Ruger 77/22 bolt actions. Are they any good?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 77/22 bolt actions. Are they any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 24

Default Ruger 77/22 bolt actions. Are they any good?

A LGS has one with a 4x scope combo at a nice price and temptation calleth. Anybody have experience with this rifle? They take the same mages as the 10/22, right?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've shot one in .17HMR, they're great little rifles. They are well balanced, accurate, and point easily. The one I shot was finished in pepper laminate with the 'Target Stainless' metal work finish. Very nice

Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #3

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've got one in 22Magnum with laminate stock and what's called "All Weather" which makes it look like a satin stainless, with a Jard 1-1/2# trigger, and while it's a little heavy for a rimfire, to act like it's big centerfire brothers, which it was designed after, I find it to be very capable and nice to shoot. They do cost a bit more over most rimfires, but you get a better put together rifle with tighter tolerances. The magazines interchange with the 10/22 rifles also--depending on it either being the long rifle or magnum model. You will find that the older models, before 2006/7(?) the barrels were V-Blocked, so you could interchange with other longer/shorter/bull barrels, while newer actions, you got the threaded barrel which will require gunsmith tools to change out, and the threaded barrels I've heard are giving a little more accuracy. They also have some heavy triggers, but if you change it out, you'll find the overall rifle to be extremely smooth.
Del

Old 09-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I own the 77 .22 in the LR version and it's the all weather. I like it very much. You will find the 10 .22 magazines do work after a fashion, but not too well. The correct magazines have a flat bottom, while the 10 .22 magazine are slightly rounded.