Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 FTE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hey guys I have an update.

When I went to buy ammo they were cleaned out of most everything, so I couldn't get the cci mini mags. I bought some Winchester super X, pretty much the only thing on the shelf. There were stacks of Remmington which speaks volumes.

All 100 rounds of the Winchester went through flawlessly. I went through another 150 rounds alternating the Federal Bulk, and the CCI Blazer Bulk.
I had 5 more FTE's

I am going to hold off on purchasing a new extractor for a bit and keep running the Winchester and some CCI mini mags through. See if it keeps improving.

Last edited by Commocarl; 05-05-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Good to hear

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #13

Ruger's Official response to my problem

"Response:
Try using high or hyper velocity ammunition. If the problem persists, let us know

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442"

You guys were dead on. Thanks again

Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #14

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I'd recommend a Volquartsen extractor. I'd also recommend getting a small metal rod to drop down the barrel if you can't get a casing out. I have one taped to my stock jic.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 05-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

I finally got some CCI Mini mags

200 CCI Mini Mags - 0 FTE
120 Winchester M-22 - 1 FTE
100 Federal Bulk Pack - 3 FTE

Looks like the more rounds I put through, the better it gets. I am happy with the out of the box accuracy. It is not a $2000 tack driver, but she is close enough for me.

I am confident that by the time I hit 1k rounds, it will fire anything. From my experience there is a break in period for the rifle, but she is a keeper.

Thanks again for all the help.

Carl

Last edited by Commocarl; 05-12-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #16

My .02, I've got a lot of time on 10/22's and the only time I've ever had an issue (although its usually with feeding in the rotary mag) is with Federal Bulk pack ammo. I can neither confirm nor deny this, but I've head that Federal Bulk pack is loaded with "left over" powder, they take whatever powder they have with similar burn rates, put it in a hopper and load 'em. When I heard this I questioned it but then it was pointed out to me that if you listen when you're firing they'll go bang, BANG, Bang, bang, all sounding a little different which would lead to believe its true. Like I said just my two cents.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have 5-.22's and Fed. 550 Bulk Box ammo is my go-to ammo for plinking at the range. I've fired tens of thousands of Fed. .22 rounds over the years without any problems whatsoever. I shoot at least one 550 box per range trip. There usually is one or two rounds per box that won't go bang, but that's to be expected. Nothing like the 10-15% failure rate of the Remington Golden Bullets.

I've also found that the Fed. 550 is surprisingly accurate for plinking ammo.. Here a few targets, all fired at 50 yards.:

Those are through three different guns that are just every day .22's, nothing fancy. One is 70 y.o.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i have the same issue with federal. i replaced my trigger group with a Volquartzen 2000 assembly. Since then, i get FTE on federal ammo. it turns out that i had been using the federal champion and inadvertantly bought one of their other bricks. Champion did not have issues but their other flavors did. before the modification, my 10/22 ate everything that i fed it. No one on other forums were able to help so far, but a local smitty had me polish the chamber (debur) and verify that the extractor pin was in line with the centerline of the rifle and not bent outward. that helped lots, down to one or two FTE's per brick now which is livable for me.

My opinions (IMO)

Clean, polish the chamber. an old timer had me do this on another 22lr when it had issues. same suggestion as my local smitty. no too much but polish in the direction of travel to debur with high grit paper 400+. also polish the pivot point of the extractor "clip" that goes over the case for the same reasons.

check with an empty casing and manually eject the case. watch its trajectory. if the case ejects cleanly at a slow pace, my smitty suggested the polishing and then checking the recoil springs and then the angle of the extractor pin in relation to the centerline of the rifle.

basically you are at the poin of finding a smitty that specializes in 10/22's or researching and watching smity videos until you hit on a solution that you can perform yourself.

hope all of this helps and good luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #19

Curlyjoe_99
I have read a bit about 10/22's lately. From some of the posts I have read, the spring tension is diffrent on the aftermarket stuff.
you could try to replace the aftermarket springs with the originals. This was suggested at rimfire central.
Mine is still stock, so I don't have first hand knowledge.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl View Post
Curlyjoe_99
I have read a bit about 10/22's lately. From some of the posts I have read, the spring tension is diffrent on the aftermarket stuff.
you could try to replace the aftermarket springs with the originals. This was suggested at rimfire central.
Mine is still stock, so I don't have first hand knowledge.
This is true. Whether you're replacing the extractor or dropping in a new target hammer, always reuse the Ruger springs. I've done this with all my new replacement parts and it's worked out very well for me.