Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Which Ruger 10/22 should I get? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-should-i-get-81879/)

RedBengal 01-20-2013 12:26 AM

Which Ruger 10/22 should I get?

Hey guys,

I'm a bit new to shooting and thought I'd ask for some help here. I'd like to get a 10/22 for target shooting and to build out. They just look like a lot of fun. I know there are many versions of them. Any recommendations?

The Takedown looks like fun, but I didn't know if they were harder to customize because aren't they built differently? Are there as many options for them? Or am I better off starting with a different model.

I know the Takedown is hard to find, but I'm not in a hurry to get one. I can be patient.

Thanks for any feedback.

HOSSFLY 01-20-2013 12:41 AM

IMO i'd say start with the mininum basic-
More fun to start & go from there- Skys the limit :cool:

mb315 01-20-2013 02:41 AM

I have a takedown and honestly couldn't be happier. I have a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 on it, and am going to put on an auto bolt release. I also have a butler creek 25 round magazine that i use and i love it. I don't know what all you plan on doing with yours, but I can tell you it is a very nice unit and I love the fact that it comes with a bag that I can store EVERYTHING in. Also it is very easy to clean the barrel (being that it is a separate piece) and the action pops right out to clean with just undoing a screw. Hope this helps.

cgersty 01-20-2013 02:53 AM

I don't own a ruger yet, but if I did and planned on modding it to the gills I would start with a base model wooden stick one, no sense buying a top of the line stocked one if your gonna change everything out anyways. Just my 02 cents

X-Raycer 01-20-2013 04:42 AM

I agree with HOSS & cgersty.
I have two, both base carbines.
One that I "fixed" the way I wanted.
It hits 5 shots in 1/4" all day, everyday.
The other for beating branches.

If your intent is to Mod it, start with cheapest model you can find.
Good luck finding ANY in today's market.

dwmiller 01-20-2013 06:21 PM

6 diffrent 10/22's here. I have the takedown with a butler creek folding stock, threaded barrel, scope, trigger group, auto bolt release and more. Great gun, fits in a briefcase for stealth and shoots great.

Get what you want, not what everyone else thinks you should have. Just my two cents worth.

John_Deer 01-21-2013 12:28 AM

I have a stainless 10/22. I put a wilson combat buffer in it. I have a 4x fixed power Simmons scope on it. I never did anything to the trigger. A trigger upgrade would be useful if I was a target shooter. I shoot critters and steel with my 10/22. I have no problems popping a squirrel or a rabbit in the head with the stock trigger.

junkguy 01-21-2013 12:41 AM

I had no interest in building and/or modifying a 10/22 so I got a Sports South exclusive model--it is all stainless with a full length black/grey Mannlicher laminated stock--this rifle is drop dead beautiful & shoots sub 1" groups @ 100 yards--has a BSA 3-9x40 scope on it with high mount rings to also use the open sights--I have exactly what I wanted in a 10/22

RedBengal 01-21-2013 01:55 AM

How much can you mod a Takedown? I'm assuming you can't use standard 10/22 stocks and barrels because of it's unique build. Am I right?

Thanks.

TexasRog 01-21-2013 02:04 AM

DO NOT rule out a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. I bought one and love it. It's very light, comes with a 25rd mag and is accurate as you are. It has a threaded barrel and you can apply for a permit for silencer. Operates just like my AR and I have added a red laser, scope and flashlight. Comes with a flash suppressor, If ur buyin on the cheap...nothing wrong with that..mossberg sells a tactical rifle too. Colt sells one too.