Ruger 10/22 Modifications Help!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 Modifications Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Cha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Ruger 10/22 Modifications Help!

Hello Folks! I am new to this Forum hope to hear all of your suggestions and comments. I have resently purchase my first rifle which happends to be the Ruger 10/22. I am looking to buy the Archangel kit for my Ruger but also want to maintain a hunting purpose for this rifle. My quetion is, what are your thoughts on the Archangel kit?? after buying this kit what kind of sights should I put on it? I really want a holographic sight or a ACOG sight but don't want to spend that much money on it, again it is still only a .22. But remember the sights/scope have to be good for small game hunting aswell.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

There are tons of videos on YouTube reviewing the Archangel 10/22 stock.

I'm in the process of building a "tacticool" 10/22 and went with the Troy Industries T22 stock.

I can't offer anything on the optics. I really boils down to how much you want to invest.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #3

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
Hello Folks! I am new to this Forum hope to hear all of your suggestions and comments. I have resently purchase my first rifle which happends to be the Ruger 10/22. I am looking to buy the Archangel kit for my Ruger but also want to maintain a hunting purpose for this rifle. My quetion is, what are your thoughts on the Archangel kit?? after buying this kit what kind of sights should I put on it? I really want a holographic sight or a ACOG sight but don't want to spend that much money on it, again it is still only a .22. But remember the sights/scope have to be good for small game hunting aswell.
It's great for hunting right out of the box. The tacti-cool is just more weight and stuff to get snagged on brush. Without knowing what you are hunting it's a waste of bandwidth to recommend a scope.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1757 Times on 978 Posts
Likes Given: 5328

I'm thinking that maybe you oughta' try the rifle as-is for a while. Instead of money thrown at the 'cool stocks, sink it in the glass.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #5

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This probably isn't what you want to hear but while the Archangel kit can make for a cool range toy you are much better off with the standard stock for small game hunting. As far as sights, a good holographic or ACOG are going to cost more than you spent for the original rifle and IMO the cheap ones aren't worth the money.

Now some people spend lots of money modding 10/22s and that's half the fin for them, that why there's so many aftermarket parts for them so if you have your heart set on a full-out tactical 10/22 then go for it!

For a practical gun for hunting, plinking, and casual target practice I probably would not do more than put a decent scope on it (I'm partial to Nikon Prostaff scopes which run $100-150) and maybe an aftermarket trigger kit ($30-60)

Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Cha

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
There are tons of videos on YouTube reviewing the Archangel 10/22 stock.

I'm in the process of building a "tacticool" 10/22 and went with the Troy Industries T22 stock.

I can't offer anything on the optics. I really boils down to how much you want to invest.
Wow that is a SWEET looking kit too bad it is out of my price range hahaha, please let me know how that kit works out for you. I would love to see your finish product. On a honest scale I am only looking to spend 80$ tops on a optics.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Cha

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
It's great for hunting right out of the box. The tacti-cool is just more weight and stuff to get snagged on brush. Without knowing what you are hunting it's a waste of bandwidth to recommend a scope.
I would like to hunt for rabbits and squirrels, I currently have a very cheap BSA rimfire scope on it (I haven't zero it yet but am a bit sceptical about BSA brand) please any suggestion on optics will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Cha

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I'm thinking that maybe you oughta' try the rifle as-is for a while. Instead of money thrown at the 'cool stocks, sink it in the glass.
Thank you for the advice, I know with the regular stock will do me just fine but with a tunnel vision mentality I have already have my sights on the Archangel kit. I guess I should really step back and look into it more but as a person who grew up on video games and love the sport of paintball I am very influence on the tactical look

Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Cha

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
This probably isn't what you want to hear but while the Archangel kit can make for a cool range toy you are much better off with the standard stock for small game hunting. As far as sights, a good holographic or ACOG are going to cost more than you spent for the original rifle and IMO the cheap ones aren't worth the money.

Now some people spend lots of money modding 10/22s and that's half the fin for them, that why there's so many aftermarket parts for them so if you have your heart set on a full-out tactical 10/22 then go for it!

For a practical gun for hunting, plinking, and casual target practice I probably would not do more than put a decent scope on it (I'm partial to Nikon Prostaff scopes which run $100-150) and maybe an aftermarket trigger kit ($30-60)
Thank you for the help! now you got me really intrested in a trigger upgrade. What will you recommend and what kind of advantage i will gain from a aftermarket trigger??? ( again i am very green to firearms )

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #10

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha View Post
Thank you for the help! now you got me really intrested in a trigger upgrade. What will you recommend and what kind of advantage i will gain from a aftermarket trigger??? ( again i am very green to firearms )
A good trigger will not make your rifle more accurate, but, it will make it easier to shoot more accurately. Tackticool is ok for the range, but stay with a standard stock for hunting. JMHO.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks