is a ruger 10-22 a good choice? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > is a ruger 10-22 a good choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

i know absolutly NOTHING when it comes to scopes.. we have 3 shot guns, and a 22, all with the iron sights... i have great accuracy with these, but a scope sure would be nice to have..

what do the numbers stand for and whats the differences?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #12

I mounted a Simmons brand .22 Magnum model scope on my 10/22 and it works great. I'm not the best in the world with a rifle, but it's fun and very inexpensive to try and improve your skills with a scoped .22. They offer plenty of higher capacity magazines.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
i know absolutly NOTHING when it comes to scopes.. we have 3 shot guns, and a 22, all with the iron sights... i have great accuracy with these, but a scope sure would be nice to have..

what do the numbers stand for and whats the differences?
THe numbers stand for the magnification of power, how many times it will magnify the object you are looking at, and what the objective size is. The objective size is how big around the tube that the light comes through is in size. The bigger the tube, the more light gets through, and the brighter the picture ( assuming glass quality to be the same.

Example: Leupold ( who is a very good scope company ) makes a VX-III 4.5 - 14 x 40 mm. This is an adjustable scope.

The 4.5 - is the minimum magnification setting. On the lowest setting, you will magnify the target 4.5 times what a person can see with a naked eye ( assuming clear conditions and good vision )

The 14 - is the Maximum magnification setting. On this setting, you will magnify the intended target by 14 times what a person can see with the naked eye.

There are several settings in between, which as their numbers indicate will be the level of magnification.

The 40mm - is the size of the objective tube. This is the main body of the scope. If you get a 40mm tube, you will need scope rings designed to hold it, so you will need 40mm scope rings to go with it.

Example: Leupold also makes a FX-I 4x28mm Fixed power riflescope. This is designed for rimfire models, like the Ruger 10-22.

The 4 - is the fixed power. No setting to change. Every time you look through the scope, you see four times what the naked eye can see.

The 28mm - is the size of the objective, the main body of the scope. You would need scope rings that would hold a 28mm body to mount this scope.

The higher the numbers, the greater the magnification, and usually the higher the cost.

Hope that helps -

JD

Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3045 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Ease of maintenance. Reasonable accuracy out of the box. Spare parts easily scrounged from the hundreds of thousands of rifles made (one of the most popular and prolific models ever made). Accessories readily available if you are so inclined. The ability to easily change out barrels. My vote goes to the 10-22. I have a Marlin/Glenfield M-60 and it is an accurate reliable little rifle. I have worn it out. The barrel is now loose in the receiver but it works.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #15

Likes Given: 2

alright, thank you all for the help!

Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #16

Now with the same idea as shnorse, i have been looking at the 10-22 Ruger. i have never been a big gun person. But am rapidly getting more involved. for the $220 that bps is going to charge me is it worth it? or is there a better rifle to go with for the money or close to it?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #17

oh really? yea that helps, thank you guys!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #18

10/22 its a great rifle but get the bull barrel

Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #19

Default Scopes

Best scope for what you need should be the question. These are my opinions only. For me the quality starts from Swarovski and works its way down. For a .22 cal (LR) rifle I would never spend the over one thousand dollars it would probably take for that calibre rifle for a swarovski. I have a little .17 mach 2 bull barrel savage and I mounted a 4x32 scope. This scope would be good for a .22 long rifle. A little under power for that mach two though. It was just a scope I had.

I quickly glimpsed at other members answers so I may be repeating someone here I do not know.

The first number on a fixed power scope is the magnification,a 4x32= 4 beeing four times closer and 32 being the objective lens size. The larger the objective lens the more light it will gather and the better quality of seeing your target in morning and evening situations. As far as the variable power scopes lets say a 4-14x50 , the 4 through fourteen is just the different magnifications with four being the lowest and 14 being the highest then the objective being a very good 50 which has great light gathering. My opinion you are wasting you money on buying a variable scope for a .22 lr gun. A four power or maybe at the most six but I still think six is over kill for a .22 lr gun.
A good 4x42 scope from some of the afforadable manuafactures like simmons, BSA, some of the others slip my mind. There is a broad range from like a 89 dollar scopes to as much as you want to spend or "waste".

It has only been in the past few years. 10 to 15 years maybe that variable power scopes became the rage. Kind of like the mountain bike rage. Most of the people that buy a mountain bike have one just because that is what other people are buying. For me I buy the fixed power that suits the environment I will be hunting in. If I were in the west shooting with a .270 or larger calibre gun, a good variable may be OK but I would rather a good fixed 8 to 10 power any day. For the east like here in Tennessee where I live you will more than likely never shoot a deer at more than a hundred yards. It is all hills and woods here. I would mount a good 6 or eight power max on a 270. A .22 just for small game a good 4 or 6 power.

4x32 scope = 4times closer with a moderate light gathering 32 objective lens. I personally like the largest second number I can get in the power. 4x42 or 4x50 you will be able to see much better through it than a 4x32.

Hope this helps.

Daniel

Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #20

Default 10/22 Ruger

I have had marlin and ruger. The ruger being the much more superior gun as far as build and accuracy. When you listen to the ruger cycle as you shoot it it cycles with the clunk clunk of a high quality gun. The marlin just kind of goes so fast a light you can hardly hear it cycle. When I say clunk clunk I am not talking of a cheap sound but like comparing the sound of a honda to a lamborghini. The 10/22 being the lamborghini.

Great rifle and I do not think you will regret it one bit if you purchase it. The most customized 22 as far as barrels and triggers and stocks on the market for competition shooting. If you really want to lay out the bucks get a customized Volquartzin ( ? spelling ) and you will have a one hole shooter on paper. But the bull barrels that come with it are of great quality. They have a sprial bull barrel that looks great. I believe someone said get the bull barrel, well I agree with him 100 percent. Stable and accurate. Beautiful rifle.

Daniel