Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22's With No Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 10/22's With No Modifications

How many here leave their Ruger 10/22 as is from the factory, except for maybe adding a sling and/or scope? Just wondering. I bought a couple standard birch stocked 10/22's last week, (one for my son and one for me), added a sling to each rifle and thought I'd leave them just as they are now.

My thinking is to leave these rifles setup (as they are now) for the "CMP Rimfire Sporter 'O' Class" type competition just in case we'd ever get a chance to attend one of these type of matches.

We have .22 Rimfires that carry a sling, bi-pod, and scope, so we wanted to leave these 10/22's stock from the factory (aside from the sling) so we can practice the 'O' Class disciplines. I think these would be good rifles for the CMP Rimfire Sporter Competition.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

I own 2 of them. I just added a scope and left them alone. They are superb little rifles just the way they are out of the box. Their not a tac weapon or high power rifle. Their just a simple, tough, accurate, little .22 that's more fun than the law should allow! Why mess with it?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've not had a factory stock 10/22 for a LONG time. You can improve them so much in areas such as the trigger that it makes no sense to ME to leave them stock. I can understand leaving them stock to comply with match rules but they can be made to shoot so much better than as they come out of box. They're even more fun when they're tackdrivers (exceedingly accurate) in my opinion-especially in these days of 8 pound factory triggers.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have one that's all stock save for a sling and I use it for camping and hiking a lot. I would be open to tuning that heavy trigger though. Ideas?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If anybody ever needs trigger work professionally done-here's my link-at substantial savings over aftermarkt parts too!
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/ruger-10-22-trigger-groups-professionally-reworked-19201/

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default CMP Rimfire Program

That is a great program IMO. It's sort of what IPSC was long ago when it first started, only for 22 rim fire rifles. having said that...

The 10/22 that I wrote up on my blog was something else to shoot, and not in a good way. teaching some kid to shoot with a God aweful trigger is one of the best ways that I know of to turn them off from shooting. The rifle that I sent the trigger group to was set around eight pounds, and gritty as... Well? A bowl of under cooked grits! If CMP would allow,within the current restrictions, a few of the more common modifications; trigger group work, barrel lapping, and add another five seconds to the rapid fire portions for single shot rifles I could really get behind them!

Now, it just so happens that I love 10/22's. But, with the restrictions involved in CMP shoots are they are now? I'd say go with a medium end Marlin bolt gun!Yes, it will cost a bit more than a 10/22 on sale, but it will be money well spent. You can shoot CMP, and NRA three position with one as well.

Shoot Straight & Be Safe!

Sua Sponte!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #7

Ive only got one and it's still the exact same as it was when it came out of the box, and I plan to leave it that way. I do plan on buying two more though, one to turn into a tack driver(bull barrel, new stock, scope, reworked trigger,etc.), and one to convert to a .17 March2 with all the same upgrades as the other.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #8

I do think if we were within 130 miles of Camp Perry instead of 1300 miles, we might have the trigger's reworked, but for now we're pretty much on an even playing field out here where we live with the other local rimfire shooters that meet once a month (March through October) at our local range.

We did get out to shoot these rifles yesterday though we didn't shoot long. It was raining, then turned to snow, and of course high winds. All we really got done was to make sure the rifles cycled well with no failures, and the magazines fed ammo with no trouble. Everything worked fine.

One thing I found out is that I'm not a big fan of the rear sight. I don't care for the white diamond below the notch so I'll be blacking mine out. My son on the other hand thought that was great so we'll leave his alone.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #9

Last night I order a couple TSR200 Aperture Tech-Sights for our 10/22's. I know, I wasn't going to do any mods to these aside from the sling, but I need a sight picture that works for me and one I'm familiar with. I don't want to scope these rifles. We have plenty of scoped .22's already. The Aperture Sights and Scopes are both classed as "T" (Target) in the CMP rules.

I might add that the ajustment tools are quite reasonably priced. I picked them up as well when I ordered the TSR200's.

I would have went with the TSR100 Aperture Sights, but they are set up for 50 and 100 yards, though you can order a taller front post to bring this setup up to 25 yard usage. The TRS200 includes the taller front post in it's package so it seemed the one to go with.

Now if we can just get some decent weather once they arrive.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I had a stock 10/22, but I sent the trigger out to bear today.