag than 22 LR cylinder but I suppose it makes sense (.224 ).

However, it always irritated me for two reasons:
1. 22 Mag Ammo is Expensive.
2. We didn't use earplugs for 22s in those days - 22 mag - got your attention.

Sold it for Ruger MK I w 3 clips. 35 yrs later - Kinda miss it and wish I had documented the accuracy difference.
Gonzilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 191
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default

I have a convertible Single Six. It is a great gun. In the past I shot long rifles almost exclusively in it. However it now has the magnum cylinder in it. I now also have a S & W Model 317 Airlite for long rifles. It has a 3 inch barrel with adjustable sights. It is an 8 shot revolver and only weighs 9.9 ounces. When I am out knocking about in the woods, riding my 4 wheeler, hiking, or working, it is so light and compact that it never gets in the way. I never know it is there.
__________________
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Win73 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,154
Liked 226 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Single six was my first handgun and I shot it as much as I could. The gun was more accurate w the 22 mag than 22 LR cylinder but I suppose it makes sense (.224 ).

However, it always irritated me for two reasons:
1. 22 Mag Ammo is Expensive.
2. We didn't use earplugs for 22s in those days - 22 mag - got your attention.

Sold it for Ruger MK I w 3 clips. 35 yrs later - Kinda miss it and wish I had documented the accuracy difference.
I always wondered why the convertible revolvers I have shot seemed to like the mags better, I never realized there was a difference in the diameter of the bullet between a mag and a long rifle. It's too bad they have to be set up that way, I would much rather have one that is set up to shoot good for the long rifle and not have the magnum capability as it isn't any fun to shoot anyways.
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 4,013
Liked 1330 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Default

Quote:
However, it always irritated me for two reasons:
1. 22 Mag Ammo is Expensive.
2. We didn't use earplugs for 22s in those days - 22 mag - got your attention.
So, why is that the gun's fault? at what point in the past did ear protection become available? I don't think the ammo cost for the mags are THAT bad. I just won't shoot 500 rounds in a day. Hard to go thru a ton of ammo with a single action anyway.
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,154
Liked 226 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
So, why is that the gun's fault? at what point in the past did ear protection become available? I don't think the ammo cost for the mags are THAT bad. I just won't shoot 500 rounds in a day. Hard to go thru a ton of ammo with a single action anyway.
I don't believe anyone said anything about it being the gun's fault, 22mag shells are and always have been far more expensive, and many people years ago, myself included didn't bother with ear plugs, to this day I don't wear them unless I am target shooting, it makes it hard to hear the critters you are attempting to ambush if you have crap stuck in your ears. It is simply the opinion of some of us that we find Long Rifle a cheaper and more enjoyable round to shoot out of the pistol. I can go through just as much ammo with a single action as anyone can with a semiauto, it just may take me a few extra minutes due to reload time, lol.
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
raveneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Augusta, Maine,Maine
Posts: 106
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I'm on my second single six. Had my first for several years and then a guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So, sold it and went right to my LGS and bought another. They're well made, strong as a tank, loads of fun to shoot and Ruger stands behind their products. But chances are, you'll never have to find out.
__________________
... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...
raveneap is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,915
Liked 321 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

IMO - its about full disclosure as I thought I was buying a 22 LR pistol primarily that had the capability to upgrade to 22 Mag if or when needed.

Guns & Ammo had a good article on this issue as the pistol is designed to shoot one caliber and accuracy will be degraded with another.

What we got was a 22 Mag pistol that can shoot 22 LR when needed or necessary. (the opposite of my original intention) I'm sure there are some exceptions to every rule but as a young man, no one ever brought this to my attention. There were no Internet chat rooms back then, no YouTube and even gun writers were more or less silent.

I tried to talk to Ruger about accuracy and they refused to comment. I was also interested in their conversion pistol made for 38/357 but has extra 9mm cylinder. They test it w the 147 gr or the heaviest 9mm shell they make. I contacted Bowen to see what they could do to improve accuracy and it got expensive real fast. They (Bowen) advised me go w the 45 LC and 45 ACP as they start w same diameter.

Just my .02 and lesson learned the hard way.
Gonzilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,154
Liked 226 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
IMO - its about full disclosure as I thought I was buying a 22 LR pistol primarily that had the capability to upgrade to 22 Mag if or when needed.

Guns & Ammo had a good article on this issue as the pistol is designed to shoot one caliber and accuracy will be degraded with another.

What we got was a 22 Mag pistol that can shoot 22 LR when needed or necessary. (the opposite of my original intention) I'm sure there are some exceptions to every rule but as a young man, no one ever brought this to my attention. There were no Internet chat rooms back then, no YouTube and even gun writers were more or less silent.

I tried to talk to Ruger about accuracy and they refused to comment. I was also interested in their conversion pistol made for 38/357 but has extra 9mm cylinder. They test it w the 147 gr or the heaviest 9mm shell they make. I contacted Bowen to see what they could do to improve accuracy and it got expensive real fast. They (Bowen) advised me go w the 45 LC and 45 ACP as they start w same diameter.

Just my .02 and lesson learned the hard way.
I agree with that, I never realized that was how it worked either, was there ever a single six which didnt have the convertible capability, which would possibly throw the lr better?
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,915
Liked 321 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

The Ruger bearcat is 22 LR only and the new 10 shot is LR. While the new gun has the fiber optic sights many people prefer, it looks - well - just wrong on a single action IMO.

I love them on my HK and 1911 but for some reason, single actions are in another category altogether.
Gonzilla is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,154
Liked 226 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
The Ruger bearcat is 22 LR only and the new 10 shot is LR. While the new gun has the fiber optic sights many people prefer, it looks - well - just wrong on a single action IMO.

I love them on my HK and 1911 but for some reason, single actions are in another category altogether.
I agree, those sights on the single 10 just don't look right. I like the little bearcat, I wonder if that barrel on the single 10 is any different bore than the one on the single six convertible I'm gonna see if there's a way I can contact someone to find out.
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger .357 and Single Six .22 Value yosemitegreg Revolver Handguns 2 01-20-2012 04:14 AM
Ruger lc9 owners g17frantz Semi-Auto Handguns 12 11-04-2011 03:47 PM
Ruger Single Six EagleDreamer General Handgun Discussion 30 07-22-2011 08:56 PM
New Ruger Single Six ninjatoth Revolver Handguns 13 02-04-2010 12:09 AM
Ruger NM Single Six sinzitu Revolver Handguns 10 03-12-2009 09:22 PM