Ruger American First Impressions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger American First Impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ruger American First Impressions

Ordered a Ruger American compact .22lr last week and picked it up yesterday. This is a very nicely crafted rifle with a beautiful finish on it. I took it all apart and cleaned and inspected it, it's a very well built machine. I mounted some weaver #12 bases and mounted a scope and headed out to test it. I ran 75 rounds of varying brand of 22 through it without one problem. The rifle seems very accurate and the bolt is smoothing out nicely. I don't shoot paper targets but was hitting 3" and 4" metal targets at 160 yds. The trigger right out of the box is superb, very light and crisp and breaks very clean. I think Ruger has a real winner on it's hands. Anyone else have one? what's your thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have the 22mag and I really like it. Wish it had a Hogue stock on it. Just don't like the feel of the plastic. It is very accurate though.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 596 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 3113

I bought the 30-06 version late last year. I haven't fired it a lot. But It shoots pretty straight. I mounted a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff with BDC retical.
Did I mention that I like it!?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I like the synthetic stock on this rifle. Ruger did a good job designing it and it fits me very well. I have about 300 rounds fired out of it now and it is shooting great. What really shines on the rifle is the trigger, all rifles should have a trigger like this from the factory.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I shot the full size 22LR at my range, one of the many 22's they rent with 50 round on the house and you can shoot your only ammo for as long as you want for the $10 rental fee...until some one asks for a turn that is!!
I liked it very much! It was smooth and jammed not one time in 200 Rounds of different speed/weight of bullets all inside of 2" at 25 yards, and trust me with my bad shoulders and back gaining me tremors after an hour,..so that's a good rifle right there!! I esp Loved the modular stocks,..and any stock extension will work on either model,...I'm glad they put that stock on the 50 th Anniversary10/22, even though the MSRP is a bit steep at $379.95,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What kind of accuracy are you able to wring out of it? I'm thinking about picking up the compact version. I noticed the stock felt better than my american centerfire. Congratulations on the new rifle.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #7

Liked 464 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Been looking at one, either 270 or 308. Not too crazy about the detailing on the composite stock, but if it shoots well, I can learn to live with it.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I have the compact one and it's not a target rifle, and I'm no marksman. But I can hit 3" metal targets at 150 yards no problem. I use a scope 3-9x40 bushnell with weaver #12 mounts. The compact stock fits me very well and I like the short barrel. It's a working mans gun that shoots very well. I like it so much I ordered one in 22mag as well.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Back at the range today testing out different ammo. This rifle loves remington thunderbolts, it shoots it very well. Also ordered a set of tech sights and taking off the scope. I much prefer open sights over a scope.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #10

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Back at the range today testing out different ammo. This rifle loves remington thunderbolts, it shoots it very well. Also ordered a set of tech sights and taking off the scope. I much prefer open sights over a scope.
Wow. That's interesting. What else have you fed it?