Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   is a ruger 10-22 a good choice? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-good-choice-5409/)

shnorse 07-06-2008 09:56 PM

is a ruger 10-22 a good choice?

i was looking at bass pro shops for a semi auto 22, i was highly recommended a Ruger 10-22.. they said the remington that was about 30.00 cheaper was not as good..

how is the Ruger, any complaints? Is it a good reliable gun, or junk... is bass pro shops a good place to buy guns, or can i buy them online for cheaper?

thanks, erick

G21.45 07-06-2008 10:11 PM

If typical 22 caliber semiautomatic accuracy is OK with you, then, Ruger's 10/22 is a decent rifle. Personally, I'd look HERE first. :)

Dillinger 07-06-2008 10:19 PM

As with most of these posts, you have to decide what is "good" for you and what is good for someone else.

What are you looking for? Are you looking for a training rifle? Are you looking for a small caliber hunting rifle? What is your end goal for the weapon?

The Ruger 10/22 is a sound platform, and it has an aftermarket that is wide open. You can, literally, buy a bottom of the barrel weapon and change almost every component to make a match grade rifle out of it. You can get special stocks, barrels, magazines, triggers, all sorts of stuff to personalize your weapon.

I have had three in my life. I now own one that I have built up from more of a base model. They are easy to own and maintain, but truth be told, they aren't the most accurate platform out there.

Ammo is cheap - I just spec'd out 525 rounds of .22LR Hollow Points for like $21 at Midway USA, so you can shoot a lot without breaking the bank.

As for Bass Pro - I don't know, I have never shopped there, they aren't big in this neck of the woods. I would spec out what you want, check Google and other sites, then compare the rifle price and features to your local shops....

JD

p5200 07-06-2008 11:51 PM

I would take the Marlin 60 over a 10/22 have owned both and the Ruger shot shotgun groups compared to the Marlin which shot verry good all three, that I have owned straight out of the box JMO. ;)

NY Marksman 07-07-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p5200 (Post 30670)
I would take the Marlin 60 over a 10/22 have owned both and the Ruger shot shotgun groups compared to the Marlin which shot verry good all three, that I have owned straight out of the box JMO. ;)

Perhaps your 10/22 wasn't right and you should have either sent it in for work or maybe youy should have done some tweaking yourself. This little 10/22 will shoot 5 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/Ruger100.jpg

The Ruger 10/22 has more available aftermarket parts then any other rifle on the market today and can be turned into any type shooting machine you want to make it into.

chorst294 07-07-2008 12:06 AM

I've had a few .22's and the Ruger 10/22 is by far my personal favorite. I love the feel of this gun and the dependable rotary magazine that fits flush with the stock. I haven't had a single problem with this gun. I purchased this gun at Bass Pro Shops in Orlando, FL approx. 5 years ago when it was on sale. I paid $139.99 for it, which I think is a steal for such a fine gun. I would imagine the price would be much highter now. The stock fits me perfectly, but nobodies the same. If the 10/22 fits you good, then I would definately recommend it.

shnorse 07-07-2008 12:52 AM

how are the rugers on maintenance? easy to clean the barrel out and what not?

i have a bolt action right now.. its an older Remington that shoot straight as an arrow... i love the accuracy of that thing.. i just took it out tonight and shot everything i aimed it at...

the guys at BPS said the Remington they had in semi auto was not as good as the ruger.. is there truth to this?

I am also looking to get a nice scope... any recommendations?
the 10 round clip sounds a bit small... any way i can go bigger, where can i get a larger clip?

THANKS

edit: how hard would i be to get a sling on it? I definitely like having a sling for my guns.

G21.45 07-07-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Marksman (Post 30672)
.... This little 10/22 will shoot 5 shot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. ....

:eek: That's awful! Suggest you change to another brand of ammunition.

BigO01 07-07-2008 04:11 AM

The 10/22 is a great gun accurate and easy to maintain but like all 22 rimfires it can have a preferance for a certain ammo .

I have had two and both prefered CCI Minmags , would shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards . What more could you want unless you plan on hunting for flies and mosquitos with it .

I would suggest trying one of the 22 scopes sold at Cabelas under their name brand .

I am a fan of the 2X7 powered scopes and tried one on a 30-06 about 4 years ago . It has held it's zero and has never fogged up on me despite hunting in rain and snow storms and temps down to zero with a howling wind and no lense covers , I imagine their 22 scopes would be just fine .

Buy the gun where you can get the best price , my first one was bought at the old Walgreens chain back when they had department stores not just drugstore , no reason a Walmart 10/22 wouldn't be a great rifle .

fapprez 07-07-2008 01:24 PM

If I was on the market for a 22lr Auto, I'd buy another Marlin Mod. 60. I've never owned a 10/22 or even fired one for that matter, but I have had my Marlin for 22 years and it has never let me down:)