Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > is a ruger 10-22 a good choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 40mm rings no such thing

The objective size has nothing to do with the size of the tube but it is the diameter of the front lens measured in millimeters. Most tubes I believe are one inch on a regular scope for hunting. Some of the smaller 22s have a smaller tube and rings to fit the small groves on the small rifles. Their are some scopes that may have an odd size tube but never will you see a 40 mm tube. That would be almost three inch diameter rings. and tubes are measured in the english inch measurments. The lenses are measured in millimeters. Don't ask me why they mix like that but that is what it is.

If the tube would measure the same as the objective lens your 40 mm objective lens scope would look like a piece of three inch pipe from front to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
THe numbers stand for the magnification of power, how many times it will magnify the object you are looking at, and what the objective size is. The objective size is how big around the tube that the light comes through is in size. The bigger the tube, the more light gets through, and the brighter the picture ( assuming glass quality to be the same.

Example: Leupold ( who is a very good scope company ) makes a VX-III 4.5 - 14 x 40 mm. This is an adjustable scope.

The 4.5 - is the minimum magnification setting. On the lowest setting, you will magnify the target 4.5 times what a person can see with a naked eye ( assuming clear conditions and good vision )

The 14 - is the Maximum magnification setting. On this setting, you will magnify the intended target by 14 times what a person can see with the naked eye.

There are several settings in between, which as their numbers indicate will be the level of magnification.

The 40mm - is the size of the objective tube. This is the main body of the scope. If you get a 40mm tube, you will need scope rings designed to hold it, so you will need 40mm scope rings to go with it.

Example: Leupold also makes a FX-I 4x28mm Fixed power riflescope. This is designed for rimfire models, like the Ruger 10-22.

The 4 - is the fixed power. No setting to change. Every time you look through the scope, you see four times what the naked eye can see.

The 28mm - is the size of the objective, the main body of the scope. You would need scope rings that would hold a 28mm body to mount this scope.

The higher the numbers, the greater the magnification, and usually the higher the cost.

Hope that helps -

JD

Old 07-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #22

Default 10/22

I have had a 10/22 for about 20 years. It is a great gun and has been superbly reliable. Like all Rugers, it is a little more difficult to clean than my Beretta & HK pistols, but not bad. It is also VERY tolerant of being used extensively without cleaning and continuing to function well.

The only problem I have had is it doesn't like feeding CCI Stinger rounds. Any .22 cartridge that has a rounded tip feeds fine. Maybe Ruger fixed this in later years, but the fix is simple for me, don't use Stingers there is plenty of ammunition out there. I use both the 10 round magazine that came with the rifle and a 25 round Hotlips magazine. Both feed great. Accuracy has been fine for my needs - plinking, squirrels, armadillos, training the granddaughter, etc.

I would buy another 10/22 in a heartbeat - especially a stainless/synthetic stock model.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #23

Ruger 10/22 for semiauto can't be beat as far as price and ease of maintenance and as far as accessories there is not one other maker that has as many aftermarket parts available for there .22 rifles

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #24

Well I love my Ruger 10/22. What a nice gun and it looks like something that I can eventually pass down to my son. Heres a pic. But I also love my mossberg plinkster for plinking it is very accurate. Just not alot of aftermarket parts for it.

Last edited by iloveguns; 06-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #25

Default 10/22

I have owned 2 10/22's and 2 Marlin 60's. both are good guns. The 10/22 I currently own is stock,has a Bushnell 3x5 scope mounted to it, and will shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with Remington Yellow Jacket ammo. The 60 I have will drive tacks consistently with any ammo I feed it.

I have found that the longer barrel of the 60 makes for greater accuracy, than the 10/22. However, I do agree that the 10/22 is capable of being modified to be as accurate as you want. As with any gun it comes down to personal preference. If you can try shooting the two before you decide to buy and then buy the one that feels better.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #26

I have one myself,a 10/22 ruger and this one will not be shot because I have been told it is worth more not shot.It is a Michigan edition 9/11 rifle,500 were made and I have #19.Franklin Mint did the carving of the twin towers,American flag and an eagle on the stock.It has a New York coin glued in the stock and the coin is a gold coin,with a saying not to forget to the fallen.I only payed $400.00 for it a year ago.I have a Marlin 60 and have not shot it yet.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #27

Default good gun

I have a 1022 that is stock except for the stock which is more of a military style with a pistol grip. Has a 3x9 scope. Barrel does have a muzzle break but that won't help with accuracy and a bolt buffer pin. This is the best squirrel gun I have ever had. Never anything but head shots. So it depends on what you want to do with your gun. There are so many things you can do to this gun you will have a ball. Mine loves the Remington gold hp's that you get cheap at most stores. A better trigger would really help on most of them I have tried. May try one myself. I try to keep mine as light as possible for hunting. I think you will enjoy the Ruger 1022.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #28

Likes Given: 2

how do you squirrel hunt with a 22? i heard the bullets travel 1.5 miles, so shooting up into a tree doesnt seem like a good idea.. never know what it will hit? do you guys only shoot them from a tree stand so you shoot down into dirt or what??

Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
how do you squirrel hunt with a 22? i heard the bullets travel 1.5 miles, so shooting up into a tree doesnt seem like a good idea.. never know what it will hit? do you guys only shoot them from a tree stand so you shoot down into dirt or what??
shnorse,
1. The guy is from Arizona - so he is probably talking about shooting ground squirrels.
2. You sound totally ignorant of guns and hunting. People have been shooting squirrels out of trees since the rifle was invented. The chances of being hit by a falling bullet in a rural area is almost infinitesimal. If you are concerned and are out in the woods during hunting season maybe you want to get a camoflage hard hat.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #30

Likes Given: 2

ignorant or not... the bullet will be stoped by SOMETHING... and it could be something you do not want it to hit... have that bullet take the wrong path and it will hit little jonny next door... the chances are there... will it most likely be stoped by a tree or hit dirt, sure... but that does not mean i am going to shoot up in the air and wonder where my shot landed...

i hunt safely... some times it's not worth the kill if you have the possability of hurting/killing another human...

to each their own