Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 vs. Marlin .22 Semi Auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Default Ruger 10/22 vs. Marlin .22 Semi Auto

I am in the market for a .22 semi auto and I know that time and the aftermarket love the Ruger 10/22. But I saw the Marlin and I like its more conventional mag and price point.

Anyone have expeience with these two rifles and how they compare to each other?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm new to guns, have maybe three weeks shooting and I've been using the ruger 10/22 my brother owns and the gun shoots great. The only thing I am not fond of is the trigger. When I asked my brother if he preferred the model 60 over this one his answer was "yes, because I would have saved money for better optics and the difference wouldn't have been that great."

Again, we really are not at the level of customizing our own guns as I know the ruger has massive potential for that. Maybe a year down the road he will change his mind about it.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1105 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Out of the box I would take a marlin hands down. Nice triggers they shoot very well. If you eventually want to spend money and customize a 10/22. Look for a used one. Both shoot good and are good rifles but my vote is for a marlin

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
big shrek Likes This 
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #4

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If the mag is your only issue then buy an aftermarket mag. I am a little biased towards ruger and would go with a ruger before even looking at a marlin. Dont get me wrong i have a marlin 22mag and its a great gun, but i wish it was a ruger

Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #5

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

And if you're concerned about price then buy a used 10/22 and imo will still be better than an off the shelf marlin.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Ruger 10/22 with the ruger bx25 round mags and a butler creek speed loader. No question the 10/22 is better in my book.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #7

Liked 2370 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

i don't own either , but i have shot both a few times now.

i think they're both very good guns, and i doubt you'd be disappointed with either.

in my expereince, i think the marlin 60 might be more accurate....but this is limited expereince. but the marlin i shoot is a tack driver so far. but personally, i dislike the marlin 60 tube magazine and greatly prefer the detachable mags of the 10/22. i also dislike the fact that it is a pain to even just put a sling on the marlin 60.

if i were to buy one, it would depend on what i wanted to do with it.

if i wanted to deck it out and experiment with it, it would be the ruger 10/22. it just has so many options & accessories available. just look around at all the crazy things you can do with this gun.

if i just kept it stock, the marlin would be good. but there is very little after market support for this gun. in my experience, it shoots very well though.

if i chose 1 right now, i would go with the 10/22 for the accessories and the detachable mags.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Can't go wrong with either. Marlin is probably more accurate. The ruger is not inaccurate however. As mentioned the Marlin is harder to accessories. Even a sling is more difficult to add but can be done. As far as magazine quality Ruger wins hands down. I have a marlin 60. It's a tube fed not magazine bet have had experience with the marlin magazine guns. Not bad but not the same as the ruger. It all depends on what you want to do with the gun. Guns are like tools. You don't reach for a hammer when you need a screw driver. You wont be disappointed with either. What's your intention for the gun?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

This rifle is mostly target shooting. There is a nice rimfire range where I shoot with steel targets.

I also intend to get the kids started on this. My oldest will be 6 this month and I think he is almost mature enough to learn.

I am leaning toward the 10/22. Any gun with that much aftermarket support has to be a winner. Even though I would love to upgrade with aftermarket parts I probably won't because of the kids. Besides, I have an AR for that.

I do like the bullpup stock though. That looks like a lot of fun.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default new .22

There are more after market accessories for the 10-22.That being said.I have 2 10-22 and 2 Marlins model 60's. The Marlins is more accurate out of the box than the Rugers. In order to get the Rugers to shoot better,swap out the barrel and change the trigger mechanisim. My go to gun has and will be the Marlin 60,you do not have to do anything to it for it shoots great right from the box.

My Rugers are for sale... anybody interested..978-424-7024 Cliff