Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Ruger 10/22 not cylcling live rounds (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-not-cylcling-live-rounds-84413/)

molonlabexx 02-17-2013 12:11 AM

Ruger 10/22 not cylcling live rounds

Hello,

I recently bought a Ruger 10/.22 and so far a pretty good rifle. I have not even fired one round from it but plan to do so soon. I like to get familiar with all my new guns and take them apart/ clean them (safely). In a safe environment (gun pointed to ground, safety on and finger no where near the trigger) I decided to load a full 10 round mag and just cycle the rounds to make sure everything is in working order. The rounds go into the chamber fine but they do not extract, only halfway out the chamber. Now if I take the magazine out, 1 round extracts fine. The ammo: CC blazers 40 grain round nose. I have a 10/.22 carbine. Like I said, I have not fired it. Now I know extractors are meant to extract cases only but still, it should be extracting the live rounds. I don't know if it has to do with momentum or anything. Like i said, when the 10 round rotary magazine is not in the rifle, 1 round extracts perfectly 2-3 feet. So I guess this means the extractor is working somewhat. The rifle is completely OEM. I would appreciate ANY input, I am a bit worried that my new rifle is not working. I also use it as my primary home defense weapon (now i know: never use a .22 for defense. Honestly guys the round gets less attribute than it deserves. No one wants to get shot with ANYTHING period.)

Spud9 02-17-2013 01:00 AM

If the bolt does not hit the bullet hard when it goes into battery the ejectors may not be gripping it properly due to lack of force. Try a dab of oil in the extractor, work it with your finger then put the mag in, pull back on the charging handle and let it fly. Pull back hard and let it fly again. Doing it slow sometimes does not allow for the extractor to catch the bullet. Best way to see if you have a problem is to fire the damn thing..... Let'er Rip!!!!

molonlabexx 02-17-2013 01:06 AM

Thanks! I tried to do it with force and no real luck. I oiled it with hoppes pretty good and the bolt slides better but the extractor still only works with the mag out.

X-Raycer 02-18-2013 05:05 AM

You are not providing enough force to operate the "Firing Sequence" properly.
Assuming it's a new gun, Take it out and shoot it.
You don't play baseball shuffling through some bubblegum cards.
Go shoot the gun...

Go do it. Then report back whether the gun operates as it is meant to or if you encounter any problems.

triggerjob 02-18-2013 08:17 AM

Did you "dry fire" it?, if so you probly raised a small burr on the breach face which is sngging tge cartriges of the extractor. Haveing the magazine in or out should have NO effect on the extractors ability to "extrac" unless the next round is riding TOO high and knocking the rim off the extractor. This seems pretty remote. I think what is happening is the ejector is fitted too long and it I knocking the back of the case before the bullet is clear of the chamber. So instead of flipping the cartige out as it should it just knocks it off the extractor. If this is the cause it won't happen when you actually shoot thegun because empty cases are shorter than loaded ones by the lengnth of the bullet. Also in "blowback" guns the extractor doesn't really extract anyway. The gases cause the actual "extraction" the purpose of the extractor in these guns is to hold the case up, so the ejector can hit it and knock it clear of the reciever. Blowback gun genrally will still function even if you completly remove the extractor.

In summary unless you dry fired the gun and dinged the chamber, it probly fine.

CrazedJava 02-18-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Raycer (Post 1142501)
You are not providing enough force to operate the "Firing Sequence" properly.
Assuming it's a new gun, Take it out and shoot it.
You don't play baseball shuffling through some bubblegum cards.
Go shoot the gun...

Go do it. Then report back whether the gun operates as it is meant to or if you encounter any problems.

Not to mention you are risking a negligent discharge.

Curlyjoe_99 02-20-2013 05:05 PM

If you have any fired shell casings you can manually insert one and then see if it hangs on eject with the mag in. But I would, if not already done, put a drop of oil on the extractor at the pivot point and hit the range with more than one type of round. I have a fully aftermarket 10/22 clone and it won't feed blazers. my factory one eats em all day

there are really three options,
shoot it and adjust as needed
return it
fully disassemble and measure and clean and polish every contact point of the rifle and the bolt and so on...

molonlabexx 02-20-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 (Post 1145849)
If you have any fired shell casings you can manually insert one and then see if it hangs on eject with the mag in. But I would, if not already done, put a drop of oil on the extractor at the pivot point and hit the range with more than one type of round. I have a fully aftermarket 10/22 clone and it won't feed blazers. my factory one eats em all day

there are really three options,
shoot it and adjust as needed
return it
fully disassemble and measure and clean and polish every contact point of the rifle and the bolt and so on...

Thank you for the advice. I will report back with my findings