Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Ruger 10/22 or S&W M&P 15-22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-s-w-m-p-15-22-a-68768/)

niteglock 07-23-2012 10:34 AM

Ruger 10/22 or S&W M&P 15-22

I'm looking to buy a .22 rifle and am torn between the two. I just basically want one because they r cheap to shoot and can have boatloads of ammo on hand. Lol. Which one would be the better to choose. I like the tactical look, but I've heard the ruger 10/22 is more accurate. Any help would be highly appreciated. And I also don't want to spend any more than 400-450.00. I want something thats good for long range and close range. I will soon be looking to go to outdoor ranges and can't afford an Ak or AR. Thanks.

niteglock 07-23-2012 10:35 AM

Funny. I just seen the thread about the same thing right underneath this one I just started. Lol. Sorry.

KeysKelly 07-23-2012 10:44 AM

I have no experience with the S&W M&P 22 but I own a 10/22 as well as the pistol version, Charger 10/22. I love them both. The 10/22 rifle has been around and a top seller for over 50 years. I must have close to 10,000 rounds through mine. Both my daughters learned to shoot with mine and I learned how to shoot with one my Dad owned close to 45 years ago.

No need to even spend the $400 to $500 you mentioned as the 10/22 can be bought around $200 if you shop around. Can pick up a good used one even cheaper.

Vincine 07-23-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niteglock (Post 879094)
I'm looking to buy a .22 rifle and am torn between the two. I just basically want one because they r cheap to shoot and can have boatloads of ammo on hand. Lol. Which one would be the better to choose. I like the tactical look, but I've heard the ruger 10/22 is more accurate. Any help would be highly appreciated. And I also don't want to spend any more than 400-450.00. I want something thats good for long range and close range. I will soon be looking to go to outdoor ranges and can't afford an Ak or AR. Thanks.

I'm looking at the same choices. My understanding is the 10/22 would require a lot of work for long range shooting, a real challenge with a .22LR round just by itself. At least as compared to other 'out of the box' .22LRs. Don't know much about the M&P 15/22 for distance. I'm looking at it as a 'trainer' to familiarize myself with the AR platform, but I don't really know how closely M&P 15/22 mimics it. Both are reputed to have a very high fun to shoot index which maybe all one should expect.

Curlyjoe_99 07-23-2012 12:37 PM

I have a 10/22 that is tweaked, My nephew has a stock one, and my bud has the M&P 15/22.

long range shooting is kind of subjective.
out to 50yds we can't tell the difference between the stock and the M&P.
at 100 yds both had to use a LARGE bulls eye just to be able to get onto a target with out a scope.
the M&P had a slightly tighter group when the same shooter worked each of the two stock weapons. My tweaked 10/22 had the tightest group of less than 4 inches (was expected), the M&P was out to 8 and the Stock 10/22 was right near 11. We used a piece of notebook paper to measure so all sizes are very approximate.

as for functionality with bulk ammunition, the M&P had fewer issues (FTF, FTE, etc) than the stock 10/22

Of course add-ons are more abundant with the 10/22 than this M&P right now. That may change of course. butMy Buds M&P needs a Picatany rail to be able to mount a scope, the 10/22 is pre-drilled (albiet cheaply)

hope this helps in your decision.

Curlyjoe

ScottA 07-23-2012 01:05 PM

If you put a 10/22 and an M&P 15-22 on a table and and gave 10 shooters 500 rounds, I guarantee you that everyone would be waiting on shooting the M&P. Whenever I take mine to shoots, it is the gun everyone wants to get their hands on. But that's not what sold me on it. When I saw how easy it was to breakdown and clean, I immediately switched from looking at a Model 60 or a 10/22.

My M&P 15-22 is accurate, very easy to maintain, high capacity, and can be accessorized with any AR after-market toys. It's just an all around fantastic 22 and gets the most exercise of anything in my safe. I can't say enough good things about it.

JonM 07-23-2012 01:23 PM

Was shooting my ruger 10/22 takedown this weekend had two bx 25 mags. Both magazines are currently non functional after about 700 rounds. Im not sure what the exact issue is yet. I was using a butler creek mag loader which does occasionally dent the rounds as they are being loaded.

I will do a side by side accuracy test this weekend. Both guns like the cci blazer. I will do 25 rounds at 100yds open sights each gun.

Vincine 07-23-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 879167)
If you put a 10/22 and an M&P 15-22 on a table and and gave 10 shooters 500 rounds, I guarantee you that everyone would be waiting on shooting the M&P. Whenever I take mine to shoots, it is the gun everyone wants to get their hands on. But that's not what sold me on it. When I saw how easy it was to breakdown and clean, I immediately switched from looking at a Model 60 or a 10/22.
My M&P 15-22 is accurate, very easy to maintain, high capacity, and can be accessorized with any AR after-market toys. It's just an all around fantastic 22 and gets the most exercise of anything in my safe. I can't say enough good things about it.

Thank you for this.

AvidShooter123 07-23-2012 04:54 PM

I have both the Ruger 10-22 and S&W. Both are a blast to shoot. Easily put a thousand rounds down range in a single day. I personally like the Ruger for hunting small animals that pester the farm. The S&W is great for anything though. Both have millions of after market attachments. Hope this helps.

niteglock 07-23-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99
I have a 10/22 that is tweaked, My nephew has a stock one, and my bud has the M&P 15/22.

long range shooting is kind of subjective.
out to 50yds we can't tell the difference between the stock and the M&P.
at 100 yds both had to use a LARGE bulls eye just to be able to get onto a target with out a scope.
the M&P had a slightly tighter group when the same shooter worked each of the two stock weapons. My tweaked 10/22 had the tightest group of less than 4 inches (was expected), the M&P was out to 8 and the Stock 10/22 was right near 11. We used a piece of notebook paper to measure so all sizes are very approximate.

as for functionality with bulk ammunition, the M&P had fewer issues (FTF, FTE, etc) than the stock 10/22

Of course add-ons are more abundant with the 10/22 than this M&P right now. That may change of course. butMy Buds M&P needs a Picatany rail to be able to mount a scope, the 10/22 is pre-drilled (albiet cheaply)

hope this helps in your decision.

Curlyjoe

Thank you curlyjoe