Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 Takedown, Sling installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1703 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5188

Default Ruger 10/22 Takedown, Sling installation

Thought I'd take a moment and share my experience with installing the QD's for a sling on the Ruger 10/22 TakeDown. I've read a lot of threads on using epoxy, trying to remove the butt plate, and other gymnastics. I couldn't understand why the proper hole in the synthetic stock, with a wood screw style QD mount wouldn't work.

Haven't got a lot of time on mine, but I used a drill that matched the shank size of the threaded wood screw. It fit nicely, with careful pressure, it started straight, and seated firmly.

The Barrel Band QD was an easy installation. Remove the screw, leaving the nut in place. Place the screw through the flat end of the QD mount and reattach screw.

GTSW-27
Ruger Carbines, Auto & Single Shot
Packaged with both fore end adaptor to fit 10/22, .44 Mag. and No. 3 carbines and 1/2" wood screw suitable for fore end stock mounting. Also includes 3/4" wood screw swivel stud rear and one pair GT Locking Swivels.

GTSW-27 - 1" Loop - Black-Oxide Finish
GTSW-28 - 1" Loop - Satin Nickel Finish

More info at
http://www.grovtec.com/products_rifles.php

I have a extra QD with threads for future use (maybe just the parts box).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #2

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I feel that sling on a take down model is sort of a oxymoron . Buy a normal rifle and sling it or shove the packer in a pack and pull only when needed.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I feel that sling on a take down model is sort of a oxymoron . Buy a normal rifle and sling it or shove the packer in a pack and pull only when needed.
QD's make it easy enough. This is my current 'walk the property' rifle.

I'll see about adding (2) more 10/22's . One with a sling, and another takedown without a sling.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bought a 10/22 Takedown a few month ago and really like it. I bought the laser to go on it and attached a light to the side rail on the laser. I keep it by my bed at night. A bright light in the face with a red dot centered and 25 hollow points is a lot of deterrent. The little gun is a great shooter especially after I dropped in a Timney Trigger. I'm hearing a lot of folks say a 22 just isn't enough for self defense, but I killed my first deer with a 22 over 50 years ago and deer are tougher that bad people. I'm Just Sayin'!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Point is the OP's is a take down model? No sling should be needed on any take down model unless your fly'n a 45/70 lever gun to Alaska for a bear hunt and then is not needed but it packs for the air flight a little more compact. . Buy a one piece 10/22 and sling away. Then look at Boonie Packers Safari Sling for a walk and stalk at the ready hunters sling. Nothing better.

KG7IL I started using QD swivels some 25 or more years ago. Easier to transport with no swivels or sling in a rife case. The sling mentioned above rolls up into a tight ball too.

2OLDGUNGUY Pissed off buck or meth head with a knife. Which ones badder?? huummm. Give me a 25 round ruger mag of cci mini mags in that 10/22 !! ha

Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Point is the OP's is a take down model? No sling should be needed on any take down model unless your fly'n a 45/70 lever gun to Alaska for a bear hunt and then is not needed but it packs for the air flight a little more compact. . Buy a one piece 10/22 and sling away. Then look at Boonie Packers Safari Sling for a walk and stalk at the ready hunters sling. Nothing better.
Strong Opinion there hardluk... My use case differs.
I wanted the Take-Down because of that very feature. But it stays Put-Up most of the time. I can take a walk with the dogs, have a cup of coffee, smoke the pipe and carry the dogs remote control.

It works well for me. Please don't let it be a source of personal irritation. It's just a sling on a take-down rifle. Heck, I have even thought of a QD scope .... maybe. Maybe a rail for a 400 lumen light. Possibly. Laser.. could happen.

It's my current varmint gun. Target Species for the Varmints are Chickens, Geese, Ducks, Goats, Cat. My Target Species are the Varmints, Coons, Coyotes, and killer moles.

A gun handy is important.

When I go Jeeping, or store it in the Motor Home, it stores nicely and discretely.

So.... TakeDown is just another feature for a firearm. it doesn't define it.

My OP was really more about the installation on a synthetic stock and a cheaper source of parts. I'll be doing one on my brother's 10/22 Not a take down, but it does have the synthetic Stock.

Slings are great. Here is one on my Super BlackHawk.
superblackhawkbarrelmountqd.jpg  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2753 Times on 1895 Posts
Likes Given: 558

The Sling is an Imp. Part of Marksmanship. It's taught at Appleseed Events every weekend of the year...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19799 Times on 11240 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

IMO, with having the QD sling swivels, it really doesn't impede the use of it being a take-down model at all. simply remove the sling when taking it apart and storing it. replace the sling when together and walking around with the rifle.

easy, peasy!

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
The Sling is an Imp. Part of Marksmanship. It's taught at Appleseed Events every weekend of the year.
Agreed. I seldom do that however. I think my ancient Jack O'Connor gun book covers slings for stabilizing the firearm.

I'm just liking the fact it hangs on my back. Very light.

I have a bolt action that has a very nice loop / hasty, and that makes sense to me.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19799 Times on 11240 Posts
Likes Given: 49898

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Agreed. I seldom do that however. I think my ancient Jack O'Connor gun book covers slings for stabilizing the firearm.

I'm just liking the fact it hangs on my back. Very light.

I have a bolt action that has a very nice loop / hasty, and that makes sense to me.
i have slings for just about every rifle i own. most are not even on the rifles, but i have them if ever find the need for them. even some of my shotguns have swivels and slings as well.
KG7IL Likes This