Ruger 10/22 peep sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 peep sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 10/22 peep sights

Hey there y'all. I'm starting this thread in the .22 rifle section to talk about iron sight upgrades for the Ruger 10/22 rifle. I have one such rifle with a scope, and just about everybody puts scopes on these guns, but I have a second Ruger that I'd like to set up with peep sights to use for .22 rifle matches at any distance from 50 feet to 50 yards, and target practice on bigger targets out to 100 yards.

I'm familiar with the Zephyr and Tech-Sight systems. I am about to order a set of Tech-Sights, but I think they will be a bit too big for the kind of precise shooting I'd like. I'm looking for the .22 equivalent of "National Match" sights, not standard military or field-grade hunting sights.

There's a company, Archer Airguns, that sells a nice match-grade rear sight assembley that looks like it will clamp onto a 3/8" dovetail scope rail or groove. I wonder what kind of front sight would be compatible with that rear? Of course the factory front sight would be too short, since it has bead sitting only about 16mm above the center of the bore, while this airgun rear sight will have the aperture (sighting hole) about 33 mm above the bore.

Any ideas? Comments? Who else is interested in setting up a Ruger 10/22 with some target style peeps?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My 10/22 has a Williams aperature sight that attaches via the two rearmost scope mount screws. I believe that it has a taller front sight blade to accomodate the Williams sight. It was set up that way when I got it in 1974. Works great.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #3

Default Nice

Yeah, that looks like a pretty nice set of sights. Thanks for posting the good close up photos.

The current version of the Williams 10/22 peep sight features a really big rear aperture, almost a "ghost ring" system, and the front sight has a fiber-optic bead that appears to glow. Good for plinking and hunting running rabbits.

Does anybody here have some other peep sights on their 10/22s? Would anybody be interested in buying a set if you could order it all from one company-- front sight, rear sight, all ready to stick on your Ruger?

Gun control isn't about guns. It's about CONTROL.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #4

I have been searching for a workable aperture sight system for a 10/22 for quite a while. I initially tried a Zephyr sight (made by Eagle, who I gather is in the process of going belly-up), and was totally unhappy with it. The "working parts" were plastic, and the adjustment mechanism was terrible. I took it off and threw it into the garbage where it belonged.

Next I tried a Williams WGRS receiver sight like the one posted above. It's pretty decent as far as the rear sight goes, although the adjustments, though secure, are pretty crummy. You have to loosen a tiny screw for either windage or elevation, slide the sight the appropriate direction, then re-tighten the screw. My biggest problem, however, is the front sight. It's a kind of gold bead jobbie on a sort of tapered blade. I shoot targets, I don't hunt, and would prefer a simple "square" blade with a flat top to promote a more precise 6:00 hold. The round bead is difficult to see under a round bullseye, although if you adjusted for a center hold it might not be too bad.

I just ordered a set of Tech Sights. I bought the TSR-100 style, not the TSR-200. I understand that the TSR-200 positions the rear aperture too high, and the front sight does not have sufficient vertical adjustment to compensate. I also chose to NOT use the A1 style front sight post, and will install an A2 sight post instead. The difference is that the A1 is a cylindrical post on a 5-click base, while the A2 is a square post on a 4-click base. The problem with a cylindrical sight post is that light coming from varying directions on the cylindrical shape can cause difficulty in distinguishing the post the same way, which causes variance in windage. The square sight post always is, well, "square" to the rear sight (which is why it has to have 4-clicks instead of 5).

I am out of town on business today, but I think my Tech Sights have been delivered and are waiting at home. I'll know how they work out this weekend.

BTW, I'm setting my 10/22 up as a stand-in training rifle for my M1 Garands, intending to shoot it at 50 yards.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:09 AM   #5

Default Pics

Okay, I received the Industry brand rear aperture sight from Archer Airguns. It's very tall, and I could not find a front sight to fit the standard-weight Ruger barrel that would stick up tall enough to be sighted-in at normal distances (20-100 yards). I finally put a Tech-Sight front sight unit on the rifle, and I screwed the front sight post way up high. So high that the detent locking collar is not useable, but the threads engage enough to keep it steady. I may use some lock-tite or crazy glue to hold it in place.

The rear sight is fully click-adjustable for elevation and windage, so I won't need to use the front sight for elevation, as I would with a Tech-Sight rear peep.

If I had a .920 heavy barreled Ruger, I'd use the Tech-Sight dovetail adapter unit (fits over 10/22 muzzle end). Then I could deal with the front sight this way with a Tech-Sight front sight tower and AR-15 style post. The front sight post could be screwed down the way it's supposed to be. Or I could use a Lyman globe-style front sight that stands .85 or .87 inches tall. That would fit into the Tech-Sight dovetail adapter unit, and it would be the right height for the Industry brand aperture sight.

Here are some pics. The stock on my 10/22 is an Advanced Technologies "fiberforce" dragunov style stock.

Gun control isn't about guns. It's about CONTROL.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #6

Default Continue Thread?

Gentlemen, has this thread been dropped or simply moved?

TPelle: How did those sights work out?

I am seriously considering the Appleseed training, but also recently "fell in love" with peep sights at a BSA range when trying them for the first time.

That said I'm looking for the best solution out there for me and came across this thread; but it seemed to end abruptly...

Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #7

Ruger 10/22 w/ TSR200 Aperature from Tech Sights and Advanced Technology RUG3000 Fiberforce Stock. I ran the TSR200 Aperature sights with the standard 10/22 wood stock and have no complaints. Either IMHO would make a good Appleseed Rifle.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #8

That's very cool! Thanks Joe!

Let me ask you; I found this post while searching:

G a r p Ruger 10/22 Peep Sight Roundup

I think I'm going to go with the TSR200, but what do guys think of this Williams Rear and Lyman Front combo he ends with?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #9

I feel a Williams Rear and Lyman Front combo would be a good setup.

However, I like the TSR200 setup because I can aquire my target quickly and still stay within acceptable accuracy
results from shot to shot that will (and does) get better the more a person practices with the TSR200 Aperture.

Aquiring your target quickly is where the TSR200 IMHO pays off if time is an issue in say a shooting event.

Joe
NRA, NMLRA

Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Please look at the date of the last post. this thread was long dead and forgotten.