Ruger 10/22 Modifications Help! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Ruger 10/22 Modifications Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2966 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 832

I have a 10-22 and have been using them since 1964. They are a good rifle but can use a couple of mods. 1st replace the recoil pin with a Delrin/nylon pin. It will buffer the bolt and quiet the action down some. The trigger needs help. There are people on the site that clean up the triggers for a fee or you could replace the trigger for $114 and up. The $114 Hornet S will work fine and gives you a bolt release. I have a Bushnell TRS25 3moa red dot on mine and it works great but dont expect tiny groups with a red dot. They are just too coarse. Bushnell makes a nice little shotgun scope under the Banner line. It is 1-4x32 with a circle x reticle. If you want the gun for hunting, dont waste your money on a lot of expensive "cool" mods. The rifle is very accurate with the standard barrel.
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-03-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There is nothing wrong with BSA scopes as long as it is a model with a one inch tube. Once you zero the scope in you can pop the knobs off and set them to zero. I have a 2.5x fixed power BSA that I have used on everything from my 10/22 to a 30/06, right now it's mounted on my slug gun.
"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Forget the Archangel kit as it will not make the rifle any more accurate, and if you are accurate you don't need to look "cool". Once you have all of the mods done to make it accurate then you can tacticool it out all you want.

Start with the recoil buffer pin. I made one for next to nothing using some vinyl aquarium tubing and a 20 penny nail or you can buy a Delrin one for $5.

The trigger can cost you some $$. I like my Kidd single-stage trigger group with the mag release I also have a Volquartsen and a couple of stock triggers that I have worked over myself. The Kidd is the best though.

The scope is important, keep your eyes open for a clearance sale and you can find a decent one for around $100. The more you spend though the better the glass. Many shooters will spend as much or more on a scope as they will on the rifle it is mounted on. It is money well spent. I would stay the Hell away from holographic or red dot sights/scopes. Those are not designed for hunting and they are not as accurate out on long shots as a telescopic scope with a cross-hair reticle of some kind. I would highly recommend a 2X9, 6X12 or something of that nature. Good out to and beyond 100 yards. In th emeantime the BSA will probably suffice for the time being, but once you have some good glass you will never mount the BSA again I bet.

Next I would probably either do the stock or the barrel. Personally I prefer a heavy barrel, again, its gonna cost some money for a good one. I am wanting to get a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber Tension Barrel

With the heavy barrel you will have to get a different stock to accommodate it- your Archangel may work with a heavy barrel but you would have to check. Personally I don't care for them though. My opinion is that if you want a "tactical" looking .22 rimfire then you would be better off getting the S&W M&P 15-22.

Just my thoughts on it. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!