Ruger 10/22 FTE - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 FTE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
This is true. Whether you're replacing the extractor or dropping in a new target hammer, always reuse the Ruger springs. I've done this with all my new replacement parts and it's worked out very well for me.
well, since the only springs that were replaced with the trigger group was the hammer spring, and the magazine catch spring, this sounds like a simple test. it will be several weeks before i can get back to the range but will report what i find when i swap the factory hammer spring back in.

thanks to all for the suggestions.

Also to the OP, Should you still have problems with Federal bulk, write down the type for your records (and ours ) I only had one box of the non-champion from Federal and that was the one box that i had issues with. it could be a fluke or that particular type of federal ammo.

"Aim Small, Miss Small"

Curlyjoe

Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Curleyjoe_99 i thought you had replaced the charging handle as well, don't know where I got that idea from.... getting old.

The Federal Bulk was the off the shelf stuff from walmart. Red box 550 "value pack". My daughter and I shot on saturday, no more problems.

Looking back on it I am pretty sure the cast aluminum receiver and the bolt needed to "polish together". Also the charging handle rod was really rough.

After 1k rounds there are polished lanes in the receiver and the charging handle rod is smooth. So before you start spending money on parts for a new rifle, you could polish the receiver and the charging handle rod, or just shoot some higher velocity rounds through it for awhile.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl View Post
Hey Curleyjoe_99 i thought you had replaced the charging handle as well, don't know where I got that idea from.... getting old.

The Federal Bulk was the off the shelf stuff from walmart. Red box 550 "value pack". My daughter and I shot on saturday, no more problems.

Looking back on it I am pretty sure the cast aluminum receiver and the bolt needed to "polish together". Also the charging handle rod was really rough.

After 1k rounds there are polished lanes in the receiver and the charging handle rod is smooth. So before you start spending money on parts for a new rifle, you could polish the receiver and the charging handle rod, or just shoot some higher velocity rounds through it for awhile.
COMMO thanks for the suggestion.... my 1022 already has several thousand through the upper portion. I did polish and debur the entire rifle when i swapped out the factory barrell for a bull type when it was new out of the box.

I still have about 1/2 a brick of the problem ammo in my cabinet, so now it's more of a curiosity for me than a PITA. I am going to try the hammer spring in the VQ2000 trigger assembly and see if that fixes the issue with that one box.

BTW--- glad to hear that yours worked out. maintains my hope that i'll get mine back in tune. I just gotta get around to it. lol

Curlyjoe

Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #24

Update:

the factory springs had no change on my problems. so i swapped them back

Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #25

Default 10/22 FTE possible solution

Now, I did discover something. My magazines, while factory, have a different number molded into them. I have a #1, #2, and two #3's.when I experience the FTE, I also get a flier on the target. So I figure that these rounds are slightly lower velocity than the majority of the box. While troubleshooting I noticed that on the fliers, the cartridge sort of jumps off of the bolt face about 1/2 back. On closer inspection, I found that the differing magazines have a different magazine lip on them. The #1 & #2's have a small step along the edge. The #3 does not. All of the fliers & FTE were on the #1’s & 2’s with none on the #3’s.
The FTTE

The target with two FTE & Two Fliers

The Mags left to right a #1 a #2 two #3's showing the small step along the edge

the Mags after filing & Polishing and the Culprit box of #750 bullk savings pack

I can now manually eject both a casing & a cartridge and it jumps right out of the rifle without catching a step 1/2-way down the mag lip.

more information once i make it back to the range

Oh and yes i did clean the magazines after the pics were taken

Last edited by Curlyjoe_99; 06-06-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome catch Curleyjoe. I just pulled out my 4 magazines. I have one 1 and three 4's. None of mine show the step that yours did.

I'm sure it will have to help.