Ruger 10/22 Takedown Models
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 Takedown Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Ruger 10/22 Takedown Models

This gun has been on my list for a while but for whatever reason keeps getting skipped. My LGS has a couple in stock. Black stock SS barrel $345 and the NRA Edition for $425. Neither of those prices will be my price. Haven't negotiated yet but safe to assume at least 10% off.

Which one? Not completely sold on another 10/22 but since Savage doesn't make something similiar.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Nobody has an opinion on this decision?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 70 Posts

Default Ruger 10/22 Takedown Models

What's the difference in the two models? If the NRA version just has a few cosmetic changes, I'd go with the cheaper black/ss version.

Cash is king.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5694 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 379

i believe there is a threaded barrel version.

but between the two you list get the black stock stainless one. ive got about 2k through mine before the ammo crunch the TD is the best version of the 10/22 out there.

savage makes a fabulous bolt gun in the mark2. its a wonderful bolt gun especially if you get the http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR it cycles short cb long longrifle with no issues. just a great bolt gun and i shoot mine regularly since getting shorts and longs hasnt been difficult

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-08-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #5

Liked 177 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Get the SS/Black, that is what I have. Have run many rounds though it & very little trouble, will eat every type ammo I feed it. Only thing I do not like are the sights , will be ordering a Williams ACE IN THE HOLE peep sight with fiber optic front post. When you do pick yours up, the BX-25 OR BX-25x2 mags run great, no problem there either. I use the rifle as my Jeep gun . Hope this helps

Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Liked 1740 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I changed the sights and magazine release on mine. You're going to have some fun getting the front sight off. I use a magazine loader. The clear plastic magazines make it easy to see which ones have how many rounds in them. My sling is attached at the forearm and the heel of the 'pistol grip', not the butt. I use it as a 'hasty'. For some people, the weaker sub-sonic target ammo doesn't cycle. I don't know myself, I save the slow stuff for the bolt action (Savage MkII TR). If your ground is soft, hits on the metal 'walking' targets tend to dig them into the ground instead of making them flip away. I now shoot at one of those orange balls. It rolls further and further away with every hit. I can get up to 70 yards before I miss more than I hit. I like to think that's about the limit of the cheap plinking ammo, but it's probably the limit of my iron sight accuracy. I use it standing, sitting and prone. Kneeling hurts my feet.

$425-325=$80. Unless you're a collector, use the $80 for the sight. I have the rear sight on the receiver, not the barrel.

I keep everything I need, rifle, ammo, loader, magazines, cleaning stuff, etc., in the bag. I colored the red phoenix black with a Sharpie. The ball stays in the car. It's very easy to grab the bag and make a quick trip to the range. It is SO much fun.

Last edited by Vincine; 05-08-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The only real difference besides cosmetics seems to be the sights. The NRA edition has fiber optic front and rear sight. I think they are Williams Fire Sights.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3178 Times on 2158 Posts
Likes Given: 695

I would get the least expensive TD model you can find, and add your own sights. When I see the TD for under $300., I will then jump, but meanwhile, if I can't find a less expensive one, I can get a single piece one in Grey Digital Camo, and use it until I have the $$ for the stock setup I want. I see at least 6 -12 on sale used at every Gun show I have been to so far.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 638

I also vote for the non-NRA version, because right now, I'm pissed at the NRA. Besides, having organizations or companies "endorse" products is dumb.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.