Ruger 10/22 or S&W M&P 15-22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 or S&W M&P 15-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Default Ruger 10/22 or S&W M&P 15-22

I'm looking to buy a .22 rifle and am torn between the two. I just basically want one because they r cheap to shoot and can have boatloads of ammo on hand. Lol. Which one would be the better to choose. I like the tactical look, but I've heard the ruger 10/22 is more accurate. Any help would be highly appreciated. And I also don't want to spend any more than 400-450.00. I want something thats good for long range and close range. I will soon be looking to go to outdoor ranges and can't afford an Ak or AR. Thanks.

spit hell fire

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Funny. I just seen the thread about the same thing right underneath this one I just started. Lol. Sorry.

spit hell fire

Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have no experience with the S&W M&P 22 but I own a 10/22 as well as the pistol version, Charger 10/22. I love them both. The 10/22 rifle has been around and a top seller for over 50 years. I must have close to 10,000 rounds through mine. Both my daughters learned to shoot with mine and I learned how to shoot with one my Dad owned close to 45 years ago.

No need to even spend the $400 to $500 you mentioned as the 10/22 can be bought around $200 if you shop around. Can pick up a good used one even cheaper.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteglock View Post
I'm looking to buy a .22 rifle and am torn between the two. I just basically want one because they r cheap to shoot and can have boatloads of ammo on hand. Lol. Which one would be the better to choose. I like the tactical look, but I've heard the ruger 10/22 is more accurate. Any help would be highly appreciated. And I also don't want to spend any more than 400-450.00. I want something thats good for long range and close range. I will soon be looking to go to outdoor ranges and can't afford an Ak or AR. Thanks.
I'm looking at the same choices. My understanding is the 10/22 would require a lot of work for long range shooting, a real challenge with a .22LR round just by itself. At least as compared to other 'out of the box' .22LRs. Don't know much about the M&P 15/22 for distance. I'm looking at it as a 'trainer' to familiarize myself with the AR platform, but I don't really know how closely M&P 15/22 mimics it. Both are reputed to have a very high fun to shoot index which maybe all one should expect.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a 10/22 that is tweaked, My nephew has a stock one, and my bud has the M&P 15/22.

long range shooting is kind of subjective.
out to 50yds we can't tell the difference between the stock and the M&P.
at 100 yds both had to use a LARGE bulls eye just to be able to get onto a target with out a scope.
the M&P had a slightly tighter group when the same shooter worked each of the two stock weapons. My tweaked 10/22 had the tightest group of less than 4 inches (was expected), the M&P was out to 8 and the Stock 10/22 was right near 11. We used a piece of notebook paper to measure so all sizes are very approximate.

as for functionality with bulk ammunition, the M&P had fewer issues (FTF, FTE, etc) than the stock 10/22

Of course add-ons are more abundant with the 10/22 than this M&P right now. That may change of course. butMy Buds M&P needs a Picatany rail to be able to mount a scope, the 10/22 is pre-drilled (albiet cheaply)

hope this helps in your decision.

Curlyjoe

Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 771

If you put a 10/22 and an M&P 15-22 on a table and and gave 10 shooters 500 rounds, I guarantee you that everyone would be waiting on shooting the M&P. Whenever I take mine to shoots, it is the gun everyone wants to get their hands on. But that's not what sold me on it. When I saw how easy it was to breakdown and clean, I immediately switched from looking at a Model 60 or a 10/22.

My M&P 15-22 is accurate, very easy to maintain, high capacity, and can be accessorized with any AR after-market toys. It's just an all around fantastic 22 and gets the most exercise of anything in my safe. I can't say enough good things about it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Was shooting my ruger 10/22 takedown this weekend had two bx 25 mags. Both magazines are currently non functional after about 700 rounds. Im not sure what the exact issue is yet. I was using a butler creek mag loader which does occasionally dent the rounds as they are being loaded.

I will do a side by side accuracy test this weekend. Both guns like the cci blazer. I will do 25 rounds at 100yds open sights each gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
If you put a 10/22 and an M&P 15-22 on a table and and gave 10 shooters 500 rounds, I guarantee you that everyone would be waiting on shooting the M&P. Whenever I take mine to shoots, it is the gun everyone wants to get their hands on. But that's not what sold me on it. When I saw how easy it was to breakdown and clean, I immediately switched from looking at a Model 60 or a 10/22.
My M&P 15-22 is accurate, very easy to maintain, high capacity, and can be accessorized with any AR after-market toys. It's just an all around fantastic 22 and gets the most exercise of anything in my safe. I can't say enough good things about it.
Thank you for this.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #9

I have both the Ruger 10-22 and S&W. Both are a blast to shoot. Easily put a thousand rounds down range in a single day. I personally like the Ruger for hunting small animals that pester the farm. The S&W is great for anything though. Both have millions of after market attachments. Hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99
I have a 10/22 that is tweaked, My nephew has a stock one, and my bud has the M&P 15/22.

long range shooting is kind of subjective.
out to 50yds we can't tell the difference between the stock and the M&P.
at 100 yds both had to use a LARGE bulls eye just to be able to get onto a target with out a scope.
the M&P had a slightly tighter group when the same shooter worked each of the two stock weapons. My tweaked 10/22 had the tightest group of less than 4 inches (was expected), the M&P was out to 8 and the Stock 10/22 was right near 11. We used a piece of notebook paper to measure so all sizes are very approximate.

as for functionality with bulk ammunition, the M&P had fewer issues (FTF, FTE, etc) than the stock 10/22

Of course add-ons are more abundant with the 10/22 than this M&P right now. That may change of course. butMy Buds M&P needs a Picatany rail to be able to mount a scope, the 10/22 is pre-drilled (albiet cheaply)

hope this helps in your decision.

Curlyjoe
Thank you curlyjoe

spit hell fire