is a ruger 10-22 a good choice?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > is a ruger 10-22 a good choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default is a ruger 10-22 a good choice?

i was looking at bass pro shops for a semi auto 22, i was highly recommended a Ruger 10-22.. they said the remington that was about 30.00 cheaper was not as good..

how is the Ruger, any complaints? Is it a good reliable gun, or junk... is bass pro shops a good place to buy guns, or can i buy them online for cheaper?

thanks, erick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #2

If typical 22 caliber semiautomatic accuracy is OK with you, then, Ruger's 10/22 is a decent rifle. Personally, I'd look HERE first.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

As with most of these posts, you have to decide what is "good" for you and what is good for someone else.

What are you looking for? Are you looking for a training rifle? Are you looking for a small caliber hunting rifle? What is your end goal for the weapon?

The Ruger 10/22 is a sound platform, and it has an aftermarket that is wide open. You can, literally, buy a bottom of the barrel weapon and change almost every component to make a match grade rifle out of it. You can get special stocks, barrels, magazines, triggers, all sorts of stuff to personalize your weapon.

I have had three in my life. I now own one that I have built up from more of a base model. They are easy to own and maintain, but truth be told, they aren't the most accurate platform out there.

Ammo is cheap - I just spec'd out 525 rounds of .22LR Hollow Points for like $21 at Midway USA, so you can shoot a lot without breaking the bank.

As for Bass Pro - I don't know, I have never shopped there, they aren't big in this neck of the woods. I would spec out what you want, check Google and other sites, then compare the rifle price and features to your local shops....

JD

Old 07-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would take the Marlin 60 over a 10/22 have owned both and the Ruger shot shotgun groups compared to the Marlin which shot verry good all three, that I have owned straight out of the box JMO.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5200 View Post
I would take the Marlin 60 over a 10/22 have owned both and the Ruger shot shotgun groups compared to the Marlin which shot verry good all three, that I have owned straight out of the box JMO.
Perhaps your 10/22 wasn't right and you should have either sent it in for work or maybe youy should have done some tweaking yourself. This little 10/22 will shoot 5 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.

The Ruger 10/22 has more available aftermarket parts then any other rifle on the market today and can be turned into any type shooting machine you want to make it into.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #6

I've had a few .22's and the Ruger 10/22 is by far my personal favorite. I love the feel of this gun and the dependable rotary magazine that fits flush with the stock. I haven't had a single problem with this gun. I purchased this gun at Bass Pro Shops in Orlando, FL approx. 5 years ago when it was on sale. I paid $139.99 for it, which I think is a steal for such a fine gun. I would imagine the price would be much highter now. The stock fits me perfectly, but nobodies the same. If the 10/22 fits you good, then I would definately recommend it.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

how are the rugers on maintenance? easy to clean the barrel out and what not?

i have a bolt action right now.. its an older Remington that shoot straight as an arrow... i love the accuracy of that thing.. i just took it out tonight and shot everything i aimed it at...

the guys at BPS said the Remington they had in semi auto was not as good as the ruger.. is there truth to this?

I am also looking to get a nice scope... any recommendations?
the 10 round clip sounds a bit small... any way i can go bigger, where can i get a larger clip?

THANKS

edit: how hard would i be to get a sling on it? I definitely like having a sling for my guns.

Last edited by shnorse; 07-07-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Marksman View Post
.... This little 10/22 will shoot 5 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. ....
That's awful! Suggest you change to another brand of ammunition.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #9

The 10/22 is a great gun accurate and easy to maintain but like all 22 rimfires it can have a preferance for a certain ammo .

I have had two and both prefered CCI Minmags , would shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards . What more could you want unless you plan on hunting for flies and mosquitos with it .

I would suggest trying one of the 22 scopes sold at Cabelas under their name brand .

I am a fan of the 2X7 powered scopes and tried one on a 30-06 about 4 years ago . It has held it's zero and has never fogged up on me despite hunting in rain and snow storms and temps down to zero with a howling wind and no lense covers , I imagine their 22 scopes would be just fine .

Buy the gun where you can get the best price , my first one was bought at the old Walgreens chain back when they had department stores not just drugstore , no reason a Walmart 10/22 wouldn't be a great rifle .

Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If I was on the market for a 22lr Auto, I'd buy another Marlin Mod. 60. I've never owned a 10/22 or even fired one for that matter, but I have had my Marlin for 22 years and it has never let me down