Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Ruger 10/22 vs Henry Lever Action or Golden Boy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-vs-henry-lever-action-golden-boy-32568/)

Alex2455 10-03-2010 10:12 PM

Ruger 10/22 vs Henry Lever Action or Golden Boy

The title says it all. I'm 14, going to get my first .22 in two weeks and as of yet undecided. Both rifles seem great, but I'd like to know more about the pros and cons of the guns before I buy one. Anyone who has a Henry or Ruger, pics are always appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Alex

skullcrusher 10-03-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex2455 (Post 362237)
The title says it all. I'm 14, going to get my first .22 in two weeks and as of yet undecided. Both rifles seem great, but I'd like to know more about the pros and cons of the guns before I buy one. Anyone who has a Henry or Ruger, pics are always appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Alex

You are talking about two very different rifles.

10/22: Very affordable semi-auto. More aftermarket stuff than any other gun I can think of. Good out of the box, but with Stalkingbear's trigger work and floating the barrel, it becomes a very good shooter.

Henry: Pricey lever action, but great out of the box as is. Much better looking than any semi-auto in my opinion. No aftermarket stuff needed.

VitSports6 10-03-2010 10:26 PM

I bought a Henry Youth Lever Action for my 7 year old son, I like it, Its fun to shoot and seems to be quite accurate, I have shot 10-22's, Both have their plus's and minus's the 10-22 is a point and shoot, Fun but for what I needed I wanted my son to learn to shoot rather than spray and prey, With the Lever Action its a little more interactive, I like Henry's but I think a Golden Boy is a tad on the pricey side for a .22.
Side note I just picked up a Mossberg 802 Plinkster .22 for my daughter in Pink <--- seen there.
Good luck!

Hunt SD 10-03-2010 11:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pic of a golden boy and a US shooting team 10/22. Everyone needs a 10/22 so I say get one instead of a Henry.

aandabooks 10-04-2010 12:55 AM

Personnally, I would go with the Henry. Classic looking rifle and you won't have to spend any money to turn it into anything else. Never been a real fan of the 10/22. Buddy had one years ago and the best part about it was loading up the 30 rd mags and seeing how fast we could empty them. Does not promote good shooting habits.

Alex2455 10-04-2010 08:31 PM

Henry

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 362321)
Personnally, I would go with the Henry. Classic looking rifle and you won't have to spend any money to turn it into anything else. Never been a real fan of the 10/22. Buddy had one years ago and the best part about it was loading up the 30 rd mags and seeing how fast we could empty them. Does not promote good shooting habits.

I think I'm leaning towards the Henry. Just seems much more fun to work the lever instead of just pulling the trigger.

Inexpensive optics and accessories?

99z28monster 10-04-2010 10:27 PM

I would go with the Henry I have own the 22lr, 22wmr and 22lr golden boy. Out of the 3 the golden boy was the most accurate but I believe that is because it balanced better and had better sites. Don't get me wrong the regular henrys shot really well also. A great out of the box gun and great looking as well. My experience with the 10/22 is pretty much fill up a 30 round clip and shoot as fast as I could.

diggsbakes 10-05-2010 02:47 AM

I've had nearly every popular .22 cal rifle you could think of and love(d) them all, some more than others, but recently I purchased a New Henry Lever Action. . . I LOVE IT! Almost more than I did ANY of my .22s the first go around in my childhood.

I vote for HENRY!!! Not only will it help you develop marksmanship, but working the action also teaches the hand-eye coordination required for shooting ANY gun with skill.

Have Fun!

od green 10-05-2010 02:59 AM

I own three Henry's the h001 and h001m and the survival . The H001 is my youngest son's rifle and is my go to gun . This rifle has taken more crap than I can throw at it as it's my truck/tractor gun and sorta beat up , if you want a 50 or 75 yard and occasional 100 yard shot this really is what you want !!! The H001 will go Bang every time you pull the trigger . You can load 15 , 22lr or I think 17 , 22 long and I know you can load 21 , 22 shorts. The action is deff butter smooth and rapid / follow up shots if you need them are fast as you don't loose cheek wield to cycle the action, you can cycle the lever with 2 lower fingers .All my Henry' s have outstanding wood . As far as optic's a Daisy power line 3x9 I have on the H001 or Bushnell 3x9 dusk to dawn I have on the H001M will do you good and both are inexpensive I think you would really enjoy a Henry !!! I know I do .

ScottA 10-05-2010 03:23 AM

Two very different guns.

The 10/22 is the standard for .22 semi-autos. Buy if you want an accurate plinker.

Now the Henry... buy it if you want a good plinker, and want to look really good doing it.